Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help! Trying To Setup New MultiSat and Receive MPEG2 HD Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

Hi, everyone....

I am a current DirecTV subscriber and have been for a couple of months. Ever since I"ve been w/ DirecTV I've had a round dish and only received Total Choice programming.

However, I have an HDTV and now want to get HD channels from DirecTV. I also have an HD-TiVo.

Last week a buddy from AVS gave me his old multisatellite dish to replace my round. The idea was that I would install it myself and now be able to pick up the MPEG2 HD channels and record them using my HD-TiVo.

Here's the problem. I have the new dish set up and I"ve ran guided setup on the HD-TiVo. I am getting excellent signal strenght on Satellite A (101) and Satellite C (110). However, I am getting NOTHING on Satellite B (119).

I was using a multiswitch with my old round dish, but have since bypassed the multiswitch now that the new oval dish has a built-in multiswitch, so that can't be the issue.

Of course, I"ve considered that it might be placed incorrectly, and I've moved the azimuth of my dish all over trying to pick up sat b (119) and no matter what I do, I can't get it.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you so much for you help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,379 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

It's all about aiming, alignment and having a clear line of site to the three satellites. What sort of aiming equipment and signal meters are you using? It's very easy to be aimed at the wrong satellites and not realize it .... for example, you might have the 101-deg LNB actually aimed at the 110-deg SatC satellite, which would mean your 110-deg LNB is aimed at the 119-deg SatB satellite, which would mean that your 119-deg LNB is aimed at nothing.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

Wow, that just went right over my head. =]

I really appreciate your response and I'll try and answer you questions as best as I can....

I guess the aiming equipment I'm using is a standard compass. As for signal meters, I"m using the HD-TiVo's setup guide as my strength tester.

I did not know that you could individuall aim the LNB's.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,379 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

Wow, that just went right over my head. =]

I did not know that you could individuall aim the LNB's.

It can be very challenging if you've never aligned one of these before.

You cannot "individually aim the LNBs". What I mean is that, since they're all mounted together, it's easy to have the whole LNB assembly aimed off by one or two satellites. Then the individual LNBs will be aimed at the wrong satellites.

You should consider how much your time and sanity are worth. It might be time to call a professional installer.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:11 PM

I have installed a round dish before with no problem.

I'm thinking that perhaps one of the LNBs is bad. I figure if I can get the 101 sat and the 119 sat then there is no reason why I shouldn't be getting the middle one.

#6 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:42 PM

Try and follow what litzdog911 suggested. You have three satellites and three LNB modules. Each LNB has to look at a specific satellite. You normally align the 101 and 119 sats and the 110 sat will fall in by default if you've got the other two peaked. What litzdog911 was suggesting is that you have somehow aligned the dish so the LNB that's supposed to be looking at the 119 sat is actually looking at 110 and the 110 LNB is looking at 101. You've probably got the dish offset so it's only seeing 2 of the 3 sats.

I ran into this exact same problem when aligning a DishNetwork dish for the first time. Once I realized what was going on I was able to get it aligned properly.

Here's what I would recommend you try. I believe the Phase III dish manual has you align the dish with one of the satellites first (either the 101 or 119 but I can't recall which) and then align the other outer sat and LNB. Find the cables coming off the dish for the first LNB module you are supposed to be aligning and disconnect the cables from the other two LNB modules at the multiswitch or grounding block. Do not disconnect the cables from the lnb as this will require removing the assembly from the arm and will screw up your alignment.

I like to use a standlone receiver and small 5" B&W TV so I can see and hear the signal levels on the transponders to aid in making my alignment. If you have a satellite signal meter so much the better. Align the dish until you get a signal on the correct satellite. This is easy to check if you are looking at the signal level display from the receiver set to the corresponding satellite. Just make sure you haven't selected a spot beam transducer to monitor or you could be searching for a signal that isn't there.

Since you are limiting yourself to seeing only one sat then you will eliminate all chance of offset error by aligning the LNB with the wrong sat. When you have confirmed that you have the correct sat lined up go ahead and reconnect the other LNBs to your multiswitch and complete the alignment. The rest of the job should go much easier once you have set your baseline.

#7 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:49 AM

"I'm thinking that perhaps one of the LNBs is bad. I figure if I can get the 101 sat and the 119 sat then there is no reason why I shouldn't be getting the middle one"

One of the LNBS could indeed be bad, but in your original post you said you were not getting the 119 satellite. That is satellite B, but it is not the middle satellite--it is the most westerly, or most-right satellite. Is there an obstruction to the right?

The first install location for my dish had the 119 blocked and it had to be moved, with the RG-6 buried under the driveway. A lot more trouble, but it gave me my locals!

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:29 AM

Most likely the dish is just aimed at the wrong satellite.

A round dish points at the 101.

The oval 3-LNB dish points at 110.

Swing your dish a few degrees west and you should be okay.

Carl

spam firewall