Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What Will They Give Me to Come Back?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bcrossan

bcrossan

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:01 AM

I was with DirecTV for 4-5 years up until 7 months ago when I went to digital cable while I was in temporary housing. I originally called them to cancel the account but they talked me into just putting it on hold. My house is about ready and I would like to go back to DTV but I don't have the HDTV DTV/Tivo box and that is what I want and I am not thrilled about spending $400 on it. I am planning to call DTV and tell them that my cable company is making it very attractive to stay with them in my new house - competitive pricing, no $400 box to buy, no install to worry about, etc. in hopes that they will greatly reduce the $400 price for the Tivo box. I am sure they will want like a 2 year committment from me which is fine. Any thoughts on what kind of a deal they will make me and how hard I need to push to get it? Curious to hear experiences others have had.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Skip Towne

Skip Towne

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:08 AM

I was with DirecTV for 4-5 years up until 7 months ago when I went to digital cable while I was in temporary housing. I originally called them to cancel the account but they talked me into just putting it on hold. My house is about ready and I would like to go back to DTV but I don't have the HDTV DTV/Tivo box and that is what I want and I am not thrilled about spending $400 on it. I am planning to call DTV and tell them that my cable company is making it very attractive to stay with them in my new house - competitive pricing, no $400 box to buy, no install to worry about, etc. in hopes that they will greatly reduce the $400 price for the Tivo box. I am sure they will want like a 2 year committment from me which is fine. Any thoughts on what kind of a deal they will make me and how hard I need to push to get it? Curious to hear experiences others have had.

Thanks!

They gave me leather products. (a boot in the ***.)

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:14 AM

They gave me leather products. (a boot in the ***.)

Wow. Real helpful.

bcrossan,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

A lot could depend on how you handled your account prior to suspending. I'm guessing if they made an effort to suspend rather than cancel you, you did all right. If you kept your account in good standing, your chances of getting a decent deal are much better than if you had late payments and things such as that.

I think you can also typically get better deals by talking with the Retention Department (1-800-824-0739). It could be anything from programming credits and/or free shipping to a real decent chunk off the price. Seems that things differ so much between the people calling and who they actually talk to, so it's hard to say what you might get.

Also right now, if you have any inclination toward Sunday Ticket, that would help as they are pushing that pretty hard and tying in equipment deals with that.

Good luck!

#4 OFFLINE   bcrossan

bcrossan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

Wow. Real helpful.

bcrossan,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

A lot could depend on how you handled your account prior to suspending. I'm guessing if they made an effort to suspend rather than cancel you, you did all right. If you kept your account in good standing, your chances of getting a decent deal are much better than if you had late payments and things such as that.

I think you can also typically get better deals by talking with the Retention Department (1-800-824-0739). It could be anything from programming credits and/or free shipping to a real decent chunk off the price. Seems that things differ so much between the people calling and who they actually talk to, so it's hard to say what you might get.

Also right now, if you have any inclination toward Sunday Ticket, that would help as they are pushing that pretty hard and tying in equipment deals with that.

Good luck!

Luc

Thanks for the info, especially the retention dept #. I see the HD Tivo retailing for $400 so I am hoping they will give me like $200 off that. I remember a few months ago that was the price if you signed a 2 yr HD package with them (if memory serves). I have never paid late and I think my account was suspended only since I still get statements at $0 each month. You think that expectation is too high?

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:31 PM

Not really. If you look at some of the other threads, some people have gotten some pretty good deals. "Your results may vary" :).

Be coureous and polite, but give them the scenario you outlined in your original post. You've liked their service in the past and would like to get back to it now that you're in your new place, but cable has a very attractive offer and you wanted to see what DirecTv might be able to do for you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...