Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Use the Sun to Site New Satellite Dish

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

Guys, take advantage of this. My wife is really interested in Sky Angel which is at 61.5 which I thought for sure was blocked by a tree. But nope, it's a lot higher in the sky then I thought when I checked it this morning. It's way above the tree anywhere in my backyard.

So take advantage the next week or so if someone is telling you you've got no line of sight. Those sats are a lot higher in the sky then you might think.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

So take advantage the next week or so if someone is telling you you've got no line of sight. Those sats are a lot higher in the sky then you might think.

Believe it or not, there are people in the continental US that reside over 2000 miles West of you. Where I live, the elevation is just under 12 degrees above the horizon. In Seattle, the elevation is just under 11 degrees. Echostar 12, the lone satellite at 61.5, is quite a ways out over the Atlantic Ocean.

Which Dish Network receiver would you get?

#43 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:27 AM

Believe it or not, there are people in the continental US that reside over 2000 miles West of you. Where I live, the elevation is just under 12 degrees above the horizon. In Seattle, the elevation is just under 11 degrees. Echostar 12, the lone satellite at 61.5, is quite a ways out over the Atlantic Ocean.

Which Dish Network receiver would you get?

Oh I understand completely. I was just suprised at how much higher all the sats were in the sky then I thought they were and I'd bet many other people may think the same. For example I was really concerned about a tree blocking 99/101 in a couple years but both are *way* above the tree and will never have an issue.

As for Sky Angel, I really don't want to get it. Mainly because I'd have to bury another cable in the yard to the house and I put in a patio a couple years ago which really causes an issue with that. Plus I could care less about the channels myself but if she really wants them...

I brought up the list of Sky Angel channels for my wife and asked her what was on there that she really wanted that wasn't already on DirecTV. The main one she wanted DirecTV already has and DirecTV does have some other church channels and the music channel is actually available OTA to us as a subchannel of the local Pax station. So for $15 a month she might get all of one channel, maybe two. Not worth it in my book. We'll see what kind of toy I can negotiate out of it if she really wants to get it. :D

#44 OFFLINE   telewireman

telewireman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

I'm sure you're extremely busy but I'm trying to calculate where the sun in relation to the satellites so that I may place my dish in the optimal location on my property. I'm located at 76.38 W and 39.10 N. Can you let me what time the sun will be in the correct location for tomorrow 3/12 for all 5 sats? 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119?

Thank you so much

I'm just a newbie trying to figure it all out. Of coarse you know D* already told me that my yard will not work....but I've had D* for 4 years putting it in place myself.

All the best
Robert

I check mine every year for the same reason. Makes it very easy to see how close interfering trees have grown.

Also, remember that any dates within a week on either side of the "ideal" dates will work fine, too.

#45 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:36 PM

Monday March 12th at 12:00 noon (pacific daylight time), the sun will be approximately where the 101 satellite is. The satellite will be just a tiny bit lower than the sun.

Same day at approximately 1:17 pm (PDT) the sun will be approximately where the 119 degree satellite is. Again, the sun will be about 3 degrees higher than the satellite.

If you have a clear view of the sun from about 11:50 am to 1:30 pm, you can see all of the satellites.

Carl

#46 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:14 AM

I found this thread after my dish was installed and was disappointed that I had missed the March dates for the sun to check my positioning. After checking the site, I realized there were dates in April of 2007 that the moon would be in the right position as well. While moon shadows are not as easy, I thought I could at least get an idea of where the satellites would be in relation to a tree south of me on my neighbor's lot. I camped out in my backyard for a couple of hours last night with my camera on a tripod and got the following pictures at the times listed on the site for each satellite I am very pleased to see that the satellites are much higher in the sky than it would appear if you look at the dish. It will be several years before the tree is going to be a problem, if ever.

Thank you to litzdog911 for this great tool!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:40 AM

This theory worked for me.I found a spot to mount my spare 2 lnb dish in case something happens to the slimline.
Thank god i saved them old dig safe flags!!

#48 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

heres a pic of my spare dish i keep it inside so when i need it i can just put it ouside& tweak the azumith and woooooo hoooooooo TV.:)

Attached Thumbnails

• Pict0007.JPG

Jimmy

#49 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

One 5-LNB slimline on the roof, one on the back deck. Hot spare if you will. Right now one is feeding a test SWM, the other is feeding my regular system.

Here is the sun at 99 and 119.

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

Carl

#50 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

Here is the sun at 99 and 119.

Carl

Were those taken on the date in March when elevation and azimuth of the sun match the respective satellite(s)?

#51 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:04 PM

Were those taken on the date in March when elevation and azimuth of the sun match the respective satellite(s)?

Actually last October on the correct date and time. No sunshine this March on the proper dates.

Carl

#52 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:41 PM

Actually last October on the correct date and time. No sunshine this March on the proper dates.

Carl

Very cool. :D

#53 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Carl

That can be a problem for us in Seattle! I was hoping to update my photos during the March window, but no sunny days. I have photos from March 2006, but need to keep tabs on some nearby trees.

Glad this information is useful to folks!
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#54 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

That can be a problem for us in Seattle! I was hoping to update my photos during the March window, but no sunny days. I have photos from March 2006, but need to keep tabs on some nearby trees.

Glad this information is useful to folks!

As I said above, it certainly reassured me to see the moon above those trees at the sync times. Thanks again! :)

BTW, for anyone who wondered why the picture of the 99 degree azimuth didn't seem to be in the same position as the others, I moved the tripod after that one because I thought I might not be able to get the moon in the frame at the 119 azimuth from the original camera position.

#55 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Very nice to find this post now that I'm ready to ditch cable.

But after running the numbers for all 5 satellites, I have two questions.

First is that when I enter the satellite at 119.0, nothing happens. It seems that the largest number I can enter for the satellite is 118.2. After that there is no change. If anyone wants to check, I'm at 34.01N 118.3W

My second question is about the numbers I receive form this page (directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp?) when I enter my zip code. It gives me 136.3 Azimuth and 46.3 Elevation. But the numbers I receive from the French Java applet never match the azimuth from the Directv website. I can get the right elevation (with satellite at 101.0) but the the right azinuth only comes with the satellite at 90.2, which I don't think it exists.

Since I'm a nubee regarding satellites I don't know if the non matching numbers matter or not, but I'm sure curious about what it means.

Thanks

remember that the usa is in WEST longitude, and NORTH lattitude.

the applet defaults to east longitude.
....Not Purchased.

#56 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:11 AM

Am I reading this right that the moon can be used tomorrow and Friday for this?

#57 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

And the time is showing -4 GMT but isn't Eastern time US -5 GMT?

#58 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:43 AM

And the time is showing -4 GMT but isn't Eastern time US -5 GMT?

EDT is -4 GMT EST is -5 GMT
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#59 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

EDT is -4 GMT EST is -5 GMT

True, but we are still 5 hours behind GMT right now. We always are except for the couple weeks a year where we change before the UK does.

So basically subtract an extra hour off the time they give.

#60 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

True, but we are still 5 hours behind GMT right now. We always are except for the couple weeks a year where we change before the UK does.

So basically subtract an extra hour off the time they give.

GMT does NOT change with the seasons. EST is always GMT -5 and EDT is always GMT -4. BTW, GMT is now called Coordinated Universal Time. http://nist.time.gov...gi?Eastern/d/-5
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

spam firewall