Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV problem or local problem?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   edouble

edouble

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

Just got DTV a few weeks ago after having it for a few years prior to that, switching to cable, then switching back.

Anyways, on one of my local channels I'm getting frequent audio dropouts and some ghosting in my image. When the audio dropouts get really bad, I'll see for a split-second some multicolored vertical lines on the screen.

Well, my signal strength is pretty good -- I'm getting a 94-95 on an R15 and every other channel is crystal clear.

Is it the channel or my DTV? At first I was convinced it was the channel, but then I noticed that OTA the local channel looks fine with none of the aforementioned problems. Any help would be much appreciated so I know who to call!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   1930Ray

1930Ray

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

Just got DTV a few weeks ago after having it for a few years prior to that, switching to cable, then switching back.

Anyways, on one of my local channels I'm getting frequent audio dropouts and some ghosting in my image. When the audio dropouts get really bad, I'll see for a split-second some multicolored vertical lines on the screen.

Well, my signal strength is pretty good -- I'm getting a 94-95 on an R15 and every other channel is crystal clear.

Is it the channel or my DTV? At first I was convinced it was the channel, but then I noticed that OTA the local channel looks fine with none of the aforementioned problems. Any help would be much appreciated so I know who to call!

Check all your cable connections, be sure they are tight. I recently had a similar problem on one reciever and found a loose connection.

#3 OFFLINE   1930Ray

1930Ray

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

Check all of your cable connections, be sure they are tight. I recently had a similar problem on one of my recievers and found a loose connection.

#4 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

Contact the chief engineer at your local station, and have them work with D*.
Usually there is a problem on how the signal from the local station is being
delivered to D*'s uplink. Be prepared however for each one to blaim the other
for a poor signal.

#5 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:37 AM

More than likely, they're using a cheapie antenna to pick up an off the air signal at the Local Receive Facilty.
I don't know where you're located in SC, but the LRF in Charleston is at WCBD and at WLTX in Columbia. The address for the one in Greenville is at 224 Westfield St. I'd also contact the Chief Engineer where the LRF is located.
But moonman is right. They'll probably blame each other for the problem. I went through this with the local PBS station here.

#6 OFFLINE   edouble

edouble

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:43 PM

Wait so would the LRF be a WOLO (in this case problem) or a DTV one? So frustrating. What's weird is that other people have GOT to be experiencing the same thing, and yet...

#7 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

It's hard telling where the problem is located, and they'll all probably play the blame game.You're in Columbia so the LRF is at WLTX.
The LRF at WLTX is probably using an OTA antenna to pick up the signal from WOLO and them all the signals from the Columbia stations are fed from the LRF to Directv.
I'd suggest you complain (if you haven't already) to the Chief Engineers at both
WOLO and WLTX as well as Directv.
I'd bet the picture from WLTX is great because they're probably using a fiber optic feed from their Master Control to the LRF which is what they should all be using.

#8 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:10 PM

I would call directv and report it, the call center in Las Vegas, for example, has (or had at the time I quit) a board for reps to post to with problems for specific areas. Once they had 5 seperate incidences, it would go up the food chain to the engineers (In L.A., I think).
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   shy007

shy007

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:24 AM

The locals in Columbia are not up to par.... The ABC station has been horrible for weeks now..... If you call directv, all they do is tell you turn off your receiver.... I have given up.... My sister has Dish and the locals look much better.....

Call if you are from Columbia... It takes more than one person to get something fixed..... I have emailed WOLO several times in the past.... I gave up on the WB station......

#10 OFFLINE   LeoGetz

LeoGetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:00 AM

I am in the Boston area and I get the same issues on the HD locals....Called complained...Never had the issue until I got the new dish and the new hd box. I had a samsung HD rec and OTA and the channels were great...now they have issues every 30 mins or so. I am waiting for a new box or Verizon to get FIOS in my area. I am very dissapointed in the D* HD service.
www.alliedgovernment.org

Protected By... spam firewall...And...