Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR10-250 or wait? Help a D* HD Noob

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bcrossan

bcrossan

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:37 PM

I live in Austin, TX so I am sure the conversion to MPEG-4 broadcasts will be a while from now - but I would be interested to know if there is a list by city?? Is it worth it to get a HR10-250 now, assuming I can get it at no cost from customer retention, or wait for the HR20? Or should I try and negotiate a deal on the Hr20? Any ideas what happens to HR10 owners once your area converts to MPEG-4?? Advice is appreciated

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Niles

Niles

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

Actually the Austin HD Locals are coming fairly soon. Wait for the HR20 if you absolutely must have your locals in HD, otherwise get the HR10-250 (ON EDIT: ...and get your hd locals from OTA when they become availiable).

#3 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,294 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:20 PM

According to the list here Austin is scheduled for HD locals in September. I assume that means we will also be able to get the HR20 at that time, since they are supposed to be going national in mid September. I have an antenna and several ATSC tuners and get all of the locals with a strong signal and appreciate having the sub channels for weather, so the sat feed isn't really necessary in many locations. You will need the 5 LNB dish and either an H20 or HR20 when D* starts adding more HD channels. I have an HR10 and am hoping for a good upgrade to the HR20. There are often new promotions available. :D

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#4 OFFLINE   uscjb

uscjb

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:19 AM

I live in Austin, TX so I am sure the conversion to MPEG-4 broadcasts will be a while from now - but I would be interested to know if there is a list by city?? Is it worth it to get a HR10-250 now, assuming I can get it at no cost from customer retention, or wait for the HR20? Or should I try and negotiate a deal on the Hr20? Any ideas what happens to HR10 owners once your area converts to MPEG-4?? Advice is appreciated

I purchased the HR 10-250..what a big mistake..I was not told that it would not receive local HD channels like the HD20 (non-DVR)...new model, HD20-250 is now out and at Best Buy for $299.....upgrade....
My question, also seeing lots of chatter about a HR20-700...anyone know if it actually is just the HR20-250?

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,710 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

My question, also seeing lots of chatter about a HR20-700...anyone know if it actually is just the HR20-250?

There has been some speculation that BestBuy's units may have a different model number (HR20-250). But if that's true they're exactly the same as the HR20-700. And it could just be a typo. BestBuy had several errors on their Web site when the HR10-250 was first launched, too (for example, 90day warranty instead of 1 year).
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:52 PM

I'd be inclined to think it's just a typo. OTOH, many retail chain stores have arrangements with manufacturers to put unique model numbers on the items they sell. They may actually be identical to a manufacturer's model but most stores will do a price match if you can get a better deal on the same model elsewhere. Since no other retailers will have that exact part number they never have to match anyone else's price.

I discovered this little trick about 20 years ago when looking for a good deal on a 20" TV for our bedroom. I had my eye on a little Zenith model I spotted at Circuit City but when I checked at other Zenith dealers, the model was nowhere to be found. I found a Zenith model that was exactly the same but it had a different model number. I have since discovered that this is a common practice throughout the industry.

I don't know if this practice is in effect like it once was because the consumer electronics market has really taken off over the past couple of decades with the advancements made in home entertainment. Most people will look for specific makes and models of equipment and are more savvy than they used to be.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...