Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jittery video is back!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   junianby

junianby

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

The jittery video has started again on the 622. I have to do 2 or 3 reboots a day to fix the problem then it comes back after a few hours. What a pain in the butt!!!
Nick Byers
HR22-100
H20-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:02 PM

Any particular channel, so I can try to keep an eye out for it? Live, delayed, DVR?
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   junianby

junianby

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

Mark,
It is on all of the above. And it has been on SD and HD channels.
Nick Byers
HR22-100
H20-100

#4 OFFLINE   davpel

davpel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:21 PM

Mark,
It is on all of the above. And it has been on SD and HD channels.

Same here in Detroit with one of my 622s.

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:23 AM

Does it come and go? Does it seem to come and go based on content?

Is it on all of the channels all of the time?

davpel.. are you saying that it is only effecting one of your 622s but not the other while watching the exact same content?

Any particular programs that you see it on all the time?

When you say SD/HD. Can one of you provide a few channels and programs where you are seeing it on?

How often are you seeing it?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but would like to see if one of us could see it too.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   SHADO 1

SHADO 1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:38 AM

I get this about 2 to 3 times a week...happens on any channel including OTA, recorded material as well. Using the old trick of hitting the pause or the skip back function does work, or the reboot. I wonder if this could be tied into one of the OTA channels losing signal that is creating this problem? I'm on my 3rd 622 due to other problems and every one of them has displayed this problem.
Chuck

I'm not prejudiced by so called previous knowledge

#7 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:59 AM

I get this about 2 to 3 times a week...happens on any channel including OTA, recorded material as well. Using the old trick of hitting the pause or the skip back function does work, or the reboot. I wonder if this could be tied into one of the OTA channels losing signal that is creating this problem? I'm on my 3rd 622 due to other problems and every one of them has displayed this problem.

Same here, yesterday was really bad. I think it has improved somewhat since March though. I usually notice on the news channels first (CNN, FOX, CNBC) with a really jerky sports or stock tickers. Then checking the voom channels HGHD was very bad yesterday. My OTA SD and HD channels always have mildly annoying jittery video and that is with 100% signal strength. Today is much better. I tried to think of what might cause this like recroding two HD channels while watching a third with three minutes available disk space. That works fine today. My TV is a 1080p dlp connected with an HDMI cable. I have switched to component when having the problem and the problem is there as well.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:26 AM

We also had a lot of jittery video and audio yesterday, maily on the locals out of Salt Lake City. It got so bad we "lost" the picture a couple of times on CBS Big Brother.

This was thru the Dish feed, we don't have any OTA.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? So. Utah

#9 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:32 AM

I see it sometimes but it is only on the main hdtv. I don't see it on the sd tv in the other room and I am set to single mode. It ususally goes away after a few seconds to a minute. A reboot will make it go away everytime. I see it on ota stations and hd and sd channels. It is very rare though.

#10 OFFLINE   sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:57 AM

I saw the same thing last night -

Was watching Big Brother off of the DVR. It was recorded off of the SD Local Feed last night. Looked like I was watching Charlie Chaplin for awhile. I did the skip back a few times and it went away.

I didn't see any problems this morning. I was watching Today live off of the OTA while eating breakfast. My kid is in watching Wallace & Grommet right now off of the DVR (recorded from HBO-E feed Saturday night). Neither instance was I getting the herky jerkies this morning.
DirecTV HR20-700 & R15
Apple iPhone & iPod Shuffle
Sirius Stiletto & Sirius in-dash Mercury Mariner

#11 OFFLINE   davpel

davpel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

Does it come and go? Does it seem to come and go based on content?

Is it on all of the channels all of the time?

davpel.. are you saying that it is only effecting one of your 622s but not the other while watching the exact same content?

Any particular programs that you see it on all the time?

When you say SD/HD. Can one of you provide a few channels and programs where you are seeing it on?

How often are you seeing it?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but would like to see if one of us could see it too.

I didn't spend a lot of time with my secondary 622, but I sure didn't notice it during the few minutes I had it on. With respect to the other 622, the problem was horribble last night. It was only on the SD channels, but it affected all of them. I was trying to watch the Tigers game on FSD (ch 430) and the stuttering was so bad that you could see the scroll along the bottom stop and start constantly. Thankfully, I quickly realized that the Tigers were also on ESPN2 HD and that looked beautiful!

As of today, both 622s are fine again.

#12 OFFLINE   sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:50 AM

I was watching "The Contender" on ESPN HD last night. About 45 minutes in, the jitters started, and it was BAD. Nothing I did would stop it - put a 15 sec buffer in, skipped back a couple of times, etc. After Contender ended, I switched over to Seinfeld (Detroit HD Local) and there was no jittering. I just opened up The Contender recording on 622 DVR, and the stuttering was there at the end of the recording as well.

I also noticed a secondary issue yesterday as well - the audio on the Detroit CBS HD Local was off by about 3 seconds all day yesterday.
DirecTV HR20-700 & R15
Apple iPhone & iPod Shuffle
Sirius Stiletto & Sirius in-dash Mercury Mariner

#13 OFFLINE   Rodsman

Rodsman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

I've seen this lately with these shows on the scifi channel. Only dvr so far and it's been awhile since I've seen it so it took some time to realize what was going on. Very hard on the eyes and reboots didn't help me.

#14 OFFLINE   lbeck

lbeck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:11 AM

Using the old trick of hitting the pause or the skip back function does work, or the reboot.

I'm getting the jitters also, and I've tried all sorts of functins to rid my machine of it, including the listed cure (but not the reboot.) I've had my 622 for 3-4 months.

If I reboot, do I loose all of my settings and record schedule? I have the 622 and it has worked flawlessly until now. The jerky video is most noticable when there is a scrolling message on the screen, like you typically get on news channels. I've tried FF, Rew, Pause, etc and nothing gets the smooth motion back. I've also rtied turning the equipment off using remote control (brings up the "Hit Select" message).

Any suggestion as to how to get the equipment back to smooth video? I suspect that it is a problem with the HDD. Or is it a software problem?

Thanks.

#15 OFFLINE   gsarjeant

gsarjeant

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:16 AM

If I reboot, do I loose all of my settings and record schedule?

No, it will retain all of your settings if you reboot.

#16 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:27 AM

I've ordered but not yet received my 622. With all the problems the last couple of weeks, I've got serious leasers remorse. My 942 works flawlessly (other than the unit rebooting when watching the local OTA NBC affiliate).

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

#17 OFFLINE   lbeck

lbeck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

I've got serious leasers remorse

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've never has a 942 or any DVR so my upgrade (from a receiver/DVHS combo) was quite major. I'm still deleriously happy with the new technology. I of course want the hardware to be perfect since I am somewhat of a videophile, but I'm hoping that there are workarounds, fixes, software patches, or whatever to fix the jitters. They're not noticable except in certain viewing situations, but I still want it fixed.

Apparently the 942 isn't absolutely perfect either.

#18 OFFLINE   Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

Gawd, the video started the stutter and jitter thing last night. Ironically, I rarely had that problem with the other software releases. WAF not so good when I try to do a reset during her favorite sitcom.

I also own a 942 and never experienced the video jitter...

#19 OFFLINE   lbeck

lbeck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

the video started the stutter and jitter thing last night.

I never noticed it until today also, and I always watch the scrolling banner on my morning news (where it's most noticable).

I'm wondering if there was some software download or other item that has caused this all of a sudden.

Another thing - how do you reboot? I plan to try this to see if it presents a cure or workaround. I can't find ctl-alt-del on my 622!

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:11 PM

Reboot:

Hold down your power button and count to 10.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...