Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jittery video is back!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   gradybuck

gradybuck

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

My DVR playbacks are all jittery when fast forwarding. Started a few weeks ago. Recordings are all off satellite. I assumed it had something to do with a software download. No jitters anywhere else.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dahauss

dahauss

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

Well I have the jittery video on my 622 and it has the latest software update. It now appears that the jittery video is ONLY on bright scenes (IE white beach, etc).. it doesnt matter SD, HD or even the on demand stuff. I watched the free food network on demand and it was jumping at certain times...

#43 OFFLINE   dahauss

dahauss

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

is there any update to this?? I guess I need to call dish.... Im also getting the "there is a switch error" which I was not getting before.. it only happens on the 622 and NOT the 211 I also have

#44 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

I am seeing both of the issues you mentioned. I occasionally see jittery video for anywhere from 5 - 30 seconds and then it goes away. At the most I'll see this maybe 1 time in an hour, usually less than that. As for the check switch error, I'll see that every few days and it goes away right away. Hopefully they will be fixed in the next release.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#45 OFFLINE   curiousmike

curiousmike

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:31 AM

Hi - new guy here, just had Dish HD installed a few days ago.

I think I'm experiencing the "jittery" video.

It's a horizontal band ( or three ) of garbage that shows up on the screen.
It's not all channels.
It's not all the time.

It seems to be more frequent on HD.

For sure, the top most part of the screen seems to be continually "warbled"... maybe the top 10-20 horizontal pixels.

I have my system configured to go from the 622 component output to a cheap component switcher into my (LCD) TV.

#46 OFFLINE   johnsbin

johnsbin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:40 AM

For sure, the top most part of the screen seems to be continually "warbled"... maybe the top 10-20 horizontal pixels.

This is a common effect seen in the digital realm where the display is not using any overscan. Most CRT televisions are set for anywhere from 5 to 15% overscan to cover these rough edges that contain the audio and closed captioning signals.

I see it when I am watching an HD channel and when it goes to commercial, the commercial is SD content. The top of the screen will contain this effect. If I watch an SD show with my digital projector, I use the overscan function to push this off the screen. LCD and plasma screens will also show this effect unless overscan has been set on the display.
ViP622, Optoma HD70, 90" screen

#47 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:49 AM

This is not jittery video. I know what you are seeing, I see it occasionally myself, maybe once every 2 - 3 hours on some HD stations, HBO-HD is one of them. Jittery video is when the entire image seems jerky and not fluid, almost like every other frame is missing during playback. It comes and goes but these days does not seem to last very long, usually. i.e. I may see it for 30 seconds every hour or 2 when watching some content.
Rob

#48 OFFLINE   curiousmike

curiousmike

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

Rob - I see it more than occasionally.

Do other people see this?

I'm ruling out poor cabling because 80% of the image is perfect... maybe that's naive.

Has there been a discussion about what I'm seeing? It's hard to come up with a search phrase for "horizontal lines warbling messed up blah blah blah"
:)

#49 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

I think the common term used around here is macro-blocking or pixelation. What stations are you seeing this with? If locals are they Dish provided or OTA? I also see this when I'm having signal issues, i.e. on stations located on the 129 satellite when it has it's issues every 45 minutes or so, but typically it results in a complete loss of picture for a minute when it starts to happen.
Rob

#50 OFFLINE   curiousmike

curiousmike

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

( Trying to come up to speed on all the terms... 129 satellite?!? :o )

I don't use OTA on my setup.

For sure, it happens on locals provided by Dish and some of the HD channels.

So far, I have not noticed complete loss of picture.

I'll try to compile more data ( SD vs. HD vs. channels ) and come back with a more complete picture (HA!) of what's happening.

#51 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:29 AM

129 is one of the Satellites you get your stations from. Some locals are there as well as most of the newer national HD channels. If you have a Dish1000 on your roof you are seeing 3 satellites, 110, 119, and 129 (numbers are their orbital location). If you go to the Echostar Knowledge Base, http://ekb.dbstalk.com/ you can see which channels are on which satellite. The one at 129 seems to be having ongoing hardware issues in which the signal drops, pretty dramatically every 45 minutes or so. The closer you live to the edge of the coverage area of this satellite the worse the drop. It's the worst on the west coast and more so the further north you are. Looks like you are in Northern CA so you are probably getting a fair drop in signal strength on this bird. If all the channels you are having problems on are on 129 it may be the culprit. You may be losing enough signal to cause the minor pixelation, but not enough to lose signal completely. Definitely check that out. If that is the case you can try calling Dish back and getting them to install a 2nd, larger, standalone dish on your roof just for 129 to boost it's signal.
Rob

#52 OFFLINE   jmcginn825

jmcginn825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:15 AM

It's not all channels.
It's not all the time.

It seems to be more frequent on HD.

I have my system configured to go from the 622 component output to a cheap component switcher into my (LCD) TV.

I think am having the same issue that you are talking about. It will be different horizontal bands (or sometimes patches) on the screen. What's crazy is that if focuses on specific areas. For example this morning, when I was watching Good Morning America, it kept happening on the scrolling bar across the bottom. The are will "pixelate" into large squares and then go back to normal.

It also focuses on things like faces, areas of color, etc.

It do have it in an enclosed cabinet and the temps are 107,120,138 (I have it cooled and actively vented).

Has anyone else been having this problem??

It is driving me craaaaaazy!

#53 OFFLINE   bhoth

bhoth

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

Mine got worse in the last couple of days. Mine seems to do it on OTA channels as well as Dish channels which leads me to believe that it's the reciever more than the signal.

Also, the recording is worse than watching it live.

Any ideas?

thanks,

#54 OFFLINE   racermurray

racermurray

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

I have also had jittery video on the "good morning america" scroll bar , as well as other programs.
I have repaired this by switching from 1080i to 720p.

I do not know why this repair works but it does with my 40"LCD TV.

#55 OFFLINE   jmcginn825

jmcginn825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

I have also had jittery video on the "good morning america" scroll bar , as well as other programs.
I have repaired this by switching from 1080i to 720p.

I do not know why this repair works but it does with my 40"LCD TV.

How do you switch to 1080i? Is it in the HDTV setup?

#56 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:53 AM

Yes.... (Menu-6-8)
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#57 OFFLINE   curiousmike

curiousmike

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

Also, the recording is worse than watching it live.

I haven't noticed this.

However, I have noticed that HD recordings via the DVR look worse than live.

The installer put me in 1080i mode. I had the horizontal issues.
I put it to 720p... I still have the horizontal issues.

#58 OFFLINE   jmcginn825

jmcginn825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

I called yesterday and DISH is sending me a new 622 out.

Hopefully it will fix my problem, it's seriously annoying!

#59 OFFLINE   dahauss

dahauss

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

I called tonight.. They told me it is a KNOWN problem and it has been since June 2006. They have NOT been able to resolve. they said sending me a new unit wont make any difference. They filled out another technical support issue report and told me I probably wont hear back but when it is fixed it will be in a software release. They would not give me any credit for this issue.. I asked but they said they couldnt do anything....

so looks like We get to pay for jittery video :)

#60 OFFLINE   jmcginn825

jmcginn825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

I called yesterday and DISH is sending me a new 622 out.

Hopefully it will fix my problem, it's seriously annoying!

Argggh! My mom called me this morning (watches my kids) and said that a DISH tech showed up at 8:00 am (I was already gone for work). She had no idea what he was there to fix (neither did he) so he just left.

They said they were mailing me a new 622 when they were actuallyhaving a tech bring one out. Apparently the lady at DISH couldn't get my RA# to go through so she did that. Problem is they never called me to tell me a tech was coming out. Lady I talked to today even said that in the notes it said, "customer is unaware that tech will be coming out, may not be home or call to say they didn't know he was coming out." I mean, what kind of sense does that make! Now I have to wait until Tuesday until I get my new 622.

spam firewall