Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiswitch question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kay

kay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:21 PM

Currently running a Zinwell 4x8 mult from a 3lnb (can't remember model of mult) - can I take a standard non-powered 3x4 mult and use that to turn two ports from the mult into four ports? Is there any reason why not to do this?

I can get detailed, but trust me that this would be the best way wiring wise - I need to make two ports in a room into four ports and I don't want to run extra lines, especially since this isn't going to be a setup used for more than maybe 6 months.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:07 PM

IF you only need a signal from the 101 satellite, then yes, you can do that.

If you need 110 or 119 (for Hi def or locals or Spanish, etc.), then it won't work.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   kay

kay

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:33 AM

IF you only need a signal from the 101 satellite, then yes, you can do that.

If you need 110 or 119 (for Hi def or locals or Spanish, etc.), then it won't work.

Carl

Yeah that will be fine, I get locals from the 119 but I don't even watch them. I'll simply redo the basic setup on the boxes as round dish type and ignore the 119 completely, and i'll diplex in and out an antenna signal on one of the input lines from the roof mount antenna in case I need locals as a backup. I only plan to keep the setup in that room for around 6-9 months tops, so this is just temporary anyway. Eventually i'll probably go with the HR20 or another HR10-250 for that room (got one in the living room and it's nice, but needs the 6.3 update already!)

edit: I went for the Zinwell 3402, it's a recent model (according to Zinwell's website) and something just makes me feel warm and fuzzy about sticking to one brand for both mults :P (I know I know, that's not even important) - and the price of $7.44 shipped new makes me happy. Will see what happens when it arrives.

#4 OFFLINE   kay

kay

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

Well I got the multiswitch yesterday but didn't have time to install it, did it today and got some interesting results! Honestly one of the two didn't make sense to me, but... Here's how it goes!

1. When I hooked up one line to the 13v port from the wall (and just one line) I received a full signal on odds and evens on BOTH lines no matter what channel I was on as long as it was a 101 source. This is confusing because I was always told that you can't split 1->2 via a multiswitch or splitter, but this worked perfectly with no known ill effects on either tuner. Now I didn't try to split one line into 3 or 4, but I imagine that is probably where it would have hit the fan, so to speak. Also I suppose it is possible that while the display was ok, the problems might not have manifested until I tried to hold each tuner into an odd or even transponder simeltaneously.

2. I can get a full dual tuner signal on the 119 or 110 sattelites, but it completely knocks out lines 3 and 4 to the other receiver if I access a channel from these sattelites. The answer I went with was doing a quick reprogram and setting both dish types to round. I loose locals in this room, but honestly I don't care about that. This was exactly as carl6 described :)

So it turned out great. I set up an auto sensing switch box instead of running the inputs seperately to the tv so that I don't have to switch inputs on the tv (it detects which device was turned on last and switches the signal) and the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is high for the setup! Now i'll have to find junk to fill the 200 hours of space with :P

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:31 AM

With regard to your item 1:

With a "split" signal, if you try to use both tuners at the same time, with one on an even transponder and the other on an odd transponder, you will only get one of them. You will get an error on the second tuner.

Carl

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:17 PM

Tune to chs 490-494 to verify your reception from the satellites.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...