Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installing two hr10-250's and the Hr20 Through AT9?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rlgold88

rlgold88

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

To take advantage of all the D* tuners along with ota Tuners.
What would be the best way to connect them?
I undestand that I will need the Zinwell wb6*8 for the D* tuners

But what about the ota antenna does that connect to the Zinwell or should it go through splitters to the receivers?

I plan on getting the ota installed with the AT9 dish. (Is the OTA on the same base as the AT9 dish)?

Will I have to have 3 cables for each receiver or is there a splitter Diplexor to seperate OTA and D* signals? I only have 2 cables to each of the receivers And am using rabbit ears For OTA.

But The Rabbit ears are less then desirable connected to the HR 10-250's. I figure I should get better results with the antenna on the roof installed with the AT9 connected to all the receivers HR20 too when I get it.

Any Info will be appreciated!!!! Thanks

Equipment:
two HR10-250
one HR 20 getting on the Sept 6
Connected to At9 and OTA Installing sept. 28

I will connect the above to 3 LNB phase 3 dish untill sept. 28 (Knowing I wont get mpeg4)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

The AT9 dish is not compatiable with Dixplers and any switch. Something about the OTA signal on the same Frequency as the MPEG-4 Signal.

#3 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

You will need to run separate lines for the antenna feeds. A rooftop antenna will definitely get you better signal strength than you rabbit ears. The one cvaveat is the most OTA HD channels are broadcast in UHF and the better UHF antennas are highly directional. If all of your lcoal channels are broadcast from the same location then you're in good shape.

However, if the broadcast towers are spread apart you may have to install separate antennas for each set of towers and then combine them with a standard UHF/VHF splitter/combiner. You could use an omnidirectional antenna but they tend to be of inferior quality with regards to signal gain and sensitivity and such. An antenna rotator is another option but there's no way program the HR20 to reposition the antenna if you want to record something on a different channel.

#4 OFFLINE   rlgold88

rlgold88

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

You will need to run separate lines for the antenna feeds. A rooftop antenna will definitely get you better signal strength than you rabbit ears. The one cvaveat is the most OTA HD channels are broadcast in UHF and the better UHF antennas are highly directional. If all of your lcoal channels are broadcast from the same location then you're in good shape.

However, if the broadcast towers are spread apart you may have to install separate antennas for each set of towers and then combine them with a standard UHF/VHF splitter/combiner. You could use an omnidirectional antenna but they tend to be of inferior quality with regards to signal gain and sensitivity and such. An antenna rotator is another option but there's no way program the HR20 to reposition the antenna if you want to record something on a different channel.

So in other words the Ota antenna D* offers probly wont get all the hd local channels. I know that the location of the towers are less then 20 miles all in the detroit area all are uhf. And are yellow coded. what kind of antenna will help the hr10 250's and hr 20 (when available) should I look at.

I will be putting the ota antenna myself way up on the roof (colonial) as I have a old sat. dish base up their. Tried a terk antenna up their a while back but it was no better the the rabbit ears.

Also whats a good splitter and or antenna amplifier for ota? So I can connect all 3 receivers to the ota antenna.

Any suggestions appreciated!!!

#5 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

I use Channel Master 4228 8-bay bowtie antennas for my setup. I'm in between Baltimore and DC and have two of these antennas pointed in opposite directions. I just use a standard UHF/VHF splitter/combiner, available at any RatShack or Home Depot, to join the two antennas together and a 4-way splitter to feed my three HDTivos and HDTV. If the antenna has sufficient gain you shouldn't need any amplification.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,786 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:59 AM

If the antenna has sufficient gain you shouldn't need any amplification.

With a 2 way combiner and a 4-way splitter you are getting quite a bit of signal loss. I think the 2-way has about 3db loss per port (50% of the original signal), and the 4-way is 7db loss per port (25% of the already attenuated signal). So you are getting about 1/8th of the original signal after combining and splitting.

If your original signal is strong, this should work. If not, you need to boost the signal before the first splitter/combiner - separate amp on each antenna in the case of two antennas.

Carl

spam firewall