Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Questions about MPEG-4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SychoBC

SychoBC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

I live in Omaha and I realize it will probably be another year until we get out locals in HD over the Sats. To be ready when the locals come on, I'll need the new AT9 dish and does it need special cabling? Does DirecTV cover the cost and installation for the new dish? How would I go about asking for the new dish? I also have a 5x8 multiswitch will I need a new one of those also?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

DirecTv's practice (whether they blame it on their ordering software or something else) is to not install an AT9 dish unless they are "installing" an MPEG4 capable receiver at the same time.

I recently added an HR10-250 to my aresenal, after the Mpls area had been lit up for MPEG4 locals. The CSR I ordered from assured me they would be installing the new 5LNB dish, but when I called to confirm I was told it would be the 3LNB because that's all that was needed for the HR10-250.

If you want the AT9 (5LNB) dish installed before you get the appropriate MPEG4 receiver, you would need to purchase one independant of DirecTv (there is currently another thread discussing that) and hire an installer to install it (o do it yourself). You would need all four cables run from the dish, which you most likely already have if you are using a 5x8 switch.

As for the switch, the one that is currently rated to work properly with the MPEG4 signals is the Zinwell WB68. You should be fine with what you have until they light up MPEG4 in your area.

#3 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:35 PM

I'm in Houston, TX and was recently "upgraded" to the new AT9 dish and H20 receiver. However, I'm close enough (15 miles) from the transmitters that I can easily pull-in the OTA digital signals with a $29 Rat Shack antenna.

I also have one of the new Mitsubishi WD 65732 DLP sets and can tell you that if there's any way for you to get your locals OTA, do it. On HD broadcasts the PQ is noticeably better OTA than it is from the MPEG-4 compressed signals from the D* sat dish.

The MPEG-2 compressed signals (HDNet for example) are also clearer than the MPEG-4 locals.

Last night I watched a few mins of The Ghost Whisperer on CBS. With the OTA signal you could see tiny little facial hairs in the closeups. I could not see this level of fine detail on the MPEG-4 signal.

MPEG-4 locals are better than no HD locals, but if there's a possibility of getting them OTA, then IMO that's what you need to do.

#4 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:28 AM

That is disturbing but to be expected, I suppose.

Satellite comes along and hooks us on better PQ, then gradually trashes it as the years go by, and most of us don't know what a good OTA signal looks like anymore.

To get my locals OTA would require an antenna 1500 feet up on a hill. It was the only way to get 3 snowy channels when I was a kid, but not too practical today.

#5 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

Watching the Dallas/Jax game today on FOX and switching back & forth between the OTA antenna and the MPEG-4 signal from the new AT9 dish, the difference is immediately noticeable - even my wife could see that OTA is much clearer (better resolution).

The existing MPEG-2 signals (DSHD, HDNet, etc) are excellent. MPEG-4 stinks.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...