Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wiring ?'s

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Zeos

Zeos

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:53 AM

I'm really trying not be an idiot here, but I've got a few questions regarding wiring for my upcomming install.....

I'm getting 3 recievers. 1 Standard Box, 1 HR20, and 1 R15.

Am I thinking this through right?

I'll have 4 Lines comming from my 5lnb dish to a 'central' location for the zinwell, 2 lines going to each of the dvr's, and 1 going to the standard unit? (OTA is not an issue, as I get absolutely zero OTA stations anyway)

I've got to open some walls/ceilings to get these run before the installer gets here, so I want to make sure I've got it right....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:32 AM

Sounds right to me. You may want to consider running two lines to each location should you decide to upgrade to DVRs all around at a later date. It's also not a bad idea to run CAT-5 cable along with the coax if you ever decide to network the DVRs.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:53 AM

You might also consider an extra run or pair of runs to what will be your "primary" tv location. That would allow you to add an additional receiver or dvr in the future. There are other possible uses for additional runs. For example, I have a UHF modulator on each of my (4) DirecTV DVR's and receivers (as well as several security cameras) and mix all of those modulated signals and re-distribute them to all of my tv's. That way I can watch any DVR (or camera) from any TV. In order to do this, I need two additional RG6 runs - one for the signal from the modulator to the mixing point, and one for the mixed signal back to the TV's antenna/cable input.

The point is, no matter how much wire you decide to put in, a corollary to Murphy's Law is the day after you close up the walls you will find a need for more.

And I fully agree with the comment about a Cat5e or Cat6, as well as a phone line, to each location.

Carl

spam firewall