Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Senators seek congressional probe of DirecTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

"Somebody up there doesn't care... DIRECTV"

There slogan is now "Good TV. Better TV. DirecTV."

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   UTFAN

UTFAN

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

Senators Seek Satellite TV Probe
By JOHN DUNBAR, Associated Press Writer

Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Colorado's two senators have asked the Senate Judiciary Committee to look into an escalating dispute involving the nation's two dominant satellite television companies.

Sens. Wayne Allard, a Republican, and Ken Salazar, a Democrat, asked the committee in a letter last Friday to examine whether The DirecTV Group Inc., controlled by global media giant News Corp., "has engaged in behavior that would threaten the viablity of the satellite TV market."

The dispute involves a long-running legal battle over the re-transmission of "distant network" channels.

More HERE.

Neither Allard or Salazar are players. But both get to send out news releases that they're protecting us from all the evil in the world.

End of the day, it means nothing, and I agree with other posters that both, along with the rest of their colleagues have far more important things to worry about.

While I wish the Fox O&O's would complete a deal with DISH, I understand what they're doing, and why they're doing it. And the tactics they're using in impacted markets is right out of the DISH playbook.

It's business. Of course, that often leaves us a tad puckered, but there it is.

Charlie and Rupert will eventually work this out.

#63 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:28 AM

I like that saying UTFAN. I am feeling a" tad puckered. " I often feel that way in the prison I work at when we have riots or fights, escapes etc. Especially when I am in a cell block alone with over 144 convicts and they are pissed off at the other officer who just left for the day and they want to bitch at me.

My ass sure gets puckered.:sure:

#64 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

Maybe it's time for a Congressional Probe in to whether we really need DNS anymore.

This would be especially important since the Government is in a huff to revamp the EAS System and take on so many Homeland Security issues. With L-I-L, people might be much safer if they had their nearest city's network programming, not something from thousands of miles away. And, it's time that satellite joined the Broadcasters and Cable companies, in being able to alert their viewers, no matter what channel they might be watching.

#65 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:54 PM

I do not see what is wrong with a probe to see if there is even a chance that News Corp is using it's ownership of FOX to give D* an advantage. E* has many truley egible DNS subscribers who will proabbyly jump ship to D* granted in the whole scheme of things it wont put E* out of bussines but it will have an impact. The other networks found the settlement agreeable and if FOX would settle the whole matter can be resolved. E* pays up and requalifies all DNS subs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...