Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Deceptive marketing or not ???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:32 AM

A friend of mine got one of the free R-15's thru the DVR4u promotion I mentioned in another forum here. He decided after only two weeks he didnt like it and wanted to return it before the 30 days trial period was up so he was not stuck with an extra 2 year commitment for something he didnt want to keep.

He called DirecTV to return it and they said no problem, they would FedX a return kit but he was still committed for 2 more years.

They told him even though you have 30 days to decide if you like the new receiver, once its installed, you have the additional 2 year commitment even if you return it the next day.

I called myself last night twice and talked to 2 CSR's and two supervisors as I wanted to see what was going on as I recommended he get the R-15 for free and was told the same thing.

They all told me that you have 30 days to decide if you like any new receiver and to return it BUT the commitment stays once it is installed. This doesn't make any sense as these are leased receivers and you can return them at any time anyways.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

What the hell is the point of returning it if it doesn't take the 2 year commitment off? I'd have your friend call D*'s pres. office 888-237-8327 and see if they can help him.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#3 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

Sounds like BS to me.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,673 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:11 AM

If they advertise "no risk trial", then they are outside the bounds. As I recall, this is simply a "money back" trial.

The part that scares me is what kind of offers will these customers get in the future after having turned this one down. At some point shortly after the commitment expires, they will be forced to go non-TiVo and/or change providers.

#5 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

I myself, after 10++ years with DirecTV, am so through with them since they went to leasing with the upfront charges.

I am just waiting for Verizon FIOS DSL with cable to be in my area OR Comcast to add the TiVo software to the Moto 6412 (which has been said to be coming for about a year now but never does.)

I could care less about any commitments. I will just put the account in hold multiple times instead of canceling. I know someone that did this for over two years a while back. I dont know if their policy has changed over the years.

#6 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,673 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

I am just waiting for Verizon FIOS DSL with cable to be in my area OR Comcast to add the TiVo software to the Moto 6412 (which has been said to be coming for about a year now but never does.)

FIOS isn't DSL (and that's a very good thing). It most closely resembles modern cable television except for the last hundred feet or so. Where cable uses the relatively inexpensive and durable RG6 coax, FIOS goes into the house with fiber. Lest anyone get too excited, distribution once inside the house is often done with RG6.

#7 OFFLINE   ad301

ad301

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:40 AM

He called DirecTV to return it and they said no problem, they would FedX a return kit but he was still committed for 2 more years.

They told him even though you have 30 days to decide if you like the new receiver, once its installed, you have the additional 2 year commitment even if you return it the next day.

I found this to be true yesterday. I spoke to at least 5 different CSRs, including 4 in the retention department, and they all confirmed the same thing. The 2 year commitment is final once you activate the box.

I am returning the hr20 which I bought yesterday, unopened, to BB.

#8 OFFLINE   heatheriac

heatheriac

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:00 AM

They all told me that you have 30 days to decide if you like any new receiver and to return it BUT the commitment stays once it is installed. This doesn't make any sense as these are leased receivers and you can return them at any time anyways.

Has anyone ever seen this 30 day trial thing in writing? I'm thinking about the HR20 myself (unlike it seems everyone else here, I never had a problem with the R15) but I don't want to drop the couple of notes on it only to find out that I hate it ... I always thought there were no refunds at all after the box is activated.

#9 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

Not sure about the money but I would call DirecTV, a couple times, to verify things first. Seems to me some CSR's tell people one thing and others something different.

DirecTV is using all the tricks it can to get these extra commitments in place. Maybe not illegal but certainly not customer friendly.

#10 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:11 AM

Seems to me some CSR's tell people one thing and others something different.

That the best comment I have heard on here. We all get the run around....:lol:
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...