Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

sharing directv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   familyhealth

familyhealth

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

Hello
I was thinking of subscribing to directv with their 3-4 room setup. Then giving my parents one of the receivers and splitting the bill with them. I know that they will need a dish installed, but is there anything else that would be an issue?
Any feedback is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,603 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:45 PM

This violates DirecTV's service agreement and would be considered theft of service.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:44 PM

Unless you are all in the same house. Then it would be okay.

Carl

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,603 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:44 AM

Unless you are all in the same house. Then it would be okay.

Carl

They wouldn't need another dish then, would they?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:49 AM

Yeah, missed that tidbit.

Carl

#6 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hello
I was thinking of subscribing to directv with their 3-4 room setup. Then giving my parents one of the receivers and splitting the bill with them. I know that they will need a dish installed, but is there anything else that would be an issue?

Yup HIGHLY illegal.:nono2:
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#7 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

I got to thinking about this and besides it being illegal I'm not too sure it would work, at least not for long. Even with a separate dish the reciever would have to be plugged into a phone line. So you'd have to hook it up at the initial account location, let D* activate it, and then haul it to the other location. Now, I guess you could haul it across town occasionally to the account phone number and let it get pinged from time to time but what a pain and if you not in the same city well..... :confused:

#8 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

What if you put the other receiver in your shop or Garage and it is to far away from your house to run a line from the dish? Could you put a second dish on the shop or garage and have it on your home account?

#9 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

Makes sense that it would work as long as it's hooked to the same phone line. Not sure D* would have any way of knowing if you had 1, 2 or more dishes in one location as long as you were paying for the account/reciever and not breaking any law.

#10 OFFLINE   noneroy

noneroy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

Makes sense that it would work as long as it's hooked to the same phone line. Not sure D* would have any way of knowing if you had 1, 2 or more dishes in one location as long as you were paying for the account/reciever and not breaking any law.

Why do you have to hook it up to a phone line? I've never hooked any of my receivers up to a phone line (and as stated before two CSRs and an Installer both told me you do not need a phone line with the new receivers) and have not had a moment's problem.

Illegal stuff aside, if you take a receiver and plug it into another dish it should function just fine. Don't hook it to a phone line and I doubt you'd have problems. However, what the OP is asking is against the terms of services for D* and shouldn't be done....

#11 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

wheni i got my 3rd hdtivo last year i had directv put up a new dish on the side of the house where the new tivowas, rather than have them have an extra long run of cable from the oppisite end of the house. it was actually easier for them to do it this way this way they only had a15 ft. run of cableto install withthe dish. so now i use 2 dishes for the 3 tivos with no problems.

#12 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:39 PM

Illegal stuff aside, if you take a receiver and plug it into another dish it should function just fine. Don't hook it to a phone line and I doubt you'd have problems. However, what the OP is asking is against the terms of services for D* and shouldn't be done....

I can say that this does work. We were moving and had 3 or 4 weeks without a house and moved in to her parents who had D*. I was still paying my bill and using my UTV receiver at there house with now issue. They don't have a land line and I've never hooked mine up to the land line either. I was doing this legally since I was still paying for service and there where too. In fact I was still paying for a second UTV that wasn't hooked up again untill I moved into the new house.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#13 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

I think that DTV is preparing to fight receiver sharing at some point. There is a big push for professional installation of all receivers, and they pay the installers extra to make sure they are connected to a phone line. I have four free phone extensions thanks to DTV!

This is conjecture on my part, but I think at some point, these mirrored receivers will be told to phone home...And if they can't, DTV will invoke the clause about mirrored receivers and phone lines. They won't have to prove sharing; just that the receiver is not able to call, as per the agreement.

#14 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

I think that DTV is preparing to fight receiver sharing at some point. There is a big push for professional installation of all receivers, and they pay the installers extra to make sure they are connected to a phone line. I have four free phone extensions thanks to DTV!

This is conjecture on my part, but I think at some point, these mirrored receivers will be told to phone home...And if they can't, DTV will invoke the clause about mirrored receivers and phone lines. They won't have to prove sharing; just that the receiver is not able to call, as per the agreement.

But, the problem with that is there is more and more people dropping there regular phone line's for either cell phones or VOIP. If you have either one of those the receiver phone connection won't work.

#15 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

I understand from posts on this forum that some folks get them to work with some VOIP, but yes, that will be a problem.

Maybe it'll never come to pass; maybe the receiver never will be asked to call. But DTV is awfully insistant on it having that capability.

#16 OFFLINE   telecaster

telecaster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

According to the SBCA,Directv looks at this the same as programming access cards.

They dont Like it !!!!!!

#17 OFFLINE   dtvfanarg

dtvfanarg

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

Hello

There's a different story here in Argentina. The DTV installer connected a 2nd receiver at my house a few months ago and he gave me his cell number to call in case I want to move and have the 2nd receiver working in a different place. He said that he will provide me with a new dish for $50. I asked him about the telephone line thing and he said there won't bhe any troubles because when u have more than one box, only one needs to be hooked up to the telephone line.

They say they do "this kind of extra works" because Directv pays a very low wage per connection they do.

#18 OFFLINE   martiney

martiney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:38 PM

There's a different story here in Argentina. The DTV installer connected a 2nd receiver at my house a few months ago and he gave me his cell number to call in case I want to move and have the 2nd receiver working in a different place. He said that he will provide me with a new dish for $50. I asked him about the telephone line thing and he said there won't bhe any troubles because when u have more than one box, only one needs to be hooked up to the telephone line.

They say they do "this kind of extra works" because Directv pays a very low wage per connection they do.

So... now we are down to "paying people on the side" to get service?

Hehe... I think the thread should have ended with the "Highly illegal" statement...

#19 OFFLINE   noneroy

noneroy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

The second that happens D* is going to have some problems from me. Like I said, I was told in no uncertain terms that I do not need a phone line anymore. We (CSR and I) even had a conversation about it. The best part about working a telephone based computer support center is that all our calls, incoming and outgoing, are recorded. So I can prove what they told me.

#20 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

There is a big push for professional installation of all receivers, and they pay the installers extra to make sure they are connected to a phone line.

Pay the installers extra? :lol: Thats funny. :nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...