Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

sharing directv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

What if you put the other receiver in your shop or Garage and it is to far away from your house to run a line from the dish? Could you put a second dish on the shop or garage and have it on your home account?

IIRC, if the receiver is on the SAME general property, running a line from another dish in the detached garage so you can watch Football on the big screen and drink beer with your buddies in peace from your wife (and she from you) is ok with them. :hurah: :hurah: :hurah:
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

IIRC, if the receiver is on the SAME general property, running a line from another dish in the detached garage so you can watch Football on the big screen and drink beer with your buddies in peace from your wife (and she from you) is ok with them. :hurah: :hurah: :hurah:

That sounds good to me!!! Drink some beer with the guys and enjoys some football!! ;) ;) :D

#23 OFFLINE   familyhealth

familyhealth

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:47 PM

Thanks guys. I had an idea that it might not be on the up and up to do this. Thats why I asked. I appreciate all the replies.

#24 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

"Pay the installers extra? :lol: Thats funny. "

My installer said it would cost him $70 if he did not run the phone lines, and he didn't even giggle.

#25 OFFLINE   ssm06

ssm06

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:14 PM

I think E* charges a fee each month if a receiver is not connected to a phone line (that's what my brother-in-law told me who just got E*). He has Voip, but he says the box will connect.

Hopefully, D8 won't follow suit.

#26 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:02 AM

The thing about sharing DirecTV is some do do it but you just dont post about it in a forum that DirecTV supposedly monitors.

Two out of 4 of my receivers are not connected to phone lines and one never has been ever since I moved. That receiver could be in any house anywhere in the country for all anyone knows. (Its NOT but I am just making a point).

Many years ago DirecTV was very strict on the phone lines being connected and they used to send a nasty letters saying your service would be turned off it it didnt call in in a set number of days. I think they got very lax in the last few years since the cell phone boom.

All the installers I have had, three, insisted on running the phone line. Not sure if they really lose $70 or not if they dont do it but they insisted.

#27 OFFLINE   cbeckner80

cbeckner80

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

I think E* charges a fee each month if a receiver is not connected to a phone line (that's what my brother-in-law told me who just got E*). He has Voip, but he says the box will connect.

Hopefully, D8 won't follow suit.

Charlie charges $5 for everything. If they could figure out how to charge you $5 everythime you changed the channel, they would.

#28 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:05 AM

But, the problem with that is there is more and more people dropping there regular phone line's for either cell phones or VOIP. If you have either one of those the receiver phone connection won't work.

This is not true. I have Voip (Vonage) and it works just fine, everytime in every receiver in my house.
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

#29 OFFLINE   tbranan

tbranan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:45 AM

I have been a D* customer for almost 8 years, and I have had a phone line hooked up to my box once for about 10 minutes and have never heard a word from them.....

#30 OFFLINE   ClayKY

ClayKY

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:10 PM

I think that DTV is preparing to fight receiver sharing at some point. There is a big push for professional installation of all receivers, and they pay the installers extra to make sure they are connected to a phone line. I have four free phone extensions thanks to DTV!

This is conjecture on my part, but I think at some point, these mirrored receivers will be told to phone home...And if they can't, DTV will invoke the clause about mirrored receivers and phone lines. They won't have to prove sharing; just that the receiver is not able to call, as per the agreement.

Well the day they do that I'm back on cable pronto. I have no intention of ever having a phone line in my house....complete waste of $$.

#31 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:29 PM

I take it that DirecTV doesn't have (yet) the "audit police" of Dish to eliminate account stacking?

(Please see numerous threads on Dish forum to se how they try to weed out illegally moved receivers.)

#32 OFFLINE   surfbird

surfbird

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:37 PM

What if you put the other receiver in your shop or Garage and it is to far away from your house to run a line from the dish? Could you put a second dish on the shop or garage and have it on your home account?

umm, wireless phone jacks.. would be better option.. & standard dish would cost ya $49 thru dtv. & that is single or dual lnb.. guys chill on suggesting the move receivers from area to area.. thing.. the only time that is allowed is seasonal residency & then the ones at the other house get switched back & forth..

#33 OFFLINE   surfbird

surfbird

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:42 PM

The thing about sharing DirecTV is some do do it but you just dont post about it in a forum that DirecTV supposedly monitors.

Two out of 4 of my receivers are not connected to phone lines and one never has been ever since I moved. That receiver could be in any house anywhere in the country for all anyone knows. (Its NOT but I am just making a point).

Many years ago DirecTV was very strict on the phone lines being connected and they used to send a nasty letters saying your service would be turned off it it didnt call in in a set number of days. I think they got very lax in the last few years since the cell phone boom.

All the installers I have had, three, insisted on running the phone line. Not sure if they really lose $70 or not if they dont do it but they insisted.

hmm? supposedly monitors?? please there are eyes & ears here/ & I work there at d8 careful boys..

#34 OFFLINE   cybok0

cybok0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:46 PM

Only my DTIVO is hooked up to a phone line, my R15s are not the installer asked me if I wanted them hooked up I said no, he said okay havent had a problem yet.:)
HR22-100, HR24-500
R-16

#35 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:27 AM

my R15s are not the installer asked me if I wanted them hooked up I said no, he said okay havent had a problem yet.:)

The R-15 will pop up a message blocking you from watching a PPV saying you need to connect the phone line. I dont know how this works if you order the PPV online and try to watch it without a phone line connected.

#36 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:40 AM

That'll work fine because the receiver is authorized via sat from the other end.

I think that the installers who make no issue of phone line hookup probably lie to DTV so they can receive their full install fee.

#37 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

Here is what it ultimately boils down to:

1) The User Agreement from DirecTV states that you will have a phone line connected all the time to the unit.
2) A phone line is "required" if you are using the "mirroring" services on a Nth box, and it has to be the SAME phone line/number as the core unit
3) A phone line is "required" if you have any of the extended sports packages

Unless you have the RV package, or have made some other arrangements with DirecTV directly... then they "could" terminate your service at any time.

So installing in a garage, remote bedroom or what ever, don't be "stunded" and "ticked-off" if DirecTv disables those units...

The $4.99 mirorring/lease fee is fantastic and what enables most people to have more then one receiver in the house.

But until there is another brakethrough in technology for SATs.... From a cost point of view, the SAT communication is a one way thing. So DirecTV has to have a method to ensure that you haven't "added" a box at your neighboors house (for $5 more a month)... so hence the phone lines.

They are VoIP compatible for the DirecTV call....
I understand that some people have gone "landless" with their phones. But you are by far in the minority, when compared to the rest of the subscriber base.

Will there be a time they go "broadband"... probably...
But for now.... that is the way it is.

And I hope you all understand how this discussion "could" go down the wrong path. And here at DBSTalk, that is one of the things we try to avoid... ANY type of discussion that teeters of theft of service...

So....... as I step of the soap box, and turning off the mic....
Thread... Close

"end of line" :D
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...