Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Switch to D* from E* for the HR20?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   av8nautiger

av8nautiger

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:11 PM

HELP! I just found out about this HR20 which sounds great but I am a long time E* customer! I just bought my first HDTV and have an installation scheduled with E* for an HD-DVR (622) next week. This upgrade is costing me $$ plus an 18 mo commitment but I have heard that HD picture quality on D* is inferior to E*.
What I'm asking is if I should switch to get this HR20? I called D* and they said I have to get the HR20 at a retailer but the cost would still be a little cheaper with D* vice E* but I am worried about PQ and the lack of HD channels on D*. I am in the DC area.
Any opinions?:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:43 AM

Directv won't be adding any more national HD programming until sometime in 2007 after their two new sats go up. If you've been happy with Dish, I'd stick with them and check back in next year on where Directv stands.

Wouldn't hurt to try out the 622 if Dish gives you any time to cancel your order and return it if your not happy with it also.

#3 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:14 AM

Dave has a better picture quality than Charlie and the programming is far superior.
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#4 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

Dave has a better picture quality than Charlie and the programming is far superior.

who's dave?

#5 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:44 PM

Wendy's ?

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

who's dave?

Dave's not here, man.

#7 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

Who knows, as far as I'm concerned Chase is the CEO of DirecTV, not "Dave."

#8 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:45 PM

:D I get it D*=Dave
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#9 OFFLINE   noneroy

noneroy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:49 PM

I certainly am not trying to create a flame war, but my honest opinion of E*'s HD offerings can be summed up as: :rolleyes:

Sure, they have a ton of channels, but it's the whole quantity versus quality debate. E* has a few channels I wish D* had (National Geographic Channel, Food Network) but the channels mostly seem to be filler from Voom. Do you really think you are going to watch MonstersHD, KungFu HD or RaveHD that much? They seem like filler channels to make it look like they are offering more stuff, even though there are only a few channels you'd probably watch. The reason is these are very small channels and don't have the budget to buy good programming.

But that's just me. I don't feel like I"m missing out. I'm also unclear as to E*'s local HD TV offerings. Someone else will have to speak to that...

My money is on D*. I think they have the long term plan to win the HD war. Until then I'll just watch Sunday Ticket. But this is only one person's opinion. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want on this subject (since it can get rather flamey).

#10 OFFLINE   Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

Since DISH committed bank fraud against me (investigation still ongoing), and D* as given me money (account credit) I'd say dump E* for D*.

#11 OFFLINE   vikingguy

vikingguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

Not to piss anyone off but I think your best bet would be to stay with E* till atleast late next year. Hopefully by then the new HR-20 will have most of the kinks ironed out and the new satallites will be operational. From what I have read the 622 seems to be a very solid stable dvr. I am sure the Hr-20 will get there some day to but why put up with the headace of beta testing during the new fall tv season.

#12 OFFLINE   WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:11 AM

Directv won't be adding any more national HD programming until sometime in 2007 after their two new sats go up. .

Does anyone know where these two new sats will be located?

#13 OFFLINE   mechman

mechman

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:05 AM

In the sky, 22,000 miles up....:)

mechman

#14 OFFLINE   Badger

Badger

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:15 AM

From what I have read the 622 seems to be a very solid stable dvr.

There does seem to be one major flaw with the 622. The HDMI connection on the 622 seems to be failing for lots who are using it and E*'s answer to some has been "no sense us sending you another 622 because it will just happen to that one also" (paraphrased). It seems the solder conection on the PC board lifts from the board and poof no HDMI. It will be corrected in time but why take the chance? DVR recording MAY be gone from E* soon depending on what the court system does or a agreement between Tivo and E* but why take the chance? Check on this forum for more info.

#15 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:01 AM

99 & 103.

#16 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

99 & 103.

'cause if they weren't, everyone would be enjoying a new install of a 7 lnb satellite dish!! :hurah: :hurah: :hurah:

/me ducks
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#17 OFFLINE   mbetts

mbetts

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:41 PM

Stick with E*. You'll actually have something to record.

#18 OFFLINE   cybok0

cybok0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:55 PM

In the sky, 22,000 miles up....:)

mechman

thats funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :uglyhamme
HR22-100, HR24-500
R-16

Protected By... spam firewall...And...