Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Missing Significally Viewed local

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjflynn04

bjflynn04

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

I am currently missing a Significally Viewed local channel in my area. WDBJ out of Roanoke has been gone since the end of april from my receivers and several of my neighbors receivers. Directv.com is showing that we should be receiving it and people at D* that I have talked to said that I should be getting that station still. They can't figure out why I am not getting it. The first told me that the CBS station out of Raleigh WRAL might be blocking it but I email them at told me that they weren't blocking and have no plans to try to block because it is a significally viewed channel in my county. Does anyone know what might be happening. I am still getting my other two significally viewed locals WSET out of Lynchburg, VA and WRIC out of Richmond, VA both ABC stations. My zip is 23968.
Primestar Subscriber 97 to 99, Directv Subscriber since 1999, XM Subscriber since 12/18/2004.
My Setup updated March 2010

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:17 PM

I am currently missing a Significally Viewed local channel in my area. WDBJ out of Roanoke has been gone since the end of april from my receivers and several of my neighbors receivers. Directv.com is showing that we should be receiving it and people at D* that I have talked to said that I should be getting that station still. They can't figure out why I am not getting it. The first told me that the CBS station out of Raleigh WRAL might be blocking it but I email them at told me that they weren't blocking and have no plans to try to block because it is a significally viewed channel in my county. Does anyone know what might be happening. I am still getting my other two significally viewed locals WSET out of Lynchburg, VA and WRIC out of Richmond, VA both ABC stations. My zip is 23968.

call and ask a directv agent to do the following, it cant hurt and may help:

1) Go into your SERVICE address, update it with the zip code and "save" it.

2) Resend all authorizations on all receivers active on your account.

3) If that doesn't work, reset (restart not a full reset!!!) all the receivers.

After that, they should escalate the issue for you, the website does state the zip code 23968 should be getting 7,8, and 13 from Roanoke, and the #'s dont conflict with the Raleigh-Durham NC market channel #'s.

Hope that helps.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#3 OFFLINE   bjflynn04

bjflynn04

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:58 PM

call and ask a directv agent to do the following, it cant hurt and may help:

1) Go into your SERVICE address, update it with the zip code and "save" it.

2) Resend all authorizations on all receivers active on your account.

3) If that doesn't work, reset (restart not a full reset!!!) all the receivers.

After that, they should escalate the issue for you, the website does state the zip code 23968 should be getting 7,8, and 13 from Roanoke, and the #'s dont conflict with the Raleigh-Durham NC market channel #'s.

Hope that helps.

I have tried all of the above today and I still am not receiving that channel and it was escalated once back in june and still nothing.
Primestar Subscriber 97 to 99, Directv Subscriber since 1999, XM Subscriber since 12/18/2004.

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

Which satellite dish are you using, round or oval?

#5 OFFLINE   bjflynn04

bjflynn04

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

oval.

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

Do you have good signal strength on all your transponders on the 119?

#7 OFFLINE   bjflynn04

bjflynn04

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

100 on all my transponders on 119 especally transponder 31 which 7, 8, and 13 come from and I am getting 8 and 13 just fine. I was getting 7 until around the time 8 came on towards the end of april and a week after channel 8 came on thats when 7 disappeared.

#8 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:32 PM

Thats a pretty silly situation, I've never seen anything similar before. It really sounds like a D* problem that they wont admit to.

One other question. If you tune to channel seven what do you see. Message, blank screen, channel not available?

#9 OFFLINE   bjflynn04

bjflynn04

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:35 PM

channel not available at the top of the screen like when you mistakely go to a channel that D* does not have like for example 999.

#10 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:18 AM

Hmm....I looked up zip codes for Richmond, and Roanoke Va, and both markets get their locals from the 119, where as your market gets the locals from the 101. Your neighbors may only have a round dish...but your said you have the oval 3 dish, and you were getting high signal off the 119.

The agent who told you that the channel itself was blocking you was a complete drooling iditot BTW....

So if you have

-reset all the receivers
-verified your service address with Directv
-Directv has resent all authorizations to the box(es)

It's either a problem with Directv not properly sending the auths to your boxes per their own website as far as "Significally Viewed" channels from the other 2 markets you have the hardware / dish set up for, or the receiver(s) you have are not taking the authorizations.

What make/model of receiver or receivers do you have?
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

#11 OFFLINE   bjflynn04

bjflynn04

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:08 AM

My neighbors got an oval dish too because the got upgraded to that and a d11 receiver when the Significally Viewed channels came on. As for me I got one D10, two D11s 2 R15s and a hughes HAH-SA

#12 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

Theres not much on your end that will cause channel not available. The reciever set to a round dish with you trying to access something on the 119 will give that message. But it's not. Multiple receivers on your end with the same problem sort of rules out your equipment. Unless they moved that one channel to a different satellite, I found no evidence of that. So, the problem would most likely be a glitch on their end in the authorizations process, the markets small, an your voice hasn't been heard.

#13 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

Mmmm....Hughes :)

I have 4 various Directv Tivos, an R15, and 2 Hughes SD-HBH models, almost identical to yours. Some of the features I really missed from those little Hughes boxes are present in the R15, but I digress...

If you can bear to call Directv on Wednesday, around 3:00pm PST, you will most likely get a call center agent who knows what they are doing. Ask for advanced tech support as it is a problem with all receivers, including the R15 (should get them hopping to transfer you to "Tier II")

Then, tell them:

1) how many times you have called regarding the significantly viewed channels
2) What the exact message is on the screen for each of the channels
3) That all of the receivers have this issue
4) You have an oval 3 dish, and your signal checks out perfectly
5) you have neighbors in the same boat with the same set up in the same zip code or close, and especially that you all lost them at the same time.
6)You have done multiple trouble shooting steps, and list what you have done so far without success.

Hey, even let them know a former Tier II rep who lives in Las Vegas asked you several questions over the internet, and after careful review, "they" (me) suggest that this must be a problem with authorizations on the Directv side, and should be either reported to Directv, or at least written down and turned over to their supervisor or floor walker. Tell them you will happily wait on hold while they do this so they can give all the details.

I don't think it will cause the problem to be fixed that instant, but it is important that everyone who is affected call....Directv may not be aware there IS a problem...or they may be, and the last 3-4 reps you reached did not check all the resources and known issues.

I know that the Las Vegas site even has their own internal posting board, as in most cases it takes 5 reported incidents to escalate to the engineers. As a side note, don't ask a rep to escalate or turn your call over to the engineers, they have no direct connection or phone line to them :D
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

#14 OFFLINE   bjflynn04

bjflynn04

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

Mmmm....Hughes :)

I have 4 various Directv Tivos, an R15, and 2 Hughes SD-HBH models, almost identical to yours. Some of the features I really missed from those little Hughes boxes are present in the R15, but I digress...

If you can bear to call Directv on Wednesday, around 3:00pm PST, you will most likely get a call center agent who knows what they are doing. Ask for advanced tech support as it is a problem with all receivers, including the R15 (should get them hopping to transfer you to "Tier II")

Then, tell them:

1) how many times you have called regarding the significantly viewed channels
2) What the exact message is on the screen for each of the channels
3) That all of the receivers have this issue
4) You have an oval 3 dish, and your signal checks out perfectly
5) you have neighbors in the same boat with the same set up in the same zip code or close, and especially that you all lost them at the same time.
6)You have done multiple trouble shooting steps, and list what you have done so far without success.

Hey, even let them know a former Tier II rep who lives in Las Vegas asked you several questions over the internet, and after careful review, "they" (me) suggest that this must be a problem with authorizations on the Directv side, and should be either reported to Directv, or at least written down and turned over to their supervisor or floor walker. Tell them you will happily wait on hold while they do this so they can give all the details.

I don't think it will cause the problem to be fixed that instant, but it is important that everyone who is affected call....Directv may not be aware there IS a problem...or they may be, and the last 3-4 reps you reached did not check all the resources and known issues.

I know that the Las Vegas site even has their own internal posting board, as in most cases it takes 5 reported incidents to escalate to the engineers. As a side note, don't ask a rep to escalate or turn your call over to the engineers, they have no direct connection or phone line to them :D

Ok I called Directv again today ( I didn't see this message until I got off the phone with them) and I explained the situation to the woman I talked to and she went and got a supervisor and he also said I should be getting that channel and he was going to escalate it to the engineers.

#15 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:58 PM

Ok I called Directv again today ( I didn't see this message until I got off the phone with them) and I explained the situation to the woman I talked to and she went and got a supervisor and he also said I should be getting that channel and he was going to escalate it to the engineers.

thats all you can do!!

good luck
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

#16 OFFLINE   bjflynn04

bjflynn04

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

thats all you can do!!

good luck

Thank you very much for all your help. You wouldn't happen to know how long does it typically take the engineers to fix problems once the get them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...