Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-700 in Austin, TX!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gbwtfo

gbwtfo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:10 PM

Woohoo! The installer showed up this afternoon with a truckload of HR20-700's, and he told me that this was his first installation of this model. They were supposed to do the install a week ago, but didn't, apparently because they were waiting for the HR20's and didn't want to have to return to replace any of the older equipment. So I had to wait a week, not knowing whether I'd get the HR10-250 or the HR20-700 (they couldn't tell me at the time). Overall, the installation took about four hours and went quite smoothly. The installer was very impressed at how fast the box detected all the transponders.

The unit performed an automatic software download shortly after we powered it up (to 0xbe or some such...) while we were trying to change the settings for the TV. It just kind of rudely interrupted and initiated the download without warning.

At any rate, I haven't played with it enough to comment on what I think is good or bad, but I can tell you that I sure am going to miss the dual live buffers. Overall, the box seems pretty responsive. Changing channels is a bit slow, but I think it's because I have it set to "native mode", and it takes the TV a while to sync up.

Greg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bcrossan

bcrossan

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

Woohoo! The installer showed up this afternoon with a truckload of HR20-700's, and he told me that this was his first installation of this model. They were supposed to do the install a week ago, but didn't, apparently because they were waiting for the HR20's and didn't want to have to return to replace any of the older equipment. So I had to wait a week, not knowing whether I'd get the HR10-250 or the HR20-700 (they couldn't tell me at the time). Overall, the installation took about four hours and went quite smoothly. The installer was very impressed at how fast the box detected all the transponders.

The unit performed an automatic software download shortly after we powered it up (to 0xbe or some such...) while we were trying to change the settings for the TV. It just kind of rudely interrupted and initiated the download without warning.

At any rate, I haven't played with it enough to comment on what I think is good or bad, but I can tell you that I sure am going to miss the dual live buffers. Overall, the box seems pretty responsive. Changing channels is a bit slow, but I think it's because I have it set to "native mode", and it takes the TV a while to sync up.

Greg

I am in Austin too.... How did you get your box? D* told me to order from BB but they are backordered....

#3 OFFLINE   gbwtfo

gbwtfo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:41 PM

I first ordered the HD PVR service through D* about ten days ago, but they couldn't tell me then what hardware I would receive. The company that performed the installation is named "Advanced Technologies" and they brought all the hardware (as per the D* order). FWIW, Advanced Technologies customer service number is 877-889-7880.

Hope that helps!
Greg

#4 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,076 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:33 AM

Well, I'm in Austin also. I'm hoping to get one of the HR20s soon but assumed it would be a while before they would be available here. Maybe the fact that we are supposed to get the HD locals this month helped. :D

GH

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#5 OFFLINE   gbwtfo

gbwtfo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:00 AM

Interesting. I didn't realize it was so soon due to the fact that the D* CSR convinced me that I really need to have an OTA antannae installed. When the installer arrived, he convinced me that there wasn't much sense in putting it up since HD locals were right around the corner. I believed him as he seemed informed, but I got him to leave me the antannae just in case. That said, he said that the OTA reception in my area was very very poor, citing a recent nearby install that could only get one OTA channel. Again, believable due to the local geography (I live on a hillside not far from Mt. Bonnel).

#6 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,076 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:35 PM

The list for the locals is here. I see where the ones that were listed for August are now on the September list. I'm northwest (183/Anderson Mill) and get all the locals with a small outside antenna. The signals are pretty strong in most of Austin. :D

GH

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#7 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:46 PM

looks like they need to update that list since the WB will soon soon be rebranded to the CW with programming from the wb and upn networks.

#8 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

I am sure they will change the listing in time AFTER the merger happens. Patience is a virtue.
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

spam firewall