Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why No Widescreen with NFL on CBS-Tenn. vs. NY

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

It sure looked HD to me on the local FOX station in Phoenix. Are you saying they took a SD broadcast and stretched it to widescreen? It didn't look that way to me.

No, it's actually shot in 16:9, but just not in HD. It's like many of the shows on PBS HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   briang5000

briang5000

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

CBS runs into a problem because they don't have enough HD equipped satellite space in thier network to start prime-time and keep more than 3 games in HD.
Frequently they have to stagger the primetime start across several markets.
Cleveland may start primetime at 7pm on Sunday because the Browns were on Fox or played at 1pm. Cincinatti may not start primetime until 7:30 or 8pm because the Bengals were playing a 4pm game. These type of things happen every week during the NFL season and create scheduling and distriubtion problems for CBS as they try and juggle Satellite space in their various time zones.

They're in the process of uprading but it takes time and money. It does suck and I'm sure the pressure for them to upgrade faster will be much stronger as HDTV hits a tipping point. Which I think is this holiday season. Viewers will demand more HD programming once they've bought their HDTV.

I'm not sure exactly why Fox doesn't have the same problems. IT may be they don't have as many markets or they might not provide a seperate feed for as many timezones.

#23 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:16 PM

I'm not sure exactly why Fox doesn't have the same problems. IT may be they don't have as many markets or they might not provide a seperate feed for as many timezones.

Fox just has a newer, higher capacity distribution network. Remember, back when CBS started with HD, Fox was still piddling around with 480p widescreen.

#24 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:29 PM

No, it's actually shot in 16:9, but just not in HD. It's like many of the shows on PBS HD.

I was not watching a SD feed yesterday, no way SD has looked that good on my 47" screen. I was switching back and forth between SD games and my OTA Fox feed and could tell the difference. Even some of the "Game Breaks" were obviously in SD. Could it be that the FOX feed to DTV was SD and the feed to O&O stations was HD? Are you saying they didn't have a HD truck at the game?
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#25 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

Well it was in 480p, so it would look better than "standard" SD. I do not have any firsthand knowledge of whether or not Fox had an HD truck at the game, but I do not believe that they did.

I'm not going to go as far as saying you're wrong, but DirecTV receives the same Fox network feed for NFLST that the affiliates do.

#26 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

All I know is that Fox does six HD games a week, SF/AZ was the 7th so it was not in HD. If it had been in HD it would be been in Super Fan as well and it was not.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#27 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:19 PM

All I can really say is it was better than SD, but if it was HD for sure or not I'm not sure either.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#28 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:58 PM

All I can really say is it was better than SD, but if it was HD for sure or not I'm not sure either.

Keep an eye on this site weekly it will tell you which games will be in HD each week.

http://www.gribblenation.net/nflmaps/

FYI according to that the New Orleans at Green Bay game is the week 2 redheaded no HD step child.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#29 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:28 PM

Thanks DCSholtis....that's a great site!!!!!
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#30 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:43 AM

And this one for College football if your into it:

http://mattsarz44017...otball2006.html
Dan Sholtis

#31 OFFLINE   theroys88

theroys88

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

CBS runs into a problem because they don't have enough HD equipped satellite space in thier network to start prime-time and keep more than 3 games in HD.
Frequently they have to stagger the primetime start across several markets.
Cleveland may start primetime at 7pm on Sunday because the Browns were on Fox or played at 1pm. Cincinatti may not start primetime until 7:30 or 8pm because the Bengals were playing a 4pm game. These type of things happen every week during the NFL season and create scheduling and distriubtion problems for CBS as they try and juggle Satellite space in their various time zones.

They're in the process of uprading but it takes time and money. It does suck and I'm sure the pressure for them to upgrade faster will be much stronger as HDTV hits a tipping point. Which I think is this holiday season. Viewers will demand more HD programming once they've bought their HDTV.

Fox has just made the commitment to total hd which of course has costed them
much more in resources. I do think that CBS is slow in their transition. Considering that we are coming to the end of the original first proposal cut off date I think overall amount of content sucks. High fees and a lack of content is leaving many with a bitter aftertaste. HDTV penetration is moving faster then
the satellite providers and networks. I can see why so many people have high def sets and actually do not watch any hd programming. It all about content!!!

#32 OFFLINE   theroys88

theroys88

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:53 AM

All I know is that Fox does six HD games a week, SF/AZ was the 7th so it was not in HD. If it had been in HD it would be been in Super Fan as well and it was not.

Actually the Arizona game was shot in HD. Saw the first half highlights on the fox halftime show and it was definately HD. On my nfl package it was in SD. Directv told me that they do not show all games in HD that are broadcast in HD. That is why only 110. Yes it sucks and for as much as I am paying I think we shoud get more HD !!!!
Don't even get me started about extra innings.

#33 OFFLINE   cookpr

cookpr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

^^^It was not HD...it was FOX Widescreen as far as I know....

I get screwed this week, as Green Bay/New Orleans get the SD treatment on FOX....

Once bye weeks kick in, FOX pretty much has 100% coverage in HD....its the early and late weeks where they get the occasional 7th game and cant do it.

CBS, on the other hand, has the better HD, but less of it. Pick you poison....And I agree, its a shame they still only do 3 a week...you would think the top dog in terms of broadcast networks would be prepared for the bandwith crunch...

#34 OFFLINE   theroys88

theroys88

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

^^^It was not HD...it was FOX Widescreen as far as I know....

I get screwed this week, as Green Bay/New Orleans get the SD treatment on FOX....

Once bye weeks kick in, FOX pretty much has 100% coverage in HD....its the early and late weeks where they get the occasional 7th game and cant do it.

CBS, on the other hand, has the better HD, but less of it. Pick you poison....And I agree, its a shame they still only do 3 a week...you would think the top dog in terms of broadcast networks would be prepared for the bandwith crunch...

If that is just widescreen then my eyes are failing me. It looked just as sharp and high def as any other fox game. Don't mean to diagree but what I saw was definately HD.

#35 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:53 AM

IF it was HD then the game would have been in SuperFan. Directv does NOT hold back any HD NFL games on Sunday.
Dan Sholtis

#36 OFFLINE   stuart628

stuart628

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:08 AM

Keep an eye on this site weekly it will tell you which games will be in HD each week.

http://www.gribblenation.net/nflmaps/

FYI according to that the New Orleans at Green Bay game is the week 2 redheaded no HD step child.

wow looking at that reminds me CBS needs to step up their HD production.....only three games out of 7 they have are HD.
Hr20-700 , R15, Directv NFL sunday ticket with superfan!

#37 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:17 AM

Fox Saturday Baseball is 480p at 16X9 upconverted to 720p.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...