Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

serviceless tuner?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DBS1

DBS1

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

I use Time Warner cable broadcast basic service. My new TV has a low quality tuner that has light audio buzz on some channels. I am attempting to use a DirecTV box (from thrift shop) as a substitute tuner (without DirecTV service). My VCR does not have stereo audio output or I would use that. The box (DRD480RE) did not come with a remote. I have programmed a universal remote which works with some functions but I cannot figure out whether I can get a button on the universal to act as "Antenna" button. I am hoping this will get around need for an access card for simple broadcast service through the antenna jack. I am also willing to open up the box if there is a fix so I can just use the tuner. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,588 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

I doubt that your DirecTV Receiver has an NTSC tuner for over-the-air reception. That "Antenna Input" is just a pass through when the Receiver is off. So it's pretty much useless with a dish, access card, and active subscription.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:39 PM

I doubt that your DirecTV Receiver has an NTSC tuner for over-the-air reception. That "Antenna Input" is just a pass through when the Receiver is off. So it's pretty much useless with a dish, access card, and active subscription.

You are correct. There are no D* standard receivers that have a built in tuner for off air broadcasts of any sort, analog or digital.

#4 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

You are correct. There are no D* standard receivers that have a built in tuner for off air broadcasts of any sort, analog or digital.

So the $499 High Definition Set Top Boxes (Hughes E86, etc) that have been around for the last 5+ years and work perfectly as OTA digital receivers must be a figment of our imagination.

True, you cannot do what you're wanting to do with an RCA 480RE, but you certainly can with a Hughes E86. Just beware in scrounging eBay for these. They're currently fetching $50~75 on eBay, but in their prime they ran scalding hot and many of them died on the vine or developed problems long before their time. Translation: make sure you can return it.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:48 PM

Newshawk said standard receiver, not HD. There are no DirecTV receivers with a NTSC tuner.

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:39 AM

Newshawk said standard receiver, not HD. There are no DirecTV receivers with a NTSC tuner.

Many of the early HD receivers had NTSC tuners built in the E86, Hughes HTL, Sansung 160 & 360 all had NTSC tuners and would work without a D* signal. You can probably find a used or new VCR with stereo cheaper than a used satellite receiver.:)

#7 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:25 AM

And if by luck of the draw you're able to snag a (still) fully working E86, you may want to pop the cover off of it and install a small (3") fan, i.e., a PC case fan in it.

IMO the E86 is a great receiver. I still have two in service (both w/fan modification).

#8 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

but it still may not work, because a lot of times, directv's receivers wont work as an off-air tuner if there is no Directv service along with it, even if you are getting reception from the off-air antenna.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...