Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

will DirecTV ever improve the picture quality on the SD channels?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   renov

renov

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:28 PM

I had a 36 inch before my 51 inch and the sd pq on the 36 inch was much better. What I have noticed since I got the 51 inch is the difference in pq from channel to channel. For example my pq on the NFL Network is really bad, same with A & E. ESPN, SciFi and Discovery are pretty good. So does this mean that D compresses some channels more than others or is it just diffs in the source feed?
Hitachi 51F59
2 x DirectTivo's
1 HR20

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:02 PM

The amount of channel compression is dynamic, constantly changing based on what is actually being shown on each of the channels that are being multiplexed onto that transponder.

So if you are watching a channel that is on a transponder that has a number of other channels all carrying high activity programming (such as sports), you will see more symptoms of compression than if every channel had talking heads.

Carl

#23 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

The amount of channel compression is dynamic, constantly changing based on what is actually being shown on each of the channels that are being multiplexed onto that transponder.

Yes, but there is a certain range each individual channel falls into.

#24 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:33 PM

I had a 36 inch before my 51 inch and the sd pq on the 36 inch was much better. What I have noticed since I got the 51 inch is the difference in pq from channel to channel. For example my pq on the NFL Network is really bad, same with A & E. ESPN, SciFi and Discovery are pretty good. So does this mean that D compresses some channels more than others or is it just diffs in the source feed?

As your screen gets larger, your SD picture will get worse. SD is SD. Although SD digital is better than SD analog.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#25 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:59 AM

The other consideration in this is the monthly cost for the STB with digital cable. My local cable costs about twice what D* costs for each STB. So if you are only looking at one, or possibly two, tv locations, it isn't that big an issue. If you are looking at multiple, the cost adds up.

Right now, I've got 3 DVR's and 1 standard receiver. Cable would be $20 a month higher than D* just for the number of STB's - and they wouldn't all be DVRs either.

When I switched (back) to D*, my local cable was not all digital. They have since implemented all digital with analog simulcast (so you can still get analog without an STB if you want).

Carl

My cables SD STB with DVR is $6. I think it's like $4 for a non-dvr box. So it's comparable to Directv.

However, like a said, the analog cable looks about as good as D* on a 27 inch TV. So I only have a digital box in the living room. In any other rooms it's just analog on a 27 inch or smaller (Free, no STB needed). Honestly, I could live without any of the channels in the digital package. All I miss having in other rooms is the HBOs.

spam firewall