Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sundance Channel Gone from Total Choice+??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hirschma

hirschma

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

I just noticed this evening - back from a few days vacation - that Sundance is gone from the Total Choice+ package. I called the 800#, and was informed that they "adjusted their lineup", and that Sundance was only available to Showtime subscribers now.

WTF? Did they really do this? It was one of the channels that I watched the most. Directv is now worth a lot less to me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:29 AM

I didnt notice this. I know with some cable services you get all the Encore Movie channels free but DirecTV lumps them with Starz so you have to pay to get them.

#3 OFFLINE   ethgil

ethgil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

I did not think Sundance was ever included in Total Choice +. I think you have to subscribe to a premium such as Showtime or HBO. I subscribe to HBO and Sundance is on for me now.

#4 OFFLINE   UKintheUS

UKintheUS

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:54 AM

Sundance has always been a part of the Showtime pack, and never Total Choice+, atleast for the 2 years I have lived in the US. So dont know how you was seeing it before.

#5 OFFLINE   hirschma

hirschma

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:20 AM

Weird.

I've never had SHO; I had HBO, but killed it after Deadwood. I had Sundance the entire time I had HBO, and for the few days after the end of Deadwood.

I guess they had a glitch on my account, and they finally realized it :(

The phone droid couldn't be bothered to explain this.

Thanks.

jh

#6 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:56 AM

There used to be a package that included HBO, Cinemax and the Sundance Channel (this was back whien it was an independent channel.) If you had the package on your account, it stayed that way as long as you did nothing to it. When you cancelled your HBO package, therefore, you lost Sundance, and now the only way to get it back is to subscribe to Showtime, which owns the channel now.

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:45 AM

I have the Starz package and I have it.:)

#8 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:04 AM

After 4 years with Dishnotwork Directv is a great service to me.Packages are cheaper or the same price.Movie packages are the same or cheaper now some of
the movie packages do not have as many channels,but I will take the cheaper price anyday.Receivers have more features and are more stable.Think I will definately stay with Directv awhile.:D

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

Weird.

I've never had SHO; I had HBO, but killed it after Deadwood. I had Sundance the entire time I had HBO, and for the few days after the end of Deadwood.

I guess they had a glitch on my account, and they finally realized it :(

The phone droid couldn't be bothered to explain this.

Thanks.

jh

Although the DTV web site says it is part of the Showtime package, you will receive the Sundance channel with any premium movie package. If you discontinued HBO and didn't have another premium, you also lost Sundance.

#10 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:31 PM

- that Sundance is gone from the Total Choice+ package.

Is Sundance different than the IFC channel? I know I have always gotten the IFC channel for free. I've never paid for or gotten any of the movie channels but I've always had the IFC channel.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#11 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

I have the Sundance channel and I have Total choice plus with Starz.

#12 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

Is Sundance different than the IFC channel? I know I have always gotten the IFC channel for free. I've never paid for or gotten any of the movie channels but I've always had the IFC channel.

Yes Sundance is different.IFC is in the Total Choice package.:)

#13 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

Although the DTV web site say it is part of the Showtime package, you will receive the Sundance channel with any premium movie package. If you discontinued HBO and don't have another premium, you also loose Sundance.

Now there is a good reason to have a premium service!.:)

#14 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

Hmmm... I wasn't aware of that, but then I've always had Total Choice Premier, so I get all the movie packages.

#15 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

Hmmm... I wasn't aware of that, but then I've always had Total Choice Premier, so I get all the movie packages.

That's right rub it in big strap!.:D

#16 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

Yes, Sundance and IFC are two totally different networks. IFC is part of the TC+ package. Sundance is available as part of any premium package. I get HBO and get Sundance along with it.

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

Packages are cheaper or the same price.Movie packages are the same or cheaper now some of the movie packages do not have as many channels,but I will take the cheaper price anyday.

Less money for less channels is not necessarily a huge bonus. If that was your goal, then Dish's $19.99 DishFAMILY would be the best ever. DirecTV seems to like to stay away from the comedy movie channels. The packages aren't a line-by-line comparison and as such, you shouldn't paint them as equivalent. The pricing is all over the place depending on what you desire but Dish Network clearly wins the award for the broadest range of packages with pricing ranging from $19.99 to $99.99/month. There is also the issue of XM versus Sirius music. D* locals are cheaper, but fewer markets are available. Dish Network varily owns national HD programming availability. DirecTV has significantly fewer internatinal channels, but they carry more popular channels than Dish in a couple of cases.

Receivers have more features and are more stable.

Looking at the current hot topics here at DBSTalk, the "current" DirecTV receivers have a few real issues (and a few non-issues created by TiVo zealots).

The point of my admonition is that different people have different requirements and what is best for you may not be so for someone else. If you are going to make sweeping generalizations, they should apply to almost everyone, not just you.

#18 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:45 PM

Yes, Sundance and IFC are two totally different networks. IFC is part of the TC+ package. Sundance is available as part of any premium package. I get HBO and get Sundance along with it.

IFC is on all three Total Choice packages.

Ian
BOOMER MCLOUD XTREME CAR AUDIO :icon_bb:

#19 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

Less money for less channels is not necessarily a huge bonus. If that was your goal, then Dish's $19.99 DishFAMILY would be the best ever. DirecTV seems to like to stay away from the comedy movie channels. The packages aren't a line-by-line comparison and as such, you shouldn't paint them as equivalent. The pricing is all over the place depending on what you desire but Dish Network clearly wins the award for the broadest range of packages with pricing ranging from $19.99 to $99.99/month. There is also the issue of XM versus Sirius music. D* locals are cheaper, but fewer markets are available. Dish Network varily owns national HD programming availability. DirecTV has significantly fewer internatinal channels, but they carry more popular channels than Dish in a couple of cases.Looking at the current hot topics here at DBSTalk, the "current" DirecTV receivers have a few real issues (and a few non-issues created by TiVo zealots).

The point of my admonition is that different people have different requirements and what is best for you may not be so for someone else. If you are going to make sweeping generalizations, they should apply to almost everyone, not just you.

You are kidding right?. I wil not dignify your statement with any response.:confused:

#20 OFFLINE   cbeckner80

cbeckner80

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

You are kidding right?. I wil not dignify your statement with any response.:confused:

You couldn't have said that better!!!:hurah:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...