Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrade to H20 - Sunday Ticket Only

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Quake97

Quake97

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:01 AM

A friend of mine has an old Directv recevier. He only uses it for Sunday Ticket during the football season. He has Comcast for regular TV, DVR and HD. He's a major Cowboys fan and since he lives in NJ, he needs Sunday Ticket.

Anyway, since he has an old receiver he can't get the Sunday Ticket games in HD. He tells me he called DirecTV last year and they told him all this crap that made it impossible to just get an H20 recevier for Sunday Ticket. Has anyone else gotten DirecTV to give them a hardware upgrade when they don't have a normal subscription, just Sunday Ticket? If he was to just buy the equipment and new antenna on eBay, would he automatically get the games in HD or does he need to subscribe to the HD package during the football season?

Thanks.

Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:16 AM

He doesn't need to subscriber to the HD package.

BUT... he will have to agree to 2 years of service, when activating that H20 box though.

So your friends wants the hardware for free? When he just subscribers to Sunday Ticket? It is $300+ worth of hardware involved with that...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Quake97

Quake97

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:32 AM

He's been a Sunday Ticket subscriber for 11 years though. I guess it's not enough to just have that.

Sounds like he'd be better of buying the H20 and AT9 on eBay and just doing a swap then, right?

Joe

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

He's been a Sunday Ticket subscriber for 11 years though. I guess it's not enough to just have that.

Sounds like he'd be better of buying the H20 and AT9 on eBay and just doing a swap then, right?

Joe

Guess not... there are subscribers that have full platinum packages, and Sunday Ticket, MLB, NCAA, ect... . and they still don't get free upgrades and stuff like that.

Even if he get's it off ebay... his H20 is still going to incure a 2 year programming commitment extension.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   OrlandoJoe

OrlandoJoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:55 AM

Also, if he has been using the same dish and receiver for 11 years, he should know that the new dish necessary for HD is a much more complex install than the old round dish. I wouldn't recommend it as a DIY project. Professional installers have the tools to do the job right.

#6 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

Tell him to drop Comcrap and get DTV.

HE cannot subscribe to just NFLST and expect the same benefits us long time DTV customers get... Just isn't right.

I get free equipment from them all the time but have been with them for 11 years and pay for regular programming & NFLST.

Earl is right. This new equipment is VERY expensive for them and the customer is a Comcrap customer...why should DTV give then the new stuff just for NFLST.
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#7 OFFLINE   Quake97

Quake97

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

Why is he going to require a 2 year commitment if he buys the hardware outright from eBay or some other source? That doesn't make sense. I thought the point of the two year commitment was to offset the cost of the hardware, like cell phone contracts.

I wasn't trying to say he should get all of the hardware for free, so I'm sorry if that's how I came off. I was just trying to get him HD since he has an HD TV and whatnot.

Joe

P.S. He has a ton of TVs and it's more cost effective for him to stick with Comcrap than to switch everything to DirecTV. I already tried. :)

#8 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:14 PM

Why doesn't he just jump through all of Directv's hoops and then....put the account into suspension for up to 9 months during the non NFL ST months???

People do it!
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

You're friend sounds exactly like me, excpet I'm a Steeler fan in Florida.

Anyway, I don't get the HD package either for a few reasons:
#1) It's an extra $100 added on to an already pricey NFLST package.
#2) I technically am an existing D* customer, even though I only have NFLST, I've been a "customer" for a long time, therefore I don't quality for most of the free equipment offers.
#3) My dish is not mounted permanately. I can set up the single dish in about 2 minutes, but I don't need to be installing a multi-sat dish every week.

All in all, I'd love to get the games in HD, but I am just thankful that I am able to get them at all. And with the prices of new equipment and the fact that they are just leases now, I'm definitely just keeping my old receivers until all 3 of them burn out.

If I ever go back to D*, I'll upgrade, but for 16 days out of the year, I can live with overcompressed SD and just be glad I get to the see that game at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...