Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Philips DSX 5500 box to a Philips DSX 5540 with Digital opticals outputs!!!!!!!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JT1521

JT1521

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

Hi, I have had my Philips DSX 5500 for about 4 years or so and I have it hooked up to my Onkyo av receiver via analog. I would really like to get a receiver that has digital optical outputs so I can hear better quality sound through my av receiver. I noticed in the manual that came with the 5500 that the 5540 has the optical outputs on them. I found someone who would sell this box brand new for $30. I was wondering if anyone had the Philips DSX 5540 and what their opinion is on it. Also if anyone could tell me if there are better standard Directv receivers with the optical outputs out there? Please let me know. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

If you were happy with the 5500 you will probably be happy with the 5540. New equipment means either DVR or HD to get an optical output which means a 2 year commitment.

#3 OFFLINE   JT1521

JT1521

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:57 PM

Yeah. The 5540 someone is selling on ebay. They state that it is new in the box. Never been opened. I am guessing however it is 3 or 4 years old. Do you think it is worth the gamble for $30? I am not even sure what those receivers once went for. I just got a new 5 LNB satellite because I added HD to one of my tv's. I know the 5500 works with the dish so I would assume the 5540 model would also work with it. Not sure what to do lol. I really don't quite understand why not all Directv standard receivers come with digital outputs and component video outputs either for that matter. You pay alot of money every month I would think we should be able to get the best connections on any box they give us. Total bs if you ask me. If I would have known what I know now then I would have told them I want a box with those connections.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...