Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Transponders

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kroll3086

kroll3086

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

I have a very old system DRD420RE. It's an RCA receiver and I have probaby a very stupid question. I was scrolling through the different transponders, and was seeing that I different signal strength on some. It says 101W Satellite and then has a transponder 1 and have a 86 signal. As I change the transponders the signal will either be higher on some and lower on some.

Can someone explain what this is and please talk to me as if I am a child so I can understand:blush:

Thank you

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,485 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:55 AM

Here's the Wikipedia definition ....
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Transponder

One way to think of a satellite transponder is like a big fat radio channel transmitter carrying lots of TV channels. For example, Transponder 1 of DirecTV's 101-deg W (Satellite A) might have a dozen different standard definition TV channels carried on it. Some transponders, such as Transponder 1, are nationwide-beams and cover the entire US. Some transponders, such as Transponder 4, are spot-beams aimed at a small portion of the country. That's why the signal levels vary from one transponder to the next.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   kroll3086

kroll3086

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:05 AM

Thanks for the info. Should I try to tune in each one or does it matter?

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

No. You should pick a transponder, doesn't really matter which one (but don't take the few that are higher than all the others, pick one that is about average), then peak your dish on that signal.

When you are watching tv, the DTV receiver selects which transponder it needs to get the channel you are watching. You have no control at all over which transponder is selected (other than selecting a channel to watch).

Other than aligning a dish, or troubleshooting if you are having problems, there is really no need to look at transponder signal strength.

Carl

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

If you gonna fine tune your dish, use weakiest tpn for that.

#6 OFFLINE   kroll3086

kroll3086

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

Thank you guys for all your help. At least I understand all you guys were telling me. Thanks again

:)

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:12 AM

If you gonna fine tune your dish, use weakiest tpn for that.

But, don't pick one of the spot beam TPs. Some of these can be 0, very low or 100. On sat 101 they are 4, 12, 18, 20, 26, & 28.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall