Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MPEG4 RSN/Locals PQ

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sandsmith

sandsmith

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

I live in the New York City area and have HD with both cable and Directv. PQ overall is slightly better on Cable. However, the MPEG-4/ RSN delivery on Directv is not good at this time Choppy picture with quick motion ie: Pitcher in wind-up / players running. notice same issuues on the MPEG-4 locals when their is quick action. Is anybody around the country seeing this type of thing? seems as if they haven't gotten out the kinks in this area perhaps a spotbeam issue.? Would greatly appreciate feedback!!!! Directv CSR/Tech personell do not seem to understand this too well

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:15 PM

Here are couple threads which discuss the observation of the issue your seeing.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=63026

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=62673

#3 OFFLINE   sandsmith

sandsmith

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

Thanks mikeny I see you are from Long Island---I live in Smithtown. Thank Goodness I also have Cablevision with the RSN's working fine In addition I do not think MSG/FSN-NY HD produced games will be made available to Directv in the short term.

#4 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:44 PM

Thanks mikeny I see you are from Long Island---I live in Smithtown. Thank Goodness I also have Cablevision with the RSN's working fine In addition I do not think MSG/FSN-NY HD produced games will be made available to Directv in the short term.

No problem. Yes, I'm from Lynbrook. They just approved the FIOS application. I heard the PQ is great. Too bad I'm locked into 2 years now with the growing pains of mpeg-4. I'm not going to sub to 2 providers. It's bad enough I'm still with Optimum Online.

The baseball games look particularly disappointing, don't they? At least most of the YES HD games have been on Channel 95 in mpeg-2. I was under the impression that MSG and FSN NY would be added some time next month in mpeg-4.

I hope DirecTV fixes this mpeg-4 motion bug soon!

PS On a positive note, even though Tropical Storm Ernesto knocked out my power for 28 hours; with a downed tree on nearby block, the KA/KU dish didn't get affected at all! I guess it's installed pretty securely.

Good night.

spam firewall