Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

EPG time right but guide wrong?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Freckles

Freckles

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:00 AM

Hello,
I tried a search for this issue, but no luck. My 811 EPG has the correct time, but many times if a movie has 15 minutes or so left, the EPG will list the upcoming movie instead of the currently showing movie. Then once the movie has already started, the guide still shows the start time in parentheses next to the title as if it had not started yet. Because of this I have missed manual recording of programs because I couldn't tell at a glance whether or not they had started.

I haven't really noticed which channels, but Cinemax, HBO, and Showtime all do this. The software version is 380.

Is there a way to get the guide to reflect the current broadcast instead of the next? Even though the guide says something else, the info button will display the title of the current program.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

The time in paranthesis is the time the show is due to start. This is not unique to the 811. The EPG is broken down into 30 minute segments so movies that don't start on the hour are handle by the bracketing you see.

It would be nice to have a finer granularity in the EPG (15 minutes perhaps) but currently this is a works as designed.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   Freckles

Freckles

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:34 PM

Well, it didn't do this before as far as I can remember. The LAG that is...

For instance it shows that Pyrokinesis is currently playing on Showtime beyond (shows it's in progress, highlighted in yellow), but it is now 5:28. Next to Pyrokinesis it shows Grave of the Vampire should begin at 5:20 according to the parentheses. Ok, now at 5:29 the guide jumped to Grave of the Vampire, and shows it has already started. So it was 9 minutes into the next program before the guide "caught up." When I tune into a station, the programming and time and right but sometimes the "info" button still displays info about the prior programming.

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

Not sure about the nuances of the info block on the 811. Been a while since I had mine running. I can tell you though the 811 EPG has been in 30 minute blocksegements since the beginning. What you describe on the EPG is normal behaivor.

My guess is you are noticing it because in past you have been watching things mainly that fall on the 30 increments. Also, If you have say a two 15 minute shows in the same 30 minute segment, It will actually not show one of the segments. This is still true with the 622 and 211s as far as I know. With all difference between channels today and the games the networks are playing, Dish could use a more flexible EPG.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   Freckles

Freckles

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:55 AM

Thanks Barry. I hadn't noticed it but that makes sense. You're right--seems like there are more programs that ever starting at :20 after or :15 after.

spam firewall