Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Local Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   giden

giden

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:50 AM

Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but, once my HR20 reciever is installed along with the new 5lnb dish, will I just automatically get HD channels from my local networks? I already subscribe to the HD package from *D and I'm told that Washington, DC (my local channel area) is included. So what happens? Those network channels just show up in HD now?
:icon_peac

HR20-700
Vizio 42 Plasma
Harmon Kardon AVR 230
Magnavox MRV 640 DVD
RC32 RF
HDMI ; 1080i
5-Lnb; MPEG4 Locals

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

If they are available in your area.... then yes.. you will automatically get them.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   giden

giden

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

If they are available in your area.... then yes.. you will automatically get them.

Thanks! Bring on the NFL!!
:icon_peac

HR20-700
Vizio 42 Plasma
Harmon Kardon AVR 230
Magnavox MRV 640 DVD
RC32 RF
HDMI ; 1080i
5-Lnb; MPEG4 Locals

#4 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

You will see two local channel listing. For example if you have Channel 2. The first one will be the SD feed and the next one will be the HD feed.

#5 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:04 PM

You will see two local channel listing. For example if you have Channel 2. The first one will be the SD feed and the next one will be the HD feed.

So if you press the "2" key you will get SD, not HD. The order should be reversed.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

So if you press the "2" key you will get SD, not HD. The order should be reversed.

Not on my HR20, nor H20.
I hit 2... I get MPEG-4 CBS

It has something to do with the way the channels are setup in different markets.

Earl
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

Not on my HR20, nor H20.
I hit 2... I get MPEG-4 CBS

It has something to do with the way the channels are setup in different markets.

Earl

It doen't work that way on my H20. If I hit "2" it goes to the SD feed and then I have to hit channel up. I wish my worked like yours and brought up the HD feed first.

#8 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

Is there somewhere in the setup that you can make it go to the HD feed when you hit the channel number instead of the SD feed?

#9 OFFLINE   briang5000

briang5000

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:15 PM

Is there somewhere in the setup that you can make it go to the HD feed when you hit the channel number instead of the SD feed?

My setup in Cleveland has the HD before the SD, but if you don't plan on watching the SD channel you can simply take it out of your favorite list.

The HR20 has a very easily edited favorite list. You get two lists. I wish we had more than 2. When I was with D* they usually had 4 lists that were editable.

#10 OFFLINE   NutFlush920

NutFlush920

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

A few weeks back on DirecTV's site they listed Green Bay, WI as geting HD locals via satellite in October. Now they only have Greensboro, Madison, Portland ME listed.

Where did Green Bay, WI go? I have my HR20 being installed on the 23rd getting ready for the fall lineup of shows since my OTA antenna is junk.

#11 OFFLINE   JLove336

JLove336

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:24 PM

I am having my HR20 installed on Monday and I was curious as to whether or not I would get HD locals if I "move". I am definitely going to "move" in order to get the RSN I want, but do I have to be close enough to the city I move to in order to get the HD locals or can I get them no matter what Zip code I use?

If I have to be close, then does anybody have any idea approximently how many miles away from the city is the max to get the local HDs? Also, is it possible to enter a zip code in which you will automatically get the East/West feeds from NY and LA, apart from an NY or LA zip code?

#12 OFFLINE   Larry G

Larry G

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:28 AM

I am having my HR20 installed on Monday and I was curious as to whether or not I would get HD locals if I "move". I am definitely going to "move" in order to get the RSN I want, but do I have to be close enough to the city I move to in order to get the HD locals or can I get them no matter what Zip code I use?

If I have to be close, then does anybody have any idea approximently how many miles away from the city is the max to get the local HDs? Also, is it possible to enter a zip code in which you will automatically get the East/West feeds from NY and LA, apart from an NY or LA zip code?

The HD locals are spot beams. That means you have to be "near" the city. I am 80 miles from Chicago and I get it's locals. I don't know if RSN's are spot or not.

#13 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:39 AM

The HD RSNs are also spot-beam (MPEG4). JLove336, you could do a search for "spot beam coverage" or "spot beam map" (I haven't tried either so not really sure of results). People have posted links to maps that show the spot beam coverage areas in the past.

Of course, if you are interested in compying with the terms of service agreement, "moving" is not really allowed.

#14 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:06 AM

Does anyone have a list when D plans to roll out HD locals to certain cities?

#15 OFFLINE   theroys88

theroys88

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

They will not say but I promise you they have a timetable but are playing stupid.

#16 OFFLINE   OrlandoJoe

OrlandoJoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:53 AM

They will not say but I promise you they have a timetable but are playing stupid.

They published a timetable last year and then failed miserably trying to meet it. Orlando was supposed to get local HD in April, but didn't until late June or July. They are probably keeping their plans under wraps because publishing them only means disappointing customers when you miss the target date.

#17 OFFLINE   theroys88

theroys88

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

All I know is that Richmond is in the top 60 DMA market rankings and many cities with lower rankings are already getting HD locals. Unacceptable!!!!

#18 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

That is probably because they are having problems signing agreement with your local stations. I have seen post stating that. But, I could be wrong.

#19 OFFLINE   cbearnm

cbearnm

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

I know that the locals (HD) for Albuquerque are have been set up a couple of months ago as well. KNME is the uplink for D* (and Dish) and the certification has been done for a while now.
So it comes down to getting the agreements in place and shuffling capacity. Those things make it tough to go by DMA size.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...