Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: Tips and Tricks for the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:57 AM

This is an official DirecTV document; directly from their HR20 page.

Spec Sheet:
http://www.directv.c...20SpecSheet.pdf

Tips and Tricks:
http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P3940008

Thanks Alan for posting the link to the HR20 page.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KCWolfPck

KCWolfPck

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:27 PM

It just appears to be a spec sheet. What's up with the Tips and Tricks thread title?

#3 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:30 PM

It just appears to be a spec sheet. What's up with the Tips and Tricks thread title?

I guess Earl just wanted to make sure people saw the the TWO ATSC tuners part! ;)

Of course, I'm not sure if he noticed down at the bottom where it said that ATSC tuners would be activated in "Late 2006". Granted, October is Late 2006, but I would have preferred "Coming Soon" instead...

~Alan

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

Sorry about that... didn't realize there where two URLS

http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P3940008

for the tips and tricks
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

"--The Message icon informs you when there are unread messages in your Inbox"

That's nice that they tell you about something that they have haven't bothered to use. Hopefully this is a sign that they will start using this to let HR20 and R15 owners know about new features and updates.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#6 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:49 PM

Tip 1: Get to the Guide Quickly
Avoid the Category Sort screen by just pressing GUIDE twice.

I've got a tip for you D*, make it so it's an option so I only have to press it once! :rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:33 PM

I use the "Universal Remote" R7... I just learned 'guide' into an unused button, and the made the "GUIDE" button a macro that does two of the 'guide' buttons.. so now when I push it.. BOOM.. right to guide!

Of course.. you can't do this with the original remote.. but everyone should get a 'any brand' universal remote with lighting and better layout and all.. I use "Univeral Remote" brand R7... love it... brother uses a Harmony model.

#8 OFFLINE   Bornzo

Bornzo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

Earl,

I had a question re:HR20. Does this dvr allow for the use of the ota antenna? I have read that this is not possible as of now. Is this true? I have a HR20 on order for a 9/29 install and if this is true I will cancel because I would not be able to receive WGN or WTTW in HD.

Mike

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:59 AM

As of right now...Yes, the OTA has been disabled.

Current information, has it being enabled possible in October.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

Any chance someone has put out a TiVo to HR20 cheat sheet? Something like a side by side .pdf might be helpful to those making the transition. For example, and I know this one may seem simple but I don't know anything about the DIRECTV models, "Now Playing -> MyVOD" and the steps to get there.

#11 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

There not a Tivo to HR20 that I know off but you can check out the R15 FAQ. A lot of the info in it applys to HR20 too. http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=58959. It may not be 100% the same but it will give you a good base starting point.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#12 OFFLINE   grate88

grate88

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:09 PM

I've got a tip for you D*, make it so it's an option so I only have to press it once! :rolleyes:

Accidentally hit the BACK button instead of guide, and guess what...The guide comes up by pushing that one button. Give it a shot.

#13 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:24 PM

Accidentally hit the BACK button instead of guide, and guess what...The guide comes up by pushing that one button. Give it a shot.

The back button performs the last function you did.

Example: hit list the exit out. Then hit back, the list comes back on.

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:30 PM

But then you'd miss all of the "on demand" content that they have thoughtfully downloaded on your behalf.

#15 OFFLINE   laxcoach

laxcoach

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

Anyone know how to turn off the annoying active content while I'm watching Sunday Ticket? If freaking killed me on Sunday.

1-10 seconds after changing the channels an overlayed program comes up and blocks the football game. The first couple of times I didn't pay attention and I thought it was part of the broadcast.
I wasn't always a superstar. I used to be a boring old cup. Why would anyone make a show about something you throw away? But things change my friend. Money rolls in like waves lapping on the shore.

#16 OFFLINE   scheckeNYK

scheckeNYK

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:26 PM

Anyone know how to turn off the annoying active content while I'm watching Sunday Ticket? If freaking killed me on Sunday.

1-10 seconds after changing the channels an overlayed program comes up and blocks the football game. The first couple of times I didn't pay attention and I thought it was part of the broadcast.

great one! so annoying! and I barely got any of my alerts anyway, so what was the point? i had 9 guys in FF and i only got 2 alerts all day, but i must have seen that popup a hundred times. you'd think it could at least go away after i did what it said.

#17 OFFLINE   DJConan

DJConan

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:04 AM

Any chance someone has put out a TiVo to HR20 cheat sheet? Something like a side by side .pdf might be helpful to those making the transition. For example, and I know this one may seem simple but I don't know anything about the DIRECTV models, "Now Playing -> MyVOD" and the steps to get there.

I'm with you. I was using a stand alone Tivo and I've been playing with the HR20 since I picked it up last night. Very different. Different terminology has me looking right at the option I need sometimes and not realizing that it's the option I need. :lol:

I have some things that I think are not working right, so I get confused as to learning how to do something because it didn't work the first time I tried it, so I marked that off the list as to how to do it.

I seem to have problems pausing a program that is currently recording. I hit pause and the progress bar displays, but it won't pause. It will replay and it will slip, but not pause.

How do you get to the beginning of a VOD that is nearing the end? Rewind takes too long.

Is there a way to search symbols in the keyword search? I'm trying to figure out how to record Baltimore Ravens games w/o it recording every show related to the Ravens.

I don't exactly understand what the AutoRecord option means and how it differs from Record or why AutoRecord is not always an option. Does AutoRecord mean it will record similar programs to what I'm trying to record? If so, isn't that something like Tivo Suggestions?

I'm sorely missing the Tivo Suggestions feature. I was set in my ways with Tivo so that I almost never watched live TV. There was always enough content in the suggestions that I could always find something interesting to watch. So the first thing I had to do with the HR20 was run around the program guide like a chicken with it's head cut off randomly telling it to record programs that I have watched at some point or another. I just want want to fill it up so I'm not forced to watch live TV.

For me, when prime-time shows are not "in season" there's very little, if anything, that I would program my Tivo to record. Now with the HR20, I'll have nothing to watch but live TV during those months. It just seems foreign to me that I have to do something like go to 7pm and tell it to get me the series of Everybody Loves Raymond, the syndicate stuff. Then while I'm at it, record it at 7:30 too because I'm not currently recording anything else at that time. lol

Ugh...this is going to be a hard adjustment, but I wanted local HD and two tuners.

#18 OFFLINE   bigredexpy

bigredexpy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:20 AM

This is an official DirecTV document; directly from their HR20 page.

Thanks Alan for posting the link to the HR20 page.

Again -- Thanks Earl and others for providing so much information. The question of the day is... Are they listening?

Forget about the "Tivo" operations, every remote I've ever had, when I press "guide" it takes me to the guide, not some filtering menu.

#19 OFFLINE   forum junkie

forum junkie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

Earl - on the question about the OTA tuners. When I ordered my HR20 I was told that they were not yet working with the guide or mapped to the channels but that the channels could be accessed manually. Any truth to this ?

#20 OFFLINE   brewer4

brewer4

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

Now thats a trick. Great find!! :) Thanks.
The Meaning of Life...

Well there's nothing really special

Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in,
and try to live together in peace and harmony with all people of creeds and nations.

spam firewall