Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: Tips and Tricks for the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Frodtab

Frodtab

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

First post!!!

Great info here folks, thanks. I accepted three HR20s from D*, replacing 2 250's (which I kept). Other than Mpeg4 probs, I love 'em.

My question. With TiVo, you finish a show and delete it, it returns you to the menu exactly where you left off. So you can watch the next show without searching for it. On the HR you go back to the top. Is there a setting for this? Anyone else thinks this is a pain? My wife whines daily. (isn't it always the better half?)

Thanks
Don

I could not agree with you more. Always taking you to the top of the list is very annoying when your likely first action is with the recording you were just watching or in the same general time period where the last show was. Still, there are other issues that I'd rank higher in importance to fix but this one is an annoying one.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Dyno Don

Dyno Don

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:11 AM

I could not agree with you more. Always taking you to the top of the list is very annoying when your likely first action is with the recording you were just watching or in the same general time period where the last show was. Still, there are other issues that I'd rank higher in importance to fix but this one is an annoying one.

Oh, granted, this is nothing. I was hoping someone would respond and say "there is an option for that" but I guess not. With the limited space I have (I am used to self expanded TiVos) the list isn't ever going to be that long.

Don

#183 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

Earl,

With help from the dbstalk users, I have compiled a list of steps for a successful HR-20 installation. It would help a new user prevent many of the problems that we see in the forum.

Click below for the installation Tips and Tips and Tricks.

Thank you for doing this forum,

Craig

#184 OFFLINE   jayco59

jayco59

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:14 PM

I was wondering if the ATSC tuner's were enabled yet? I have the HR20 on order and it's scheduled for a Dec 11th installation and I need to have my Local HD's!
Thanks,
Jay

#185 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

No, they are not enabled. DirecTV has made several promises via several unofficial channels which seem to conflict, with dates from October through December.

They've also promised that the DVR will actually work, so, er, their information is sort of suspect.

#186 OFFLINE   Satster

Satster

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:53 AM

Thanks Scott, for the tip. But your last statement raises a question: is there anyway to prevent a picture-in-* window? Let's say you're recording two sporting events and want to start watching one or both before they're finished. You turn on the HR20, and, bam!, there's one of the games on your screen, even after you switch to MyVOD. A premature score-u-lation will most certainly result. After originally not liking it, I came to like the TiVo's lack of any "live" display unless you specifically selected it.

JS

I agree and this is a critical use case for me. All I do is record games it seems. I think there may be a solution, but I am not sure. I just got the HR20 and unfortunately, it looks like the hard drive is defective so they will be sending me a new unit, so I can only test it when I get it. I hope it works, otherwise I will be reverting to my HR10, solely based on the above problem.

Anyway, here is what I think should be possible. Before you turn on the TV, press LIST-SELECT-SELECT.
LIST should get you to the first myVOD screen, with the most recent show highlighted
The first SELECT should get you to the info screen for that show
The second SELECT should start that game from the beginning which should be OK.

You should then be able to hit PAUSE, then LIST to navigate to the show you actually want to start. I am hoping that at that point all you see in the preview window is the frozen frame from the beginning of one of the games.

Now if the most recent game in myVOD is the second of a back to backer on the same channel and the first one may have gone over the originally scheduled time, you still risk seeing the end of the first game. In that case, hit the DOWN button several times after hitting LIST. Then hit SELECT. (so LIST-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-...-SELECT-SELECT). This should get you to the beginning of a show on myVOD that is safe from spoilers. You can then hit PAUSE-LIST to pause this show and navigate to the show that you really want to watch without a spoiler.

It's more complicated than just hitting the DIRECTV button to see the "Now Playing" list on the HR10, but I really hope it would work. I would stand right in front of the unit while doing this to make sure all the commands "take".

I wish I could try it. If someone tries does, could they please post whether it works?

Satster (first post, new to the forum.)

#187 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:30 AM

Thanks Scott, for the tip. But your last statement raises a question: is there anyway to prevent a picture-in-* window? Let's say you're recording two sporting events and want to start watching one or both before they're finished. You turn on the HR20, and, bam!, there's one of the games on your screen, even after you switch to MyVOD. A premature score-u-lation will most certainly result. After originally not liking it, I came to like the TiVo's lack of any "live" display unless you specifically selected it.

JS

I agree and this is a critical use case for me. All I do is record games it seems. I think there may be a solution, but I am not sure. I just got the HR20 and unfortunately, it looks like the hard drive is defective so they will be sending me a new unit, so I can only test it when I get it. I hope it works, otherwise I will be reverting to my HR10, solely based on the above problem.

Anyway, here is what I think should be possible. Before you turn on the TV, press LIST-SELECT-SELECT.
LIST should get you to the first myVOD screen, with the most recent show highlighted
The first SELECT should get you to the info screen for that show
The second SELECT should start that game from the beginning which should be OK.

You should then be able to hit PAUSE, then LIST to navigate to the show you actually want to start. I am hoping that at that point all you see in the preview window is the frozen frame from the beginning of one of the games.

Now if the most recent game in myVOD is the second of a back to backer on the same channel and the first one may have gone over the originally scheduled time, you still risk seeing the end of the first game. In that case, hit the DOWN button several times after hitting LIST. Then hit SELECT. (so LIST-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN-...-SELECT-SELECT). This should get you to the beginning of a show on myVOD that is safe from spoilers. You can then hit PAUSE-LIST to pause this show and navigate to the show that you really want to watch without a spoiler.

It's more complicated than just hitting the DIRECTV button to see the "Now Playing" list on the HR10, but I really hope it would work. I would stand right in front of the unit while doing this to make sure all the commands "take".

I wish I could try it. If someone tries does, could they please post whether it works?

Satster (first post, new to the forum.)

I didn't quite follow your explanation, but I think you may be making it too complicated. If you are recording two games, before you want to switch to the other game, just hit Pause, then List. That way, the picture in the guide will just be paused on the game you were watching. Another way, since I assume you will never be able to read the scores in that tiny window, is to hit the mute button and then the stop button and that will take you to your list, but it takes you to live of whatever you are recording, so the mute is necessary in case they say the score. Hope that helps.
- Matt

#188 OFFLINE   Satster

Satster

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:00 AM

I didn't quite follow your explanation, but I think you may be making it too complicated. If you are recording two games, before you want to switch to the other game, just hit Pause, then List. That way, the picture in the guide will just be paused on the game you were watching. Another way, since I assume you will never be able to read the scores in that tiny window, is to hit the mute button and then the stop button and that will take you to your list, but it takes you to live of whatever you are recording, so the mute is necessary in case they say the score. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Sorry, I tend to be long winded. What I propose is really not that hard.

To be clear I am not worried about switching between games, just getting to the myVOD listing without any spoilers as soon as I turn the TV on.

Anyway, I think what you have is reasonable, and I will try it when I get a replacement HR20. But you have to understand I am really paranoid about finding out any hint of the score. Couple that with great peripheral vision :) and I think pausing still has some risks:.
- I did not get a chance to play with the HR20, but it seemed to me that I could read the score displayed during play in that small window in my 50 inch TV, but I admit I would need to be looking for it, which in this case I won't
- I could definitly read it if I catch the score displayed across screen just before they go to commercial.
- I could also freeze the frame on a shot of players celebrating a score or some other significant event.

This said, it seems simple and workable in most cases. It also eliminates the risk of not getting a long sequence of commands right.

Anyway, thanks again.

Satster

#189 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

Thanks. Sorry, I tend to be long winded. What I propose is really not that hard.

To be clear I am not worried about switching between games, just getting to the myVOD listing without any spoilers as soon as I turn the TV on.

Anyway, I think what you have is reasonable, and I will try it when I get a replacement HR20. But you have to understand I am really paranoid about finding out any hint of the score. Couple that with great peripheral vision :) and I think pausing still has some risks:.
- I did not get a chance to play with the HR20, but it seemed to me that I could read the score displayed during play in that small window in my 50 inch TV, but I admit I would need to be looking for it, which in this case I won't
- I could definitly read it if I catch the score displayed across screen just before they go to commercial.
- I could also freeze the frame on a shot of players celebrating a score or some other significant event.

This said, it seems simple and workable in most cases. It also eliminates the risk of not getting a long sequence of commands right.

Anyway, thanks again.

Satster

Ah, I get it now. If you are only recording one game and you haven't turned the tv on, you could just press the channel down button and that should change to a different channel while still recording the game. Then turn the tv on and you should be fine.

And trust me, I'm also paranoid about seeing the score when I'm watching two games and not caught up to live. This is OT, but I only watch the Bills and Bengals games and most of the time they are both on at 1 pm, so what I do is record both and start watching one. I then put tape across the screen so that I don't see the scores on the bottom of the screen. I also have to pray that they don't show any highlights from the other game. If they do, I just close my eyes and FF until I think I'm past it. Usually around each quarter, I will start the other and watch that one and switch back and forth.

Edit: and now going back and reading your post and trying to figure out what you are trying to accomplish, before you turn the tv on, you could always just hit List and then the Play button (instead of your select) to start the first recording.
- Matt

#190 OFFLINE   Satster

Satster

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

Edit: and now going back and reading your post and trying to figure out what you are trying to accomplish, before you turn the tv on, you could always just hit List and then the Play button (instead of your select) to start the first recording.

Thank you. Even better. Looks like I will actually use the HR20 when the replacement arrives. I just hope SW reliability will improve too. From what I've been reading, it's not pretty at the moment.

Satster

#191 OFFLINE   mwhaley

mwhaley

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

I use the "Universal Remote" R7... I just learned 'guide' into an unused button, and the made the "GUIDE" button a macro that does two of the 'guide' buttons.. so now when I push it.. BOOM.. right to guide!

Of course.. you can't do this with the original remote.. but everyone should get a 'any brand' universal remote with lighting and better layout and all.. I use "Univeral Remote" brand R7... love it... brother uses a Harmony model.

I have that remote, I thought you could only do macros on the power buttons.

Can you tell me or send me a link that shows how I can setup Macros on other keys, please.

#192 OFFLINE   giden

giden

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:15 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. I have the HR20 reciever, Visio 42" Plasma TV. How, if possible, can I get PIP to work? Thanks in advance for the help.
:icon_peac

HR20-700
Vizio 42 Plasma
Harmon Kardon AVR 230
Magnavox MRV 640 DVD
RC32 RF
HDMI ; 1080i
5-Lnb; MPEG4 Locals

#193 OFFLINE   snewo

snewo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. I have the HR20 reciever, Visio 42" Plasma TV. How, if possible, can I get PIP to work? Thanks in advance for the help.

I have to reply back with a question.

What inputs on your TV can you use with PIP? Let's assume that the answer to that question is HDMI and Component. Then you'll need to send the HR20 receiver into one of those inputs and have another device feed your other input. With the HR20 being your sole input method I know of no way to get PIP.

Snewo
Beer....it's what's for dinner.

#194 OFFLINE   giden

giden

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:28 AM

I have to reply back with a question.

What inputs on your TV can you use with PIP? Let's assume that the answer to that question is HDMI and Component. Then you'll need to send the HR20 receiver into one of those inputs and have another device feed your other input. With the HR20 being your sole input method I know of no way to get PIP.

Snewo

Thanks for the answer. I DO have HDMI and Component inputs on my TV. I also have (not in use) a spare HR10-250 box that I could use as the second device feed. My problem is: There are no lines available from my dish that I can connect to the second device. I guess I'm out of luck? And, if there were lines available for the second device, will *D activate the card OR will they make me pay for the additional device as if was set up to feed an additional tv/room on my system?
:icon_peac

HR20-700
Vizio 42 Plasma
Harmon Kardon AVR 230
Magnavox MRV 640 DVD
RC32 RF
HDMI ; 1080i
5-Lnb; MPEG4 Locals

#195 OFFLINE   mikepatt

mikepatt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the answer. I DO have HDMI and Component inputs on my TV. I also have (not in use) a spare HR10-250 box that I could use as the second device feed. My problem is: There are no lines available from my dish that I can connect to the second device. I guess I'm out of luck? And, if there were lines available for the second device, will *D activate the card OR will they make me pay for the additional device as if was set up to feed an additional tv/room on my system?

I have two boxes feeding one TV and I have to pay for both boxes.

Mike

#196 OFFLINE   mndwalsh

mndwalsh

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:36 AM

I have two boxes feeding one TV and I have to pay for both boxes.

Mike

me too, one of the greatest plans I have had was to leave the 10-250 in play for the wife and have a backup for all of my shows

#197 OFFLINE   mikepatt

mikepatt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

me too, one of the greatest plans I have had was to leave the 10-250 in play for the wife and have a backup for all of my shows

Yeah, I am using my old SD Tivo box as a backup for now, since I had so much trouble with my first HR-20. Since I got the replacement, I haven't needed the backup, but Murphy's Law says that as soon as I disconnect the backup, that is when I will start having trouble with the replacement! So for now, until all the bugs are out, I am keeping the backup.

Mike

#198 OFFLINE   satjay

satjay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:52 AM

I just upgraded to the HDDVR, and the info on this board has been great!. I do have one question. First Run VS repeats, I remeber my standard DVR recoring everything even if it was a re-run...But it kind of worked the cinks out. I am having the same problem with the NEW DVR, its recording re-runs like last nights "The Office" even though the guide has it posted as a re-reun???

Will this issue, just work it way by itself? or is there something else I can do, I have the latest software updates

#199 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:25 AM

I am having the same problem with the NEW DVR, its recording re-runs like last nights "The Office" even though the guide has it posted as a re-reun???

Check out this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=73997

If you have not looked at the Tips & Tricks link below, it has help with many of the features.

Please also cast your vote on Wishlist Survey link.

- Take Care,

Craig

#200 OFFLINE   CAL7

CAL7

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

I have an HR20 coming in 23 days and have scanned the forum for two days in eager anticipation. Despite all that reading, I have a couple of questions still unanswered (4 out of an initial list of hundreds ain't bad):

• Is there a consensus as to whether the HR10/MPEG2 or HR20/MPEG4 has better quality?
  • Since MPEG4 compresses more, if quality doesn't suffer, it would be preferable. In the NYC DMA, are the locals available as MPEG4 to get the higher storage? How about the nationwide east coast feeds (e.g. Ch 80, I think).
  • I have seen some hints that there is no folders option per se - just different ways to sort. Is this right? Until it crashed on me, this was a very nice feature with the HR10 6.3 update. If no folders on the HR20, is there any hint from D* that it is a coming attraction?
  • I love the HR10 remote - nice, compact and comfortable to hold in one hand. I assume the peanut-shape is gone, but how would you rate the HR20 remote for comfort?
Thanks for everyone's help!

spam firewall