Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: Tips and Tricks for the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#201 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,372 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

I have an HR20 coming in 23 days and have scanned the forum for two days in eager anticipation. Despite all that reading, I have a couple of questions still unanswered (4 out of an initial list of hundreds ain't bad):

• Is there a consensus as to whether the HR10/MPEG2 or HR20/MPEG4 has better quality?
  • Since MPEG4 compresses more, if quality doesn't suffer, it would be preferable. In the NYC DMA, are the locals available as MPEG4 to get the higher storage? How about the nationwide east coast feeds (e.g. Ch 80, I think).
  • I have seen some hints that there is no folders option per se - just different ways to sort. Is this right? Until it crashed on me, this was a very nice feature with the HR10 6.3 update. If no folders on the HR20, is there any hint from D* that it is a coming attraction?
  • I love the HR10 remote - nice, compact and comfortable to hold in one hand. I assume the peanut-shape is gone, but how would you rate the HR20 remote for comfort?
Thanks for everyone's help!

1. No consensus. I my own comparisons of MPEG2 HD vs. MPEG4 HD, I detect very little difference. DirecTV has been improving the MPEG4 encoders used for local HDTV rebroadcasts, and that seems to help a lot.

2. I don't get the East or West Coast feeds, so cannot comment on their quality.

3. The HR20 HD DVR has folders.

4. I think the HR20's remote is fine. Mostly I use my MX500 universal remote, though.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:36 PM

On the HR10, you can program the remote to turn on/off the TV and a Receiver both at the same time by just hitting the TV Power button once. It was a hidden feature of the HR10 (TiVo) remote.

Any way to do this with the HR20?

Right now I need to hit power on/off, then switch to AV1 and hit Power, then switch back to DirecTV mode.

#203 OFFLINE   Tbur

Tbur

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:43 AM

I also have a bit of the bottom guide cut off as well as a bit at the top of the screen. I've had other HD recievers (direct and comcast) in the past and not had an issue.

I have an Pioneer Pro 610HD (circa 2000 - it refuses to die :) connceted via component video cable.

In reading some of the posts it is suggested that the soution is in adjusting the TV ? There isn't anything in the users menu to allow this adjustment.

In that case does anyone know where I could find info about getting access to the service menu on this TV ? (its working great but I'd rather put any money towards a new plasma versus a service call :) )

Thanks!
Tim - HR20 - Hughes HDVR2 TIVO - Pioneer 610HD Sony DA30-ES - MX700

#204 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:06 AM

I also have a bit of the bottom guide cut off as well as a bit at the top of the screen. I've had other HD recievers (direct and comcast) in the past and not had an issue.

I have an Pioneer Pro 610HD (circa 2000 - it refuses to die :) connceted via component video cable.

In reading some of the posts it is suggested that the soution is in adjusting the TV ? There isn't anything in the users menu to allow this adjustment.

In that case does anyone know where I could find info about getting access to the service menu on this TV ? (its working great but I'd rather put any money towards a new plasma versus a service call :) )

Thanks!

I found this link for a service manual for the Pro 610HD. If you plan on keeping your Pioneer, it is worth the $10 the guy is asking. Pioneer used to ask as much as $75.00 for these manuals.

http://www.tradebit....searchfiles.php

This is slightly off topic, but until October, 2006 I owned a vintage 2001 Pioneer Elite Pro 620HD and loved it. It was the best looking HDTV in the neighborhood and well it should have been for $5,800. Prior to this set, I owned a Pro 510HD and before that one a Pro 77 RPTV. Needless to say, I was sold on Pioneer Elite.

In my frequent trips to Fry's, Best Buy, and Circuit City over the past 15 months, I kept noticing the white & black levels on the Sony SXRD A2000's. I finally decided to put my Pioneer on the market and I opted for a 1080p 55 in. Sony KDF55A2000 to replace my beloved Elite. I did not realize how much darker the Elite was after 5 years of use. I suspect your 610HD is also much darker and unlike newer LCD rear projection TV's, there is no lamp to replace to boost the whites and blacks. Replacing CRT's is expensive and frankly not practical.

Free advice department - it is time to replace your Pioneer and move up to one of the newer 1080p displays. SXRD prices are so much better than flat panel and plasma that they deserve a serious look.

The prices have never been better. I saw the 50" Sony SXRD at www.jr.com for under $2,000 including shipping from NYC. Trust me, this is the best picture I have ever seen on any tv at any price. I made the switch in October and could not be happier. ((As a 610HD owner, you will find the 84 pound SXRD footprint very acceptable in the space where your 610HD used to live.))

Good luck.

Dave

#205 OFFLINE   Tbur

Tbur

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

Yes I've been holding out, avoiding any look at new tv's as I know I'll be walking out with one ! They say about 7 years is the CRT life, so it's time. (I plan on getting out the wood working tools on the beautiful 610 cabinet and turning it into a stand for the new tv. I think it will be easier than trying to hoist the 300lb'er outa the house !

I may just relent and pay for a service call as I understand is an intricate adjustment (times 3 for each tube) or ... go dark side and start shopping !
Tim - HR20 - Hughes HDVR2 TIVO - Pioneer 610HD Sony DA30-ES - MX700

#206 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:42 AM

Yes I've been holding out, avoiding any look at new tv's as I know I'll be walking out with one ! They say about 7 years is the CRT life, so it's time. (I plan on getting out the wood working tools on the beautiful 610 cabinet and turning it into a stand for the new tv. I think it will be easier than trying to hoist the 300lb'er outa the house !

I may just relent and pay for a service call as I understand is an intricate adjustment (times 3 for each tube) or ... go dark side and start shopping !

I did some lengthy research on ebay and craigslist and the going price for one of these Elite RPTV's is somewhere between $550 and $750 for local pickup. Since you live in a large metro area, you might have a shot at finding a buyer. I sold mine in a private sale to a wannabee HDTV'er for $750, so I got lucky. Chances are your $5,000 TV will fetch $500 best case or it might be a great donation for some needy veteran's hospital or nursing home.

Good Luck.

spam firewall