Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: Tips and Tricks for the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

I love the dimming sequence:

Normal -> 100% Brightness
1 Press -> 99% Brightness
2 Presses -> 98% Brightness
3 Presses -> 97% Brightness
4 Presses -> OFF

Maybe the engineers who designed this were forced to work in a very bright lab, or are nearly blind :)
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   archie4oz

archie4oz

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:02 AM

I tried right arrow + active button combo to get to the "advanced menu" but the only option is for the phone (no LNB options like the R15). Does anybody know if the HR20 has an internal destacker? Of course I'm still on 0xac after Sunday's snafu, wondering if 0xcc enables those options...?

(One nice thing is you don't have to be in full-screen video mode to get to the advanced menu like on the R15)...

#43 OFFLINE   NurseDave

NurseDave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:41 AM

I love the dimming sequence:

Normal -> 100% Brightness
1 Press -> 99% Brightness
2 Presses -> 98% Brightness
3 Presses -> 97% Brightness
4 Presses -> OFF

HA! That's what I thought! They are pretty when they swirl around though.

#44 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:58 AM

I tried right arrow + active button combo to get to the "advanced menu" but the only option is for the phone (no LNB options like the R15). Does anybody know if the HR20 has an internal destacker? Of course I'm still on 0xac after Sunday's snafu, wondering if 0xcc enables those options...?

(One nice thing is you don't have to be in full-screen video mode to get to the advanced menu like on the R15)...

You should be on 0xCC by now... Sunday' snafu was fixed on Sunday, and update process where re-enabled.

I waiting for confirmation of the destacker in the HR20.
My one contact thinks in there, I have another checking on it.

IMHO, the FTM is a destacking solution (to a degree), but not sure if they would have put the same destacker (that is in the R15) into the HR20.

Why? Most MDU (which was the target), don't use a stacking technique that carries all 5 LNBs, that is what the FTM is for.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   archie4oz

archie4oz

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, I reset my HR20 this morning and I noticed that it picked up 0xcc.

Our building doesn't have a 5LNB dish (yet... We're petitioning to get our installation updated), we're stuck with a basic round dish with a stacked signal. So my HR20 is basically gonna be used as a fast R15 with more storage until our installation is upgraded. And hopefully the OTA tuner will get enabled soon as well since we've got excellent ASTC reception in the building.

But I guess I may have to pick up an external destacker (Ugh!) for the time being...

#46 OFFLINE   cwalton1

cwalton1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:27 AM

Quick question for a new HR20 user transitioning from a Phillips DVR. Is there a way to watch two live shows at once? With my Phillips I could push down on the circle on the remote and it would flip to another channel. I looked through the manual but didn't see it right off the bat. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

#47 OFFLINE   dthoman

dthoman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:28 AM

This is a hot button topic. There is no dual buffer. Meaning only one live show at a time. You may still record two shows but there is only one live buffer.

See the post under buffer poll on the main portion of this forum.

#48 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:19 AM

Sorry if this has already been covered.

If I put 2 of these babies together....will I be able to control each one seperately with different remotes? (I can do this w/HR10's)

#49 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:58 AM

Sorry if this has already been covered.

If I put 2 of these babies together....will I be able to control each one seperately with different remotes? (I can do this w/HR10's)

Yes.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#50 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:51 AM

Yes.

Thanks.

#51 OFFLINE   fdeitz

fdeitz

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

How do you get to the beginning of a VOD that is nearing the end? Rewind takes too long.

Ugh...this is going to be a hard adjustment, but I wanted local HD and two tuners.

I also just got the HR20 after having Tivo for many years, and for the same reasons (local HD and 2 tuners). The thing that is bugging me the most is how to jump back to the beginning of a VOD, and then jumping forward (or backwards) at 15 minute or so intervals like what can be done with Tivo.

Also, and I think this is a bug - the manual record of a channel at a certain time on a daily basis doesn't seem to work. My wife watches a show that is on from 9-9:30 AM every day during the week, and I tried setting it up as a manual record and nothing shows up in the "To Do List" even though it shows up in the "Prioritizer" (and nothing else conflicts with that time anyway). I would do a "Series Link" but this show repeats at 1 PM. If I set it up as a Series Link I'll get both times as both the 9 AM and 1 PM shows are listed as "First Run Episodes" even though they are the same. Anyway, the manual record (which is what I used on Tivo to solve this problem) just doesn't seem to work here at all.

Anyway, it is a hard adjustment from Tivo - espeically not having any way to rapidly jump to a certain point in the recorded program. I also miss the fast forward autocorrect feature, but I know this is somthing that Tivo has a patent on.

#52 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

The thing that is bugging me the most is how to jump back to the beginning of a VOD, and then jumping forward (or backwards) at 15 minute or so intervals like what can be done with Tivo.

Hold down the FFWD, RWD, jump back, and advance buttons for this functionality.

#53 OFFLINE   billt1111

billt1111

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:59 AM

Hold down the FFWD, RWD, jump back, and advance buttons for this functionality.

I would like this functionality too but can't tell if you are serious or not. I would try it but I cannot figure out what buttons these are. I know what FFWD and RWD are. Which two are jump back and adv? Are those the two above the FFWD and RWD on the D* remote? I tried these four but nothing happened. Plus its not easy to hold down four buttons at once, obviously.

#54 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:26 PM

I would like this functionality too but can't tell if you are serious or not. I would try it but I cannot figure out what buttons these are. I know what FFWD and RWD are. Which two are jump back and adv? Are those the two above the FFWD and RWD on the D* remote? I tried these four but nothing happened. Plus its not easy to hold down four buttons at once, obviously.

He didn't mean to hold all four buttons at once. If everything's working properly, you should be able to ....
* To jump to end of recording, press and hold "Skip FWD" (button above FF)
* To jump to beginnig of recording, press and hold "Skip Back" (button above REW)
* To jump to next "tick" on the timeline, press and hold FF
* To jump to previous "tick", press and hold REW

#55 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

Heh, all 4 at once? No, just individually. The one above fast forward is the "advance" button or "30 second slip" button. Hold this down for 3 seconds to goto the end of the recording or back to live tv if you're in the live buffer. Same for the jump back button, right above the rewind button; hold it down for 3 seconds to jump to the beginning of the recording or live buffer. Holding down either the fast forward or rewind buttons for 3 seconds will skip to the 15 minute tick marks in the recording. Btw, I am always quite serious :D

#56 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

He didn't mean to hold all four buttons at once. If everything's working properly, you should be able to ....
* To jump to end of recording, press and hold FF
* To jump to beginnig of recording, press and hold REW
* To jump to next "tick" on the timeline, press and hold "Skip FWD" (button above FF)
* To jump to previous "tick", press and hold "Skip Back" (button above REW)

You got your trickplay buttons mixed up :rolleyes:

#57 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:31 PM

Plus its not easy to hold down four buttons at once, obviously...
-------------------------------------------
Sounds like a Microsoft command to me!!

#58 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:58 PM

You got your trickplay buttons mixed up :rolleyes:

My bad. I fixed my original post. I have these commands programmed onto my MX500 remote, so I got mixed up on which keys did which command. Thanks for the correction.

#59 OFFLINE   Soundteck

Soundteck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:56 AM

Does anyone know how to stop and delete a recording without going to the end? I have tried to pause and then hit -- and nothing happens there.

#60 OFFLINE   pcates

pcates

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:22 AM

Does anyone know how to stop and delete a recording without going to the end? I have tried to pause and then hit -- and nothing happens there.

Try using BACK and that should put you to where you can delete the recording. It will either be on the play screen with an option to delete or in MyVOD with that recording highlighted. You can hit Select and then delete from there.

spam firewall