Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: Tips and Tricks for the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Bad Rex

Bad Rex

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

Hello everyone. Sure wish I would have known about this place before I decided to put HD in a second room in the house. Those fine folk who don't work for commissions basically told me I needed an HR20, without mentioning that I wouldn't be able to get OTA HD or that I needed a 5 LNB dish to get local HD via satellite. :eek2:

So I'm still waiting for local HD, but in the meantime I am slowly adapting to the differences of the HR20 and and my existing HR10-200.

I still have one issue. The HR10 had a one button (down arrow) way to switch tuners. I was in the habit of using this to switch back and forth between channels without losing the ability to rewind either channel if I wanted too. (Yes I am a DVR junkie/Tivoholic or whatever you want to call it.) But I can't seem to find the same functionality on the HR20. It seems like I have to explicitly start recording on both channels in order to switch back and forth with rewind capability. Anyone know an easier way to do this on the HR20?

FWIW, when I talked to Tier 2 DirecTV support as of Friday, they were still giving late 2006 as the ETA for OTA with a target of October.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

Hello everyone. Sure wish I would have known about this place before I decided to put HD in a second room in the house. Those fine folk who don't work for commissions basically told me I needed an HR20, without mentioning that I wouldn't be able to get OTA HD or that I needed a 5 LNB dish to get local HD via satellite. :eek2:

So I'm still waiting for local HD, but in the meantime I am slowly adapting to the differences of the HR20 and and my existing HR10-200.

I still have one issue. The HR10 had a one button (down arrow) way to switch tuners. I was in the habit of using this to switch back and forth between channels without losing the ability to rewind either channel if I wanted too. (Yes I am a DVR junkie/Tivoholic or whatever you want to call it.) But I can't seem to find the same functionality on the HR20. It seems like I have to explicitly start recording on both channels in order to switch back and forth with rewind capability. Anyone know an easier way to do this on the HR20?

FWIW, when I talked to Tier 2 DirecTV support as of Friday, they were still giving late 2006 as the ETA for OTA with a target of October.

You can't. There are no dual buffers on the HR20 (yet anyway).

#63 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

Thought I might share a little tip I found usefull (If you scour the manual you will fiind it too)

You can change the default recording options - for one touch recording or two touch season pass! (e.g. first run only / keep till I delete / at most 2 programs etc.)

Just hit the quick menu button while you have the recording options screen displayed. In the quick menu you will find the option to change default recording options.

One touch recording rocks!

#64 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

Another cool trick - bookmarks

While watching a recorded program you can add index points called bookmarks.

To add a bookmark while the show is playing you press PAUSE-GREEN-PAUSE
(The second pause is optional and will simpy restart play)

The best way to access the bookmarks is by accessing the quick menu (during play) In the menu you will see "Bookmarks" Highlight and select that option the next screen will list all the bookmark points you have entered. You can then select which point you wish to travel to. Works like charm.

To delete the bookmarks in the quick menu listing, highlight the one you want deleted and press dash twice - -

(edit note - the bookmarks option will not show up in the quick menu until you have added a bookmark)

#65 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,038 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

Thanks Wanderer!

In addition to watching a whole lotta new HD stuff that I never would have seen (broadcast at 2-3 in the morning) - this HD DVR is actually getting to be fun with the new toys in it. Short Cuts, Bookmarks, and the like make this a valuable and enjoyable device in the Home Theater.

#66 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

Another cool trick - bookmarks

While watching a recorded program you can add index points called bookmarks.

To add a bookmark while the show is playing you press PAUSE-GREEN-PAUSE
(The second pause is optional and will simpy restart play)

The best way to access the bookmarks is by accessing the quick menu (during play) In the menu you will see "Bookmarks" Highlight and select that option the next screen will list all the bookmark points you have entered. You can then select which point you wish to travel to. Works like charm.

To delete the bookmarks in the quick menu listing, highlight the one you want deleted and press dash twice - -

(edit note - the bookmarks option will not show up in the quick menu until you have added a bookmark)

I have to thank you for actually reading the manual. This is an awesome find and I'm sure all of us will find a great use for it. Bookmarking a great play in a sporting event comes to mind immediately. Thanks again.

#67 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:14 AM

You can change the default recording options - for one touch recording or two touch season pass! (e.g. first run only / keep till I delete / at most 2 programs etc.)

This is a great tip. When you change the default options, do the new default options apply for all types of recordings, e.g., title searches, channel searches, etc., or just one touch recordings (it would be great if it applied to all)?

Is there any way to turn the viewing window off when you're in the list or searching for something to record? While I generally like this option, there are times that I'm recording something and don't want to see what is happening while I'm in one of the other menus.

To me so far, the biggest negative with the HR20 is that it doesn't automatically rewind out of the FF mode. I know that this is due to a TiVo patent, but it is a problem. The workaround of hitting replay just hasn't been working for me; it doesn't rewind enough.

BTW - When I want to skip to the end of a recorded show, holding the advance button doesn't work. I need to tap that button and then tap it again and hold it the second time for 3 seconds. Then it goes to the end. I have the same problem with the replay button. Anyone else experiencing this?

#68 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:26 AM

This is a great tip. When you change the default options, do the new default options apply for all types of recordings, e.g., title searches, channel searches, etc., or just one touch recordings (it would be great if it applied to all)?

Is there any way to turn the viewing window off when you're in the list or searching for something to record? While I generally like this option, there are times that I'm recording something and don't want to see what is happening while I'm in one of the other menus.

To me so far, the biggest negative with the HR20 is that it doesn't automatically rewind out of the FF mode. I know that this is due to a TiVo patent, but it is a problem. The workaround of hitting replay just hasn't been working for me; it doesn't rewind enough.

BTW - When I want to skip to the end of a recorded show, holding the advance button doesn't work. I need to tap that button and then tap it again and hold it the second time for 3 seconds. Then it goes to the end. I have the same problem with the replay button. Anyone else experiencing this?

My skip to end/beginning bottons work great on the original remote that came with the HR20 - I use a harmony 880 though, and I have to hold the bottons down for 3 seconds, let up then tap again immediately to have the same effect. It works ok - I could probably get it to work properly if I took the time?!:rolleyes:

#69 OFFLINE   Freshy

Freshy

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:25 AM

Hi, I'm not very technical, and I just got the HR-20 installed two days ago, and it seems clunky. My main issue is when I'm changing from a HD channel to a SD channel, there is a long (few seconds at least) pause and what seems to be channel flipping. i noticed that it's the box going through all the different resolutions. Is there anyway to prevent that? Also, when I switch to a HD channel, the box defaults to the thrid resolution instead of the 1080. Can i fix that as well? It sucks being a novice.

Thanks in advance.

#70 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hi, I'm not very technical, and I just got the HR-20 installed two days ago, and it seems clunky. My main issue is when I'm changing from a HD channel to a SD channel, there is a long (few seconds at least) pause and what seems to be channel flipping. i noticed that it's the box going through all the different resolutions. Is there anyway to prevent that? Also, when I switch to a HD channel, the box defaults to the thrid resolution instead of the 1080. Can i fix that as well? It sucks being a novice.

Thanks in advance.

Go into your setup and where you specify the output resolution, turn NATIVE OFF, and set it manually to 720P or 1080i, whichever is the NATIVE mode of your TV. I use 720P on my Samsung HL-R5667W ( its native display resolution is 720P).

Once you "fix" the output resolution to one value (by turning the option NATIVE off inside the HR20, you won't have the "klunkiness".

...hasan, N0AN

#71 OFFLINE   politzer

politzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:48 AM

I'm experiencing the same clunkiness so I changed to Native "off", but now I'm noticing the type fonts on all menus and guide info is fuzzy, not sharp.

#72 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:05 AM

I'm experiencing the same clunkiness so I changed to Native "off", but now I'm noticing the type fonts on all menus and guide info is fuzzy, not sharp.

Try setting the output resolution properly. It should be set for either 720p or 1080i...one of the two will be better than the other.

For a test, go to the station (it must be HD) where you see "fuzzy" text, and manually change the resolution from the front panel to 720p then to 1080i....see which one looks best and then lock the HR20 into that resolution.

Now...if you are seeing "fuzzy" resolution on a standard def channel (SD), that is NORMAL....DirecTV SD is fuzzy, especially when compared to HD. Some channels are MUCH worse than others.

So you need to determine if the problem is the resolution of the HR 20 (how it's set), or just the result of poor program source.

It's also easy not to set the resolution properly. Look at the front panel, an LED will be light under the resolution that is currently being used. I'm betting you have your resolution set to 480 and not 720P or 1080i. Get that part right first and then fix your output resolution to what looks best (it will be either 720p or 1080i).

...hasan, N0AN

#73 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

Try setting the output resolution properly. It should be set for either 720p or 1080i...one of the two will be better than the other.

For a test, go to the station (it must be HD) where you see "fuzzy" text, and manually change the resolution from the front panel to 720p then to 1080i....see which one looks best and then lock the HR20 into that resolution.

Now...if you are seeing "fuzzy" resolution on a standard def channel (SD), that is NORMAL....DirecTV SD is fuzzy, especially when compared to HD. Some channels are MUCH worse than others.

So you need to determine if the problem is the resolution of the HR 20 (how it's set), or just the result of poor program source.

It's also easy not to set the resolution properly. Look at the front panel, an LED will be light under the resolution that is currently being used. I'm betting you have your resolution set to 480 and not 720P or 1080i. Get that part right first and then fix your output resolution to what looks best (it will be either 720p or 1080i).

...hasan, N0AN

And also make sure your TV is actually in 720p or 1080i mode as well (whichever is it's native resolution). And match that up with the HR20. So if you have a 1080i HDTV then make sure it's set to that and then set to the HR20 to match at 1080i.

#74 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:05 PM

it's a pity that something as simple as native resolution support couldn't even get implemented properly.

has anyone been keeping track of the number of features we lost going from the HR10 to the HR20?

#75 OFFLINE   swconsult

swconsult

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:15 PM

Earl, Do you know which bird the software updates come down from? I currently don't receive one of the birds due to it's ridiculously low elevation. It'll improve in the winter and I can't see that they'd add any other HD to it anyway. It just has three channels now. Beats the option of cable and it's a primary DISH bird so they would be worse.

#76 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:54 PM

"it's a pity that something as simple as native resolution support couldn't even get implemented properly."

I think it works OK on mine. It takes about five seconds for it to change resolutions on my Panny TC-32LX60 thru HDMI, and does not cycle thru all of them.

However, my wife would not want even that much hesitation, so Native is "Off" on my HR20.

#77 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:34 PM

"
I think it works OK on mine. It takes about five seconds for it to change resolutions on my Panny TC-32LX60 thru HDMI, and does not cycle thru all of them.

However, my wife would not want even that much hesitation, so Native is "Off" on my HR20.

five seconds is a long time. I don't think your wife is being very unreasonable.

#78 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:57 PM

It takes about five seconds for it to change resolutions...

Mine hated having to manually switch it, so the native is a blessing for us. It only pauses when there's actually a change, so switching between 480i channels, etc., is no big deal. The 3 seconds it takes to switch to the proper resolution when there is a change is worth it, as far as my wife's concerned.

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

#79 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

HR20 Dual Buffer (JUST ADDED!!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently, technically a dual buffer does not exist.
However, for all practical purposes something better exists.

Try this once! It works great!!!

1.) Tune to channel A (live buffer of 90 min)

2.) Use quick guide to record desired channel B (unlimited buffer)

3.) Start playback of channel B recording

4.) Press prev. button - will autopause and take you INSTANTLY back to live tv channel A

5.) Press prev. button again and you will go back to recording INSTANTLY (channel B will auto play from where you had left off)

You can toggle the prev. button to repeat the tuner switch endlessly.

Even better than dual buffer!

#80 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

HR20 Dual Buffer (JUST ADDED!!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently, technically a dual buffer does not exist.
However, for all practical purposes something better exists.

Try this once! It works great!!!

1.) Tune to channel A (live buffer of 90 min)

2.) Use quick guide to record desired channel B (unlimited buffer)

3.) Start playback of channel B recording

4.) Press prev. button - will autopause and take you INSTANTLY back to live tv channel A

5.) Press prev. button again and you will go back to recording INSTANTLY (channel B will auto play from where you had left off)

You can toggle the prev. button to repeat the tuner switch endlessly.

Even better than dual buffer!

Cool! I'll have to try it. If it works, you may be a very popular person around here!!

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

Protected By... spam firewall...And...