Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: Tips and Tricks for the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:29 PM

Cool! I'll have to try it. If it works, you may be a very popular person around here!!

It sounds too good to be true - but it works - amazing! :D

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

Am I correct in assuming that if you want to change one of the channels, you have to change channel A (90 min buffer)? Or does any channel change screw up the whole system?

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

#83 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

Am I correct in assuming that if you want to change one of the channels, you have to change channel A (90 min buffer)? Or does any channel change screw up the whole system?

You can change whatever you want - just remember that Prev. switches back over to the last thing you were doing. I'm almost certain after changing channel A you would simply have to use quick menu to resume playing channel b (from where it had left off) - from there you can use prev. toggle again!

#84 OFFLINE   ssalerno

ssalerno

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

Has anyone found a way to have your remote control the volume on you stereo receiver without having to switch the switch off of directv?

I can switch to avs1 which is where it's programed at but it's a pain to switch and adjust volume then switch back my old hr10-250 did it?

--steve

#85 OFFLINE   VinceV

VinceV

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

Has anyone found a way to have your remote control the volume on you stereo receiver without having to switch the switch off of directv?

I can switch to avs1 which is where it's programed at but it's a pain to switch and adjust volume then switch back my old hr10-250 did it?

--steve

You can punch the volume buttons through so the volume buttons will ALWAYS control AV1. Go into the remote setup and it explains how to do this.

#86 OFFLINE   jbstix

jbstix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

HR20 Dual Buffer (JUST ADDED!!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently, technically a dual buffer does not exist.
However, for all practical purposes something better exists.

Try this once! It works great!!!

1.) Tune to channel A (live buffer of 90 min)

2.) Use quick guide to record desired channel B (unlimited buffer)

3.) Start playback of channel B recording

4.) Press prev. button - will autopause and take you INSTANTLY back to live tv channel A

5.) Press prev. button again and you will go back to recording INSTANTLY (channel B will auto play from where you had left off)

You can toggle the prev. button to repeat the tuner switch endlessly.

Even better than dual buffer!

Been doing this method for a few days since I got the new HR20 this week.
It works as an alternative to true dual live buffers, but IMHO not as good or better than the real thing.
Hopefully the real thing will be added in next months software update.
Nice find Wanderer - good luck to everyone.

jb
(2) HR20-700
(1) HR10-250 500Gb fully hacked/networked
(1) DSR6000 R.I.P unsub

#87 OFFLINE   uteotw

uteotw

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hello everyone. Sure wish I would have known about this place before I decided to put HD in a second room in the house. Those fine folk who don't work for commissions basically told me I needed an HR20, without mentioning that I wouldn't be able to get OTA HD or that I needed a 5 LNB dish to get local HD via satellite. :eek2:

So I'm still waiting for local HD, but in the meantime I am slowly adapting to the differences of the HR20 and and my existing HR10-200.FWIW, when I talked to Tier 2 DirecTV support as of Friday, they were still giving late 2006 as the ETA for OTA with a target of October.

Um, I had not heard this either. I, too, am in the Chicago area (western burbs). Are you saying I won't get my locals in HD until "later"? ? ?

#88 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:43 PM

Um, I had not heard this either. I, too, am in the Chicago area (western burbs). Are you saying I won't get my locals in HD until "later"? ? ?

You should be able to get your locals via D* now. Locals via an OTA antenna will come soon once a software update for the HR20 enables the OTA tuner.

#89 OFFLINE   jbstix

jbstix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

back on topic here a little...
something I discovered by accident last nite.
I had started recording Narnia, but apparently Starz had trouble with that showing, and they ran movie trailers for the first 35 mins. or so. So, I stopped the recording, then flipped back and Narnia had finally started so, I hit Record again, and it had the entire buffer from the beginning. So, apparently that buffer was still "around" in memory. Don't know if this is considered a tip or trick, but I found it interesting.
YMMV -

jb

#90 OFFLINE   jelia

jelia

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:05 PM

its typical also on TIvo to have buffer stay in memory even days later if machine was off.
meaning i can watch saterday night live then leave it on pause or put machine in standby then turn it on the next day but RR the live tv so I acctualy see the buffer from the day before

#91 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

---jj-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, for all practical purposes something better exists.

Try this once! It works great!!!

1.) Tune to channel A (live buffer of 90 min)

2.) Use quick guide to record desired channel B (unlimited buffer)

3.) Start playback of channel B recording

4.) Press prev. button - will autopause and take you INSTANTLY back to live tv channel A

5.) Press prev. button again and you will go back to recording INSTANTLY (channel B will auto play from where you had left off)

You can toggle the prev. button to repeat the tuner switch endlessly.

Even better than dual buffer!

help this novice please and tell me what quik giude is.....

#92 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

help this novice please and tell me what quik giude is.....

quick guide (or maybe mini guide) can be accessed by hitting the blue button on your remote. It pulls up a one line guide at the bottom of your screen while you continue to watch your program.

#93 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

quick guide (or maybe mini guide) can be accessed by hitting the blue button on your remote. It pulls up a one line guide at the bottom of your screen while you continue to watch your program.

thanks for the fast response........and the great find!!!!!! I am overall very happy with the HR20 albeit not user friendly like tivo but wouldnt give it up ........i can record in HD my Yanks going all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#94 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

thanks for the fast response........and the great find!!!!!! I am overall very happy with the HR20 albeit not user friendly like tivo but wouldnt give it up ........i can record in HD my Yanks going all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give it time! :) It's much better than TIVO ever was!

#95 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

Give it time! :) It's much better than TIVO ever was!

I believe your right......and these great trick finds are leveling the playing field......am about to try your find...when you "Start playback of channel B recording" -must you go into list?

#96 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

I use the quick guide a lot for Sunday Ticket. I have one favorite list for my normal viewing. And one list for NFL/Sunday Ticket. So on Sunday I change the guide to use the NFL favorite list. Then use the quick one line guide with the blue button to quickly switch from game to game. Very, very nice.

#97 OFFLINE   jbstix

jbstix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

its typical also on TIvo to have buffer stay in memory even days later if machine was off.
meaning i can watch saterday night live then leave it on pause or put machine in standby then turn it on the next day but RR the live tv so I acctualy see the buffer from the day before

What Tivo unit are you currently using? I remember this being possible years ago on my DSR6000 with older buggy software. But, haven't seen anything like you are describing in years.

Another quick tip, along the same lines of my earlier tip, I found by accident this morning.
I recorded a showing of Andy Griffith this AM, the recording had ended and I was watching a completly different channel. Then via the Guide selected the new episode of Andy Griffith on TVLand to record, and it recorded from the beginning - although it was about 10 minutes into the showing. So, it's apparent all the workings of the true live buffer are present, they just aren't active yet.
Anyway, like I said this is aloong the same lines of the other posts - maybe someone will find this useful. I did. :)

jb

#98 OFFLINE   sandiegojoe

sandiegojoe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the only problem I'm having. If I hit pause on channel B, it does not stay paused (so if I watch channel A for 5 mins, channel b will be 5 mins ahead when I get back) switching while watching does not cause channel B to pause either.

Any ideas?

#99 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by WANDERER

5.) Press prev. button again and you will go back to recording INSTANTLY (channel B will auto play from where you had left off
)

i have put on channel A, then put quick guide on using blue and choose channel B I then record channel B . I go to list and play channel B. Previous channel brings me to A live (90 minute buffer intact, then previous channel wonderfully brings me to B autopaused where i last left it, but toggle again and A is in live and not autopaused where i last played (although buffer intact).Yes autopuase on B is working!!! but i cant pause A and it always come back live when switching back from (the recording) B

what step am i doing incorrectly? Or this is as close as dual buffering as possible? .

thanks!!!!

#100 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:27 AM

This is the only problem I'm having. If I hit pause on channel B, it does not stay paused (so if I watch channel A for 5 mins, channel b will be 5 mins ahead when I get back) switching while watching does not cause channel B to pause either.

Any ideas?

yeah - don't hit pause - just hit prev. it will autopause for you. You may be undoing the autopause if you hit pause first? What software version are you running? Again hit prev button not the back button

Protected By... spam firewall...And...