Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: Tips and Tricks for the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by WANDERER
HR20 Dual Buffer (JUST ADDED!!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently, technically a dual buffer does not exist.
5.) Press prev. button again and you will go back to recording INSTANTLY (channel B will auto play from where you had left off
)

i have put on channel A, then put quick guide on using blue and choose channel B I then record channel B . I go to list and play channel B. Previous channel brings me to A live (90 minute buffer intact, then previous channel wonderfully brings me to B autopaused where i last left it, but toggle again and A is in live and not autopaused where i last played (although buffer intact).Yes autopuase on B is working!!! but i cant pause A and it always come back live when switching back from (the recording) B

what step am i doing incorrectly? Or this is as close as dual buffering as possible? .

thanks!!!!

as close as possible, unless you setup a quick macro that autopauses live tv on a before it switches over. Ya know - the tivo dual buffer did not autopause anythingl :) Atleast on my old series 1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

I am confused here. If I have Native off and I am watching say MTV and it is in 480i or let's say even 480p and at 9:00 I change the channel to Lost on ABC and it is in 1080i, it won't default to 1080i? I would have to have Native On for it to pickup on the fact that I switched between two channels that had different resolutions?

Mine hated having to manually switch it, so the native is a blessing for us. It only pauses when there's actually a change, so switching between 480i channels, etc., is no big deal. The 3 seconds it takes to switch to the proper resolution when there is a change is worth it, as far as my wife's concerned.

#103 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

I just got my HR20 today. I can't seem to make the "channels I receive" guide work. Do I have to set it up manually like the HR10?

Thanks

#104 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

I just got my HR20 today. I can't seem to make the "channels I receive" guide work. Do I have to set it up manually like the HR10?

yep. they should just change the name of the list to 'Every Freakin Channel' and be done with it.

#105 OFFLINE   Frodtab

Frodtab

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

Thanks

The "Channels I Receive" functionality does not work yet.

#106 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

I am confused here. If I have Native off and I am watching say MTV and it is in 480i or let's say even 480p and at 9:00 I change the channel to Lost on ABC and it is in 1080i, it won't default to 1080i? I would have to have Native On for it to pickup on the fact that I switched between two channels that had different resolutions?

That is correct. With Native off, it won't switch automatically (similar to the HR10, if you had one of those). You'll have to know what format the particular station is broadcasting in, and manually switch it yourself. With Native on, it detects it automatically, but the trade-off is that currently there is a delay as it figures out which resolution to switch to.

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

#107 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. It sounds to me like Native on will be the way to go for me. However I do have another question now. If I decide in the future to turn it off and then I setup series links or just plain old recordings will it matter. Does it record and then when you playback you choose the resolution? Does that make sense?

That is correct. With Native off, it won't switch automatically (similar to the HR10, if you had one of those). You'll have to know what format the particular station is broadcasting in, and manually switch it yourself. With Native on, it detects it automatically, but the trade-off is that currently there is a delay as it figures out which resolution to switch to.

#108 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. It sounds to me like Native on will be the way to go for me. However I do have another question now. If I decide in the future to turn it off and then I setup series links or just plain old recordings will it matter. Does it record and then when you playback you choose the resolution? Does that make sense?

The HR20 records the raw sat stream for that channel, so it stores all information about the show regardless of the settings on your HR20. Native mode only effects what is currently being displayed by the HR20 and nothing else; even if you record a show you're currently watching in HD and set the output to 480p it is still recording the show in it's HD resolution.

#109 OFFLINE   bds42

bds42

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

Just so that I'm undestanding this... I'm still left with the 'channel B' shows that I have to go and manually delete out of the list now, right?

as close as possible, unless you setup a quick macro that autopauses live tv on a before it switches over. Ya know - the tivo dual buffer did not autopause anythingl :) Atleast on my old series 1

#110 OFFLINE   billt1111

billt1111

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:42 AM

I agree with 911. However on my Panny HD Plasma I do NOT want it to switch back and forth between 720p and 1080i native programming for two reasons. First it takes 3 to 5 seconds. This time lag is not just due to the HR20. If you are channel surfing that time lag is intolerable. Second, my Panny plasma always looks better with 1080i, even when the programming is native in 720p. You might want to carefully compare whether the time lag is worth the irritation on your particular setup.

#111 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:26 AM

I have my HR20 set to native=off, 1080i=letter box. When I tune to CNN it displays 4:3, when I tune to HDNet it displays in 16:9. I'm connected VIA component.

J C

#112 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:58 AM

You might want to carefully compare whether the time lag is worth the irritation on your particular setup.

Absolutely. And, Mixer, you can also pick which resolutions the HR20 will display when in Native or manual mode. For instance, I find no use whatsoever for 420p, so I have it "unchecked" in the HR20 menu, even though my TV supports it.

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

#113 OFFLINE   chicagojim

chicagojim

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:22 PM

I have my HR20 set to native=off, 1080i=letter box. When I tune to CNN it displays 4:3, when I tune to HDNet it displays in 16:9. I'm connected VIA component.

J C

So, setting native off and picking 1080i as the only supported resolution will allow for switching to 1080i, 720p or 480 based upon the capabilities of your TV, right? Not to be dense here, but the TV will automatically upscale the lower resolutions and take the 1080i signal direct without changing it, right?

I'm using a 1080P tv (Sony KDS60-A2000) and have been having a heck of a time getting this worked out since my replcement box showed up. (The good news is, my replacement box actually works! :grin: )

#114 OFFLINE   matto

matto

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

So, setting native off and picking 1080i as the only supported resolution will allow for switching to 1080i, 720p or 480 based upon the capabilities of your TV, right? Not to be dense here, but the TV will automatically upscale the lower resolutions and take the 1080i signal direct without changing it, right?

I'm using a 1080P tv (Sony KDS60-A2000) and have been having a heck of a time getting this worked out since my replcement box showed up. (The good news is, my replacement box actually works! :grin: )

no. setting native to off and picking only 1080i will cause the HR20 to upscale all content to 1080i before outputting it to the tv.

#115 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

No. Native mode off means it will upconvert all signals to the resolution you specify. So if you tell it that 1080i is your supported format it will send *everything* as 1080i. If it's 480i station then it will upconvert it to 1080i and send it to the TV in the 16x9 frame. You can switch between format modes (crop, stretch, letterbox) on the HR20 with the remote. Most HDTV's can't do much in the way of stretching and such with a 1080i signal.

If you leave Native mode on, it will autoswitch to the closest format you have told the HR20 your TV supports, say 480i and 1080i. Then HD programs will come across in 1080i and SD programs in 480i. When getting a 480i signal most HDTV's can then use it's own scaler and stretch formats which you can switch on your TV. Downside right now to native mode is the time it takes to change formats as it cycles around trying to find one that works.

The other option is to leave Native mode off. Tell the HR20 your TV supports 480i and 1080i (or whatever). If you leave it on 1080i it will do the same as the first paragraph above and upconvert everything. But if on an SD show you don't like what it's doing you can change the format using the remote to 480i and then let your TV do it's magic. This is actually what I do and is a decent workaround until Native format switching becomes a bit better.

#116 OFFLINE   ezahn

ezahn

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:17 PM

I just received my HR20 and have seen only a few of the minor bugs so far.

Couple of questions for you experts:
1) It seems that the bottom line of the Guide is cut off on the bottom of the screen. I'm in 1080i mode and tried the 480p with the same result. I don't see any screen adjustment on the 56" Mitsubishi HDTV. Note: I don't have HDMI intf.

2)Maybe I was misinformed, but I had heard that this box was suppose to support picture-in-picture like the old Ultimate TV box. Anyone have any news with regards to this. (i.e.: display 2 pics at the same time exclusive of the TV)

#117 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

Don't know about issue 1, but no, it does not have PIP.

It does support PIG (Picture In Guide,) but I'm sure you know that.

#118 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

I just received my HR20 and have seen only a few of the minor bugs so far.

Couple of questions for you experts:
1) It seems that the bottom line of the Guide is cut off on the bottom of the screen. I'm in 1080i mode and tried the 480p with the same result. I don't see any screen adjustment on the 56" Mitsubishi HDTV. Note: I don't have HDMI intf.

1) Your HDTV's overscan is probably set too much. Usually the only way to configure is going into the service menu. Record HDNet's screen test that usually runs Tuesday mornings and it will help you figure out if this is it.

#119 OFFLINE   ezahn

ezahn

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:36 PM

Scott - I assume the service menu you are referring to is not on the box but rather the TV... correct?

Additional item for the experts. This one really bothers me! On the HR10-250, both tuners were always capturing/recording what was on each one, thus you could go back/forth between the tuners and rewind to see what you missed while watching the other channel. A really good feature for when you're trying to watch 2 shows (ie: sporting events) at the same time. It appears that there is no way to do this with the HR20. PLEASE TELL ME I AM WRONG!

#120 OFFLINE   ezahn

ezahn

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

Scott - I just read your post #96 regarding Sunday Ticket NFL... This was why I asked the previous question on switching between tuners. Looks like you've figured it out, but even though I'm a propeller head w/eng. degree, it's not obvious.... Just got the box this afternoon. I understand the blue button for mini-guide, but not sure how that relates to flipping between tuners. Please help.
Thanks, Elliot

spam firewall