Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: Tips and Tricks for the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Twosted

Twosted

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

Scott - I just read your post #96 regarding Sunday Ticket NFL... This was why I asked the previous question on switching between tuners. Looks like you've figured it out, but even though I'm a propeller head w/eng. degree, it's not obvious.... Just got the box this afternoon. I understand the blue button for mini-guide, but not sure how that relates to flipping between tuners. Please help.
Thanks, Elliot

You are reffering to dual buffers which the HR20 doesn't have. They may add it in the future. There is no way to switch between tuners.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

Scott - I just read your post #96 regarding Sunday Ticket NFL... This was why I asked the previous question on switching between tuners. Looks like you've figured it out, but even though I'm a propeller head w/eng. degree, it's not obvious.... Just got the box this afternoon. I understand the blue button for mini-guide, but not sure how that relates to flipping between tuners. Please help.
Thanks, Elliot

RE: Overscan. Yes, this is a function of your TV, nothing to do with the HR20. Some TV's from the factory have terrible overscan. Everyone should get the Avia calibration DVD if they have an HDTV and it will help you to calibrate and identify such problems.

No, you cannot "swap" tuners on the HR20. There are no dual buffers at this time. While I know that's a popular feature for many that use Sunday Ticket I've only had a stand alone HD box the past 4 years and so got used to not having dual buffers during HD Sunday Ticket so I don't miss it at all. But it's on DirecTV's list of things to look at adding so there is always hope.

#123 OFFLINE   jdsolomon

jdsolomon

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hi,

One annoyance I've had is that the HR20 deems you to be at the "end" of a program you're watching if you "catch up" to the live portion, even if the recording and hence the playback is not at the actual end of the recording. The downside of it so doing is that when you return to that program and "play" it, the HR20 jumps to the very beginning, not where you finished watching previously.

To make this concrete, let's say you're recording a baseball game from 1pm to 4pm. At 1:30pm you begin watching it from the ToDo list and you catch up by 2:15pm, say, because you have DVR-induced a.d.d. like I do. :) Now you turn the HR20 off and go do something else, and come back at 3:30pm to watch the rest of the game. A TiVo or a UTV would "start" you at the 2:15pm point, where you had left off previously, but the HR20 thinks you've "finished" watching (cuz you did catch up to what, at the time, was the "end" of the recording at 2:15pm), and so restarts you at the very beginning.

This left me highly annoyed the first couple of times it happened, especially cuz I had not yet read this forum to find a way to quickly jump forward by "index marks" or whatever TiVo calls them and whatever the HR20 calls them. But I worked around it by jumping back to "a few seconds prior to Live", and then switching the HR20 off. Of course, this really isn't a big deal with the skip-by-tick-mark feature, but I think it's a bug to restart at the beginning in such a scenario. The two work-arounds are, as I mentioned, to leave off just prior to live, or to use the quick skips to get back to where you were. I suppose another workaround is to pause the thing and not turn it off. :)

Cheers,
JS

#124 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

Hi,

One annoyance I've had is that the HR20 deems you to be at the "end" of a program you're watching if you "catch up" to the live portion, even if the recording and hence the playback is not at the actual end of the recording. The downside of it so doing is that when you return to that program and "play" it, the HR20 jumps to the very beginning, not where you finished watching previously.

To make this concrete, let's say you're recording a baseball game from 1pm to 4pm. At 1:30pm you begin watching it from the ToDo list and you catch up by 2:15pm, say, because you have DVR-induced a.d.d. like I do. :) Now you turn the HR20 off and go do something else, and come back at 3:30pm to watch the rest of the game. A TiVo or a UTV would "start" you at the 2:15pm point, where you had left off previously, but the HR20 thinks you've "finished" watching (cuz you did catch up to what, at the time, was the "end" of the recording at 2:15pm), and so restarts you at the very beginning.

This left me highly annoyed the first couple of times it happened, especially cuz I had not yet read this forum to find a way to quickly jump forward by "index marks" or whatever TiVo calls them and whatever the HR20 calls them. But I worked around it by jumping back to "a few seconds prior to Live", and then switching the HR20 off. Of course, this really isn't a big deal with the skip-by-tick-mark feature, but I think it's a bug to restart at the beginning in such a scenario. The two work-arounds are, as I mentioned, to leave off just prior to live, or to use the quick skips to get back to where you were. I suppose another workaround is to pause the thing and not turn it off. :)

Cheers,
JS

Hit "Stop" when you are done watching. This will stop the playing of the recording and dump you back to MyVOD. Then the next time you come to it you will start from your stop spot. You could also hit pause if you were to come back a little later before the recording was completed. Note that when you go back to MyVOD that the game will probably be live up in the upper corner so don't look at the score!

Optional is to set up your own bookmark at the spot you want to come back to. The process is in the manual, I don't know it off the top of my head. I think it's pause-green. Anyway, then if you start the program from the beginning you can use the skip to tick to go to your bookmark and start from that spot.

#125 OFFLINE   jdsolomon

jdsolomon

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:07 PM

Hit "Stop" when you are done watching. This will stop the playing of the recording and dump you back to MyVOD. Then the next time you come to it you will start from your stop spot. You could also hit pause if you were to come back a little later before the recording was completed. Note that when you go back to MyVOD that the game will probably be live up in the upper corner so don't look at the score!

Thanks Scott, for the tip. But your last statement raises a question: is there anyway to prevent a picture-in-* window? Let's say you're recording two sporting events and want to start watching one or both before they're finished. You turn on the HR20, and, bam!, there's one of the games on your screen, even after you switch to MyVOD. A premature score-u-lation will most certainly result. After originally not liking it, I came to like the TiVo's lack of any "live" display unless you specifically selected it.

JS

#126 OFFLINE   Bad Rex

Bad Rex

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:19 PM

Hi,

The two work-arounds are, as I mentioned, to leave off just prior to live, or to use the quick skips to get back to where you were. I suppose another workaround is to pause the thing and not turn it off. :)

Cheers,
JS

I haven't used the feature myself but I think the HD20 lets you create a bookmark at any point in the recording. If it's implemented, I would guess you should be able to set a bookmark before you turn off the box, then when you turn it back on you should be able to jump directly to the bookmark. Does anyone know if this works?

#127 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Scott, for the tip. But your last statement raises a question: is there anyway to prevent a picture-in-* window? Let's say you're recording two sporting events and want to start watching one or both before they're finished. You turn on the HR20, and, bam!, there's one of the games on your screen, even after you switch to MyVOD. A premature score-u-lation will most certainly result. After originally not liking it, I came to like the TiVo's lack of any "live" display unless you specifically selected it.

JS

There is no way to disable the picture in guide feature. What I used to do with my Tivo if I knew it was recording a game and I might see or hear the score I'd hit the Tivo button first before turning the TV on so it would be at the menu when I started it up.

Tonight I'll be putting the HR20 through it's paces with a delayed behind about 45 minutes hockey game so I'll figure out the best way. Right now I'd say mute the sound, hit list to get to MyVOD and just don't look up at the picutre in guide. Select the game and start playing. Un mute sound. That should protect me from scores. :)

#128 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:49 AM

There is no way to disable the picture in guide feature. What I used to do with my Tivo if I knew it was recording a game and I might see or hear the score I'd hit the Tivo button first before turning the TV on so it would be at the menu when I started it up.

Tonight I'll be putting the HR20 through it's paces with a delayed behind about 45 minutes hockey game so I'll figure out the best way. Right now I'd say mute the sound, hit list to get to MyVOD and just don't look up at the picutre in guide. Select the game and start playing. Un mute sound. That should protect me from scores. :)

I think another option would be to hit pause.

#129 OFFLINE   mjsterz

mjsterz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:05 PM

First post, so please be gentle :) .

I've had my HR20 for a couple of weeks and I have been pretty happy with it overall. The UI took some getting used to after using TiVo for so long, but I think I'm getting used to it.

A couple of questions\problems:

1) I've had one black screen recording so far. It wouldn't FF, RW, or 30 second skip. Just a black screen and it would not respond. I finally had to delete the recording. From what I've read this is fairly common and hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.

2) When doing a search, does anyone know of a way to filter by the current Favorites list? My current Favorites list only has the HD locals. I've filtered out the SD locals. The problem is that when I go to do a search for a show, it lists both the show on the HD local and on the SD local. I have to play a guessing game as to which instance of the show to select (and, of course, I always seem to guess wrong on the first try :) ).

3) I've had some problems trying to manually re-record a repeat of a show that I have a Series Link for. For example, I recorded Friday Night Lights on Tuesday night via my Series Link (set to First Run Only). The recording was bad (see #1 above), but thankfully NBC was replaying the same episode on Wednesday night. So I went in through My VOD to view upcoming episodes, and tried to click Record, but it wouldn't do anything. As a workaround, I went through the guide, found the episode, and clicked the ® button and it recorded fine.

4) I've had a lot of audio drops and pixellation on my HD locals (Chicago area). It's especially bad on my local CBS station (channel 2). I assume it's the station or DTV and not the receiver/dish. Anybody else in the Chicago area having these same problems or is it in fact my receiver/dish? No problems on any other HD or SD channels.

5) My DTV remote seems super-sensitive. For example, when I go to do a search and I type in "G", it will show that I typed in "GG" (like I pressed it twice, which I did not). I also find myself skipping through screens because my remote thinks I'm pressing buttons multiple times. Is anyone else having this problem with the DTV universal remote? I figure either it's sensitive for everybody, it's just my remote, or it's just a matter of me getting used to a new remote.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide on any of the above!

Regards,
MJ

EDIT: My HR20 video is connected via component to my Marantz receiver, which is connected via component to my Panasonic plasma TV. The audio is connected from my HR20 to my receiver via optical, which is connected to my TV via optical.

#130 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

For #1... a fix is forthcoming
For #2... No, that can't be done right now.
For #3... Yes, that is also a known bug... and what you did is the work around
For #4... I have had very very few audio drop outs or pixellazation... what kind of signal strength are you seing
For #5... There are others that have had the problem... I haven't seen a work around, try changing the batteries... it is possible the OEM ones are dying and thus causing the remote to do odd things.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#131 OFFLINE   mjsterz

mjsterz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

For #1... a fix is forthcoming
For #2... No, that can't be done right now.
For #3... Yes, that is also a known bug... and what you did is the work around
For #4... I have had very very few audio drop outs or pixellazation... what kind of signal strength are you seing
For #5... There are others that have had the problem... I haven't seen a work around, try changing the batteries... it is possible the OEM ones are dying and thus causing the remote to do odd things.

Thanks, Earl, for the prompt reply.

RE #4: I have not checked, but I will. Any tips on how to do this? I know with my DTV TiVo units I could tune to a local channel, then go to test signal strength and it would automatically be on the transponder that carried my locals (#18). Does the HR20 have similar functionality? I guess what I'm asking is if there is a way to check the signal strength for just my HD locals? I'm sorry I'm at work right now so I can't take a look for myself.

RE #5: Typically when remote batteries have started to die on my in the past, I've seen the OPPOSITE happen (where you have to hold + press on a button for a long time for the remote to respond). I will definitely try the batteries, though.

Thanks again!

#132 OFFLINE   Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

I must be doing something wrong as both my tuners continue to play. HELP !!!

HR20 Dual Buffer (JUST ADDED!!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently, technically a dual buffer does not exist.
However, for all practical purposes something better exists.

Try this once! It works great!!!

1.) Tune to channel A (live buffer of 90 min)

2.) Use quick guide to record desired channel B (unlimited buffer)

3.) Start playback of channel B recording

4.) Press prev. button - will autopause and take you INSTANTLY back to live tv channel A

5.) Press prev. button again and you will go back to recording INSTANTLY (channel B will auto play from where you had left off)

You can toggle the prev. button to repeat the tuner switch endlessly.

Even better than dual buffer!

#133 OFFLINE   cvreeken

cvreeken

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:09 PM

Does anyone know how to delete a series link or change options when there are no upcoming programs scheduled? For example, I have "Smith" listed in the Prioritizer, but this show is now cancelled and I want to get rid of it. When I select it in the Prioritizer screen, it does nothing and there is no way to delete it that I can find.

Secondly, if the first airing of a show is not on the To Do list because of a conflict, the second airing does not seem to want to record unless I manually schedule it. Does the option need to be set to "Both" (first run and reruns) in order for this to happen? Shouldn't it automatically record the second airing? Again, the Prioritizer shows no upcoming programs scheduled, so I can't alter the options from the Prioritizer screen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#134 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:39 AM

Dash Dash deletes things from the prioritizer or MyVOD.

#135 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:55 AM

Dash Dash deletes things from the prioritizer or MyVOD.

Someone needs to start a sticky thread of nothing but remote keycodes that are not in the manual....I've made a short list, but keep learning more reading here.

I'm sure that this was the intend here, but things have gone awry.

If there was a sticky thread or single updated post (no other comments or posts other than keycodes), we could print out and learn/refererence (rather than piecemeal hunt them down). I found a few in other threads from here as well - it would be nice to have them in once place.

Everyone's tips are quite helpful! :)

#136 OFFLINE   vonzoog

vonzoog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:05 AM

Ditto

#137 OFFLINE   jmv1210

jmv1210

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

Need some help here:

I just had the H-20 installed today. From what I can tell there is no way to have your favorite sporting event and team recorded every time they place, unless you manually search and find it and tell Hr-20 to record this showing?

If there is an alternative can someone post that here?

It’s hard for me to believe that with Tivo you could do this by keyword search etc and essentially get a season pass to your favorite teams games, but Direct Tv “overlooked” this option 9if I am right).

Any Hr-20 Sport fans out there, that can shed some light on this topic for me?
Thanks,
Joe

#138 OFFLINE   brittu

brittu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:21 PM

Ok, so it seems to me like DTV figured out a way to make advertisers happy. 30 second skip is more like "Cliff Notes for Commericals". Yuk, I have to watch the commercials now while waiting for skip to get me where I want to go, back to my danged show. Any way to make skip go faster or otherwise help me to actually skip the commericals?

Thanks!
Britt

#139 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:46 AM

It’s hard for me to believe that with Tivo you could do this by keyword search etc and essentially get a season pass to your favorite teams games, but Direct Tv “overlooked” this option 9if I am right).

Any Hr-20 Sport fans out there, that can shed some light on this topic for me?
Thanks,
Joe

Tivo isn't any better, at least for me and many people. Few people can get it to record a sports team right, mainly because of multiple airings at various times and on various channels (some of which might be blacked out). I always used a Wishlist as a "canned search" and manually chose to record the games I wanted on the channels I wanted. Did this every week or so. I do the same now on the HR20 and it's actually much faster because of the one touch record. In less then a minute last night I setup pre-game and game recordings for the Red Wings over the next 2 weeks. I'll do that again in 2 weeks. No biggy.

#140 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:48 AM

Ok, so it seems to me like DTV figured out a way to make advertisers happy. 30 second skip is more like "Cliff Notes for Commericals". Yuk, I have to watch the commercials now while waiting for skip to get me where I want to go, back to my danged show. Any way to make skip go faster or otherwise help me to actually skip the commericals?

Thanks!
Britt

Fast forward triple time and hit replay a couple times when you want to start playing again.

spam firewall