Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: Tips and Tricks for the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   axiom

axiom

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

I do the same now on the HR20 and it's actually much faster because of the one touch record. In less then a minute last night I setup pre-game and game recordings for the Red Wings over the next 2 weeks. I'll do that again in 2 weeks. No biggy.

I do the same thing. Whenever I tried to do it automatically on the DirecTivo, I'd end up recording a blacked out channel, or the wrong telecast (opponents announcers). The only way it works is to do the search and then manually filter which things actually record, and then redo it every couple of weeks. So far, it looks like it will work the same way on the HR20. I set up an autorecord of "Dallas Stars", sports, hockey, first run, then will double check the list every week to make sure the correct channels are the ones that record.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Scribo-san

Scribo-san

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

Someone needs to start a sticky thread of nothing but remote keycodes that are not in the manual....I've made a short list, but keep learning more reading here.

I'm sure that this was the intend here, but things have gone awry.

<snip>

Everyone's tips are quite helpful! :)

I've just printed out this thread, and I'm willing to put together a cheat sheet. I believe there's a Private Message feature on this forum - if you know of remote tricks or HR20 under-documented fatures, PM them to me and I'll compile-em.

That list can be the starting point for a sticky "Keycodes only" thread ....

Scribo-san

#143 OFFLINE   Andrew_J_M

Andrew_J_M

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

If I set up an autorecord from search - for instance Person John Wayne, will it continue to record every program with John Wayne in it ad infinitum? If so, how do I stop it?

#144 OFFLINE   mikepatt

mikepatt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

Just got my HR20 over the weekend and was browsing the tips, and didn't see an answer to my first question:

Can you start a recording 1 minute early and finish it 1 minute late, or even later, to not miss anything?

Thanks!
Mike

#145 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

Just got my HR20 over the weekend and was browsing the tips, and didn't see an answer to my first question:

Can you start a recording 1 minute early and finish it 1 minute late, or even later, to not miss anything?

Thanks!
Mike

You can set the record option (manual option on the setup menu), so that you can get the start end times down to the minute if you'd like to do so.

#146 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

I've just printed out this thread, and I'm willing to put together a cheat sheet. I believe there's a Private Message feature on this forum - if you know of remote tricks or HR20 under-documented fatures, PM them to me and I'll compile-em.

That list can be the starting point for a sticky "Keycodes only" thread ....

Scribo-san

That would be awfully nice of you....

I've seen it where a sticky thread is created, a long list of such things listed in the first post, and that post is amended as new items are "exposed". That's a fair amount of work though, and someone needs to "own" the original post to make the updates. :)

Someone did this for the H20 receiver, and it was great to have the latest all in the first post. I had just suggested we consider the same concept for the H20 DVR.

#147 OFFLINE   mikepatt

mikepatt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

You can set the record option (manual option on the setup menu), so that you can get the start end times down to the minute if you'd like to do so.

That's too bad. I guess I am used to the Tivo version, which easily lets you add on additional time at the end. This is especially great for sporting events that always seem to run longer than their alloted time! Directv allows for the extra time on their Sunday Ticket, but the locals and ESPN, et al never do.

Also, I recorded Cold Case last night as my first show, and noticed it cut off a few seconds of the intro, so it is nice to start a minute early, just in case.

Thanks for the reply.
Mike

#148 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

That's too bad. I guess I am used to the Tivo version, which easily lets you add on additional time at the end. This is especially great for sporting events that always seem to run longer than their alloted time! Directv allows for the extra time on their Sunday Ticket, but the locals and ESPN, et al never do.

Also, I recorded Cold Case last night as my first show, and noticed it cut off a few seconds of the intro, so it is nice to start a minute early, just in case.

Thanks for the reply.
Mike

I do this all the time. You setup padding in a recording just like a Tivo. Like for hockey games I always add an hour. Things on Sci-Fi like BSG I add an extra 2 minutes at the end of the series link. You can also pre-pad a minute or two as well.

#149 OFFLINE   mikepatt

mikepatt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

I do this all the time. You setup padding in a recording just like a Tivo. Like for hockey games I always add an hour. Things on Sci-Fi like BSG I add an extra 2 minutes at the end of the series link. You can also pre-pad a minute or two as well.

Scott,

How do you do this? I see the series icon in the guide and it is listed in the to do list, but how do you pad at the end of the series link? - NEVERMIND, I figured it out.

Thanks!

#150 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

Scott,

How do you do this? I see the series icon in the guide and it is listed in the to do list, but how do you pad at the end of the series link? - NEVERMIND, I figured it out.

Thanks!

For those that want to know, you select your program in the prioritizer (for series link) or the To Do list and choose the record option. You'll then have options for padding. There will also be a tab for the series link if you wish to pad for the whole series and not just that particular episode.

#151 OFFLINE   ExUltimateTV

ExUltimateTV

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:47 AM

With Native on, it detects it automatically, but the trade-off is that currently there is a delay as it figures out which resolution to switch to.

I got my unit last week, and set it up to run in Native mode since I wanted the best picture possible. My TV is a Pioneer Elite Plasma, which purportedly has great video scaling. I'm running 0xD8, btw. I've found that doing the 30 sec slip and 6 sec replay thing sometimes made the HR20 forget which resolution it was outputting, forcing my TV to relock. Even worse, the HR20 would sometimes drop audio when resuming playing (which would come back if I paused again and then hit Play).

So, here's the tip: Switch to Native Off, 1080i mode. Now the HR20 will stay at 1080i even when fast forwarding or replaying. The audio hasn't dropped out on me yet in this mode. It does mean I'm scaling video up in the HR20 instead of the TV (which is actually now internally scaling down to 768p), and I can tell the difference on SD material (it is slight), but HD material looks the same or even better. Overall, it's worth the trade-off, IMO.

#152 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

<snip>

So, here's the tip: Switch to Native Off, 1080i mode. Now the HR20 will stay at 1080i even when fast forwarding or replaying. The audio hasn't dropped out on me yet in this mode. It does mean I'm scaling video up in the HR20 instead of the TV (which is actually now internally scaling down to 768p), and I can tell the difference on SD material (it is slight), but HD material looks the same or even better. Overall, it's worth the trade-off, IMO.

This is exactly what I do except I use 720p to match my TV. To be honest I don't notice much difference in PQ either, not enough anyway to endure the delay.

#153 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

Earl,
Could we put all of the tips and tricks scattered through these dozens of posts into one document? Maybe a DBSTalk User Tips Summary? I could convert it to a PDF for you. As moderator, you know which tips are good and some are not so good. Some posts are off-topic. Could we have a distilled down page?

Maybe it would be in sections like this:

DOCUMENTED D* TIPS AND TRICKS
(link)

SETUP SUGGESTIONS
Use composite out instead of HDMI as it seems to be more stable for many with little difference in picture quality.
etc...

IF YOU LOCKUP DURING PLAYBACK
Try hitting these keystrokes

etc.

#154 OFFLINE   cbearnm

cbearnm

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:02 AM

How about if Scribo-san sends his list to Earl, who then posts it into the first post in the thread. As more suggestions come in, the first post gets updated.

Or if Milominderbinder2 get the list and sends the PDF to Earl and he just keeps it in the first post as it is edited.

It's so easy to give other people homework, but you guys know how much it is appreciated. It's also pretty nice to get lists like that in one uniform manner, which can only happen with one writer. This way we get the discussions about the tips, but also have a nice distilled list to go by. I remember that someone mentioned something, but just can't seem to always find it.

#155 OFFLINE   compac

compac

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

How about marking a recorded program to "keep"
hit blue button while in My Vod prog recorded list...

High lite prog you want to keep (arrow up - down ) then press blue
K appears next to title blue again toggles off :)
July 2009 HD locals;dma 67, D* ...
HR20, HDMI connected DLP 62" MITSU

HR22-100, works well, TOSHIBA REGZA 32" 1080p HD LCDTV 32RV530U

vod, D*2PC, edgecutter, sometimes

#156 OFFLINE   Bofurley

Bofurley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 321 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

Earl, can you watch the HD channels we now receive on the new HR20 DVR since they aren't in the new format?
Thanks

#157 OFFLINE   cybrsurfer

cybrsurfer

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 614 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

Earl, can you watch the HD channels we now receive on the new HR20 DVR since they aren't in the new format?
Thanks

Yes you should have no problem with viewing and recording HD channels your subscribed to. You can watch HD MPEG2 and MPEG4.
2 HR20-700S (0xef) [Owned/Factory: MFG 8/29/2006&10/08/2006]
1 HR10-250 (6.3a-01-2-357) [Owned/Factory MFG 5/2006]
AT-9
I'm impartial to Dish/Echostar,DirecTV,Verizon FiOS or Cable. I have no bias as to giving information to members of the many forums on DBSTalk.

#158 OFFLINE   Bofurley

Bofurley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 321 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:51 AM

Thanks to all for the quick response on my question concerning MPEG2 and 4

#159 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:45 AM

Discovered a neat trick with the HR20 last night. If I need to take a break from watching a recorded program, I will press the stop button, then press the Exit button to get the full screen video. To resume playing the recorded program, all I had to do was press the Prev button! :)

#160 OFFLINE   jlancaster

jlancaster

Icon

• Registered
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:29 AM

Discovered a neat trick with the HR20 last night. If I need to take a break from watching a recorded program, I will press the stop button, then press the Exit button to get the full screen video. To resume playing the recorded program, all I had to do was press the Prev button! :)

I like this one. Thanks.

spam firewall