Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: Tips and Tricks for the HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   ManOfChill

ManOfChill

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:25 PM

Has anyone successfully set up a recurring manual recording for M-F only?

I'm trying to setup a recurring Mon-Fri recording but the HR20 will only record for the current week. There is nothing in the ToDo List after Friday. I've deleted are recreated this several times without success. I can't use Series Link because this show repeats a thousand times and the DVR can't seem to figure out what a First Run is.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

Has anyone successfully set up a recurring manual recording for M-F only?

I'm trying to setup a recurring Mon-Fri recording but the HR20 will only record for the current week. There is nothing in the ToDo List after Friday. I've deleted are recreated this several times without success. I can't use Series Link because this show repeats a thousand times and the DVR can't seem to figure out what a First Run is.

I feel your pain. I have been trying to record the O'Reilley Factor daily at 5 PM PDT and do not want the reruns at 8:00 PM and 1:00 AM so I tried to set up a manual record for the 5 to 6 PM broadcast. Initially the To Do list looks good and then after a day or so the event is corrupted and has to be deleted.

I have been trying to set up M-F manual recurring events ever since acquiring the HR20 two weeks ago. It does not work consistently and after a few days the future events all end up in the cancellation list. I have to remove it from the Prioritizer manually. The double dash delete will not work.

I try this each time we get a new software release and it is one of the items that has not yet been fixed. The other item I have found that rarely works consistently is using the extender on sporting events. Most of the time, the game is cut off early despite padding with an extender.

About the only thing that does work consistently well is series recording a program within the program grid.

Dave

#163 OFFLINE   scottjf8

scottjf8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:44 PM

New user here...

How do you setup a Season Link, even if there is a conflict on the first episode?

Example : I want to set a SL for The TOnight Show w/ Jay Leno. I tried to double-record on tonight's showing, but I have 2 things scheduled to record. On my Tivo, it would just tell me it won't record tonight because of a conflict, but will record on Monday, Tuesday, etc.. The HR20 doesn't seem to want me to do that..

#164 OFFLINE   giden

giden

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:34 AM

Is there any way to force an update? With the HR10 (TIVO) I could go to "PHONE" and force a call. How do you do that with the HR20? Is it even possible??
:icon_peac

HR20-700
Vizio 42 Plasma
Harmon Kardon AVR 230
Magnavox MRV 640 DVD
RC32 RF
HDMI ; 1080i
5-Lnb; MPEG4 Locals

#165 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:40 AM

New user here...

How do you setup a Season Link, even if there is a conflict on the first episode?

Example : I want to set a SL for The TOnight Show w/ Jay Leno. I tried to double-record on tonight's showing, but I have 2 things scheduled to record. On my Tivo, it would just tell me it won't record tonight because of a conflict, but will record on Monday, Tuesday, etc.. The HR20 doesn't seem to want me to do that..

Hi Scott,

The conflict screen you are seeing is just for that episode, not for the SL as a whole. If you want to not record the first one, just choose "Cancel Request" which will take you back to the SL set up screen. There, just choose done. (if you choose record as set again, you will get the same screen, if you choose cancel, you will cancel the SL.)

Now, on the episode you chose, you will see a different icon. Instead of the circle with and R in it, you'll see and x'd out circle with an asterisk by it indicating that it won't record. Other episodes will be added to the to do list (eventually) and your SL will be fine.

I like the conflict resolution on this machine, but the process you've encountered is counter intuitive and leaves the user wondering what happened. That's compounded by the fact that the to do list doesn't immediately populate with the rest of the episodes.

Good luck and Welcome to the HR20olution! :D

#166 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

Is there any way to force an update? With the HR10 (TIVO) I could go to "PHONE" and force a call. How do you do that with the HR20? Is it even possible??

No reason to, it's all automatic via the sat, phone line not required for this box other then PPV.

There is a code you can type in on a reboot to force it to check for a new software update if available but if you already have the update all you're doing is rebooting for no reason.

#167 OFFLINE   compac

compac

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:38 AM

I too get the "short" black screen when the jump back is tried, but only about 1/2 the time... no pattern but the hr20 seems to be retrying to format as the lights jump around from 1080 to a lower setting and back.??

Similar to your #3 my todo list changed by itself changing a HD nfl Eagles game to the replay time @ 6pm instead of the 1pm I set from the guide. Wanted to watch it near live time but have it for later viewing (sorry *** game they deserved the loss) rant off.

Remote seems super-sensitive and at the same time un sensitive other times too w/ us. takes and misses too many button presses. Batteries are good. and we know how to point it...

What sould we all do??? Retern for a new one C.

First post, so please be gentle :) .

A couple of questions\problems:

1) I've had one black screen recording so far. It wouldn't FF, RW, or 30 second skip. Just a black screen and it would not respond. I finally had to delete the recording. From what I've read this is fairly common and hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.

3) I've had some problems trying to manually re-record a repeat of a show that I have a Series Link for. For example, I recorded Friday Night Lights on Tuesday night via my Series Link (set to First Run Only). The recording was bad (see #1 above), but thankfully NBC was replaying the same episode on Wednesday night. So I went in through My VOD to view upcoming episodes, and tried to click Record, but it wouldn't do

4) I've had a lot of audio drops and pixellation on my HD locals (Chicago area). It's especially bad on my local CBS station (channel 2). I assume it's the station or DTV and not the receiver/dish. Anybody else in the Chicago area having these same problems or is it in fact my receiver/dish? No problems on any other HD or SD channels.

5) My DTV remote seems super-sensitive. Is anyone else having this problem with the DTV universal remote? I figure either it's sensitive for everybody, it's just my remote, or it's just a matter of me getting used to a new remote.

July 2009 HD locals;dma 67, D* ...
HR20, HDMI connected DLP 62" MITSU

HR22-100, works well, TOSHIBA REGZA 32" 1080p HD LCDTV 32RV530U

vod, D*2PC, edgecutter, sometimes

#168 OFFLINE   boomer

boomer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:38 AM

Just got my HR20 on Saturday...went through and set up
season passes, but cannot get the default options to be
"First Run Only".....

Anyone know how to set that?

#169 OFFLINE   bluesjam

bluesjam

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:58 AM

It's under Series Link, not sure there's an easy way to get there, you select the show in your to do list and then slecet Record, you'll see the tab there.

#170 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:00 AM

Just got my HR20 on Saturday...went through and set up
season passes, but cannot get the default options to be
"First Run Only".....

Anyone know how to set that?

When you're on the Series Link screen, press the menu button. There will be an option there to change the defaults for the SL.

#171 OFFLINE   WANDERER

WANDERER

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

HEY GUYS - anyone know how to trick the HR20 into reformatting?

#172 OFFLINE   giden

giden

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:32 AM

I keep reading that some have two recievers set up. How do I do this? Doesn't it require additional cable runs from the dish to the second reciever? I'm using the HR20 (with some minor problems) but I also still have the HR10. I'd like to be able to use it WITH the HR20 as others have evidently been able to do. Plus, I would then be able to use PIP?? Thanks for your help.

HR20-700
Vizio 42 Plasma
Harmon Kardon AVR 230
Magnavox MRV 640 DVD
RC32 RF
HDMI ; 1080i
5-Lnb; MPEG4 Locals

#173 OFFLINE   Andrew_J_M

Andrew_J_M

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:08 AM

I keep reading that some have two recievers set up. How do I do this? Doesn't it require additional cable runs from the dish to the second reciever? I'm using the HR20 (with some minor problems) but I also still have the HR10. I'd like to be able to use it WITH the HR20 as others have evidently been able to do. Plus, I would then be able to use PIP?? Thanks for your help.

Yes, you will need to run two extra coax cables from the dish or multiswitch if you have one. If you are using an AV receiver for surrond sound and as an input switch you will need to add the HR10 to an unused source on that, otherwise you will have to add it to a seperate input on the TV.

#174 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

You simply need a cable for every tuner. If you only have 4 tuners then you run 4 lines from the dish to your receivers. If you need more then 4 then you run 4 lines to the switch and then up to 8 lines from the switch to all your receivers.

I have 3 receivers on my HDTV. The HR20, a SD DirecTivo, and an old HD receiver (for OTA). So I have 5 cables to that area (not including OTA runs). All 3 receivers are piped into my Yamaha A/V receiver as well as DVD player and VCR.

#175 OFFLINE   giden

giden

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for all the quick responses. I'm not sure how to add lines from the dish to the recievers. There is a multi-switch on the side of the house (lines from the dish to it, then in to the house and the various recievers), but it is "full", no way to add additional lines from it. Am I doomed? or can I upgrade to a different mulit-switch? If there is a way to add some sort of "box" inside the house, that will accept additional lines, that would be the way to go for me. Thoughts? Thanks again!!

Oh, what about the "card" needed for the additional reciever? I'm pretty sure the installer left it in the reciever, but will *D activate it for me? Probably requires additional monthly charge???

HR20-700
Vizio 42 Plasma
Harmon Kardon AVR 230
Magnavox MRV 640 DVD
RC32 RF
HDMI ; 1080i
5-Lnb; MPEG4 Locals

#176 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

Is there an equivalent of "Slow" from the HR10 on the HR20?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#177 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

Is there an equivalent of "Slow" from the HR10 on the HR20?

Hold down play.
- Matt

#178 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Matt.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#179 OFFLINE   Dyno Don

Dyno Don

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

First post!!!

Great info here folks, thanks. I accepted three HR20s from D*, replacing 2 250's (which I kept). Other than Mpeg4 probs, I love 'em.

My question. With TiVo, you finish a show and delete it, it returns you to the menu exactly where you left off. So you can watch the next show without searching for it. On the HR you go back to the top. Is there a setting for this? Anyone else thinks this is a pain? My wife whines daily. (isn't it always the better half?)

Thanks
Don

#180 OFFLINE   Andrew_J_M

Andrew_J_M

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

First post!!!

Great info here folks, thanks. I accepted three HR20s from D*, replacing 2 250's (which I kept). Other than Mpeg4 probs, I love 'em.

My question. With TiVo, you finish a show and delete it, it returns you to the menu exactly where you left off. So you can watch the next show without searching for it. On the HR you go back to the top. Is there a setting for this? Anyone else thinks this is a pain? My wife whines daily. (isn't it always the better half?)

Thanks
Don

I dislike this too, also when watching a recording hitting stop takes back to the MY Vod list but unlike the Tivo the show selected is not the one I was watching. So I have to navigate to the correct show before double-dashing it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...