Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Swap question????

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scorch

Scorch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

OK this might have already been asked, but I couldn't really find it anywhere......

I'm having a hr20-700 installed on the 21st and retention said it was a swap for my current 250. I told them I wouldn't allow them to take it because I bought it outright for 1,000 bucks 2 years ago. Was told they have to do it as a swap and I could try and talk the installer out of taking it.

My question is can they just take something I rightfully own?

I plan on removing my 250 from my house the day of the install to make sure they can't take it, but does that mean they won't do my upgrade?

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question here.............

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

OK this might have already been asked, but I couldn't really find it anywhere......

I'm having a hr20-700 installed on the 21st and retention said it was a swap for my current 250. I told them I wouldn't allow them to take it because I bought it outright for 1,000 bucks 2 years ago. Was told they have to do it as a swap and I could try and talk the installer out of taking it.

My question is can they just take something I rightfully own?

I plan on removing my 250 from my house the day of the install to make sure they can't take it, but does that mean they won't do my upgrade?

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question here.............

My 250 is a lease and they told me as long as I keep it active on another TV I could keep it. So I'm going to deactivate a non-HD Tivo and put the 250 on a SD TV just to keep it.

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

I had my HR20 installed today. It was supposed to replace my leased HR10-250 but that unit is still here, installers didn't take it, and still active.

I might just move it to my other TV.

#4 OFFLINE   tbranan

tbranan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

I had already purchased my HR20 from BB when I called retention to get some deals. When the guy tried to add the 5 lnb to my acct for install, he had to add another HR20 as a swap out to get the install for a free 5 lnb. He told me they may try to take out my current sony HD 300 for the HR20. Sorry, pal, but on install day I am going in my attic and getting that POS RCA I bought at Walmart 8 years ago and that HD300 is going in my bedroom!
Look at all the HD goodness!

#5 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

My 250 is a lease and they told me as long as I keep it active on another TV I could keep it. So I'm going to deactivate a non-HD Tivo and put the 250 on a SD TV just to keep it.

I think that is what I will do
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

#6 OFFLINE   tpreed

tpreed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:03 AM

Asked for and received a free HD DVR with 5 LNB Dish and Standard Professional Install but this item puzzles me on the Order Detail..."Swap ReplaceImplied DVR IRD"

Customer Service gal who did the order asked me if I wanted to move my old DSR6000 Directivo to another room out of the bedroom. It might have confused her when I said I was just going to keep it in the bedroom and ADD the new HD DVR to the bedroom too.

So anyone know what I need to do so as to keep the my old units and not have the installer try to take them...again all three will be active on my account.

Also that brings up another question...will the installer add a FREE Multiswitch to my order when he comes out. My existing ms is on the back of my current dish and it has feeds going out to both my old Directivos, but now with a third I will need at least six and preferably 8 outs on a multiswitch.

#7 OFFLINE   nhlfan79

nhlfan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:58 AM

Asked for and received a free HD DVR with 5 LNB Dish and Standard Professional Install but this item puzzles me on the Order Detail..."Swap ReplaceImplied DVR IRD".

I called this morning about that same notation on the work order because I'm in the exact same boat. The retention CSR I spoke with said that that simply indicates to the installer that no additional lines need to be run to the room where my *owned* HR10 is being moved to (my bedroom, where I already have an SD D*TiVo, which is being retired). At least that's what she said, and she promised there will be no confusion about it when the installer comes.

Well, despite her assurances, I can guarantee you that the HR10 will not leave my house with the installer that day. In fact, I may go ahead and move it to the new room before he even gets there.

#8 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:24 AM

Just called and said that the I see the new HR20 is now showing available on the directv site, I told him I was offered a free upgrade, he said okay we can order it now. He finally said I have to have $99 and then we will credit your acct $99.
I told him that I have 2 HDtivos and he said they are only allowed to upgrade 1 at the time in a 6 month period.

Has anyone else had to pay $99 then get credited $99 back to the acct. and only able to upgrade 1 at the time?

I also asked about the OTA tuners he said they will be activated later this year with a software update.

#9 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:03 AM

Well called back and told them that the Retention rep that gave me the offer said I would not have to pay anything, not even any kinda of charge that directv would credit me back. He put me on hold for over 10 minutes came back and said we can order it for you at no charge but our system will not allow but 1, you have to wait 6 months.

Well start the order and he says I cant get around the $99 and then having to credit you.

#10 OFFLINE   jmsbna

jmsbna

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

I had the same thing yesterday. I called the A list number, was told $299 to get the HR-20. I told the CSR that when I paid $800 dollars 18 months ago for my HR-10 I was told I would be upgraded for S&h charge. She transferred me somewhere else and I got $99 dollars. I said the same thing and added the only reason I wanted the HR-20 was to get my locals on Mpeg4 because OTA was not good. He said hold on, was gone forever and came back and said they would charge $99 to my credit card and then credit my D account for $99. I said ok.
My work order says swap DVR, but like yall I am just going to move it to another TV. I have too much saved on the Hard Drive to just let it go.

#11 OFFLINE   Scorch

Scorch

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:31 AM

Sounds like other's have plans like me,

Gonna put a old broken Tivo in it's place come install day and let them take that one - LOL

#12 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:51 PM

In reading all these forums, I do not recall anyone actually giving their old box to the installer. Most installers don't want it. If yours is leased, and you don't move it to another room and keep it activated, D* will send you a box to ship it back in.

If you move your old HR10 to another room or keep it as 2nd box in said room, you will be able to keep it.

They just call it a "swap" for name only. They would rather you keep the old box and keep charging yet another $4.99/mo for you to have 1 more box in your house.
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

#13 OFFLINE   tekie99

tekie99

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:28 AM

Just called and said that the I see the new HR20 is now showing available on the directv site, I told him I was offered a free upgrade, he said okay we can order it now. He finally said I have to have $99 and then we will credit your acct $99.
I told him that I have 2 HDtivos and he said they are only allowed to upgrade 1 at the time in a 6 month period.

Has anyone else had to pay $99 then get credited $99 back to the acct. and only able to upgrade 1 at the time?

I also asked about the OTA tuners he said they will be activated later this year with a software update.

I had to HR10-250's that I own, purchased 7 months ago.. the csr that sold them to me told me then that they would be offering hd locals in april in my market and a dish upgrade owul dbe required, I asked him then if the 250's would be compatible with the new dish and he said yes... I called retention a month ago complaining about what the csr had said, they said they were sorry and could offer me 2 hr20's and dish when they were available. I ordered the upgrades on 9/13 and they said in order to get the order out, they would need to charge me $99 for each receiver but would credit the amount back to my account.. checked my account today and I have a credit for 23?.?? something bucks.. but I did get both receivers upgraded

#14 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

You have to remember that the HR10-250 is just about worthless to anyone but you. The chances of an installer insisting on taking it are slim. However, I would have some old equipment around as suggested and give them that.

I know that I (IF I ever get a CSR to let me have an HR20!) am NOT going to part with what is, at worst, a 200 hour TiVo DVR! I have two HDTVs anyway, so the HR10 will be living in the bedroom. If they really want something to take away, they can have the R15 that's in my office or the old Hughes 40 hour that's currently in the closet.
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

spam firewall