Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

When will they give us SCANDISK and DEFRAGMENTER upgrades?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jack White

Jack White

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:55 PM

I just got this new 625 for my bedroom. The picture quality is actually a little bit worse than my old 3900 even though I used the same S-video cable.
The difference isn't huge, but it's big enough that DVD's BURNED at XP speed from a Dish 3900 via S-video look better than video stored on the 625's hard drive even though there's no additional encoding there.
The Guide really shows the picture quality difference the most.
The guide on the 3900 was RAZOR SHARP, but on the 625 looks sort of dusty and slightly blurrier. I guess that they don't make em like they used to.
Anyway, back to the original question, when will they give us CHECKDISK/SCANDISK and DEFRAGMENTER upgrades?
All those excuses about not needing a defragmenter because of huge files is a lie.
I use Final Cut Pro with GIANT files a lot of times and even if every file on the computer is over 1 GIG, the defragmenter still makes a HUGE difference in hard drive performance and noise reduction.
I think the best thing about a Defragmenter will be the NOISE reduction it will have for DVR users.

The best thing about the 625 is Dolby Digital and PCM capabilty.
I wish they had DTS ES 6.1 Discrete on movies that have it, but beggers can't be choosers I guess.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:51 AM

I just got this new 625 for my bedroom. The picture quality is actually a little bit worse than my old 3900 even though I used the same S-video cable.
The difference isn't huge, but it's big enough that DVD's BURNED at XP speed from a Dish 3900 via S-video look better than video stored on the 625's hard drive even though there's no additional encoding there.
The Guide really shows the picture quality difference the most.
The guide on the 3900 was RAZOR SHARP, but on the 625 looks sort of dusty and slightly blurrier. I guess that they don't make em like they used to.
Anyway, back to the original question, when will they give us CHECKDISK/SCANDISK and DEFRAGMENTER upgrades?
All those excuses about not needing a defragmenter because of huge files is a lie.
I use Final Cut Pro with GIANT files a lot of times and even if every file on the computer is over 1 GIG, the defragmenter still makes a HUGE difference in hard drive performance and noise reduction.
I think the best thing about a Defragmenter will be the NOISE reduction it will have for DVR users.

The best thing about the 625 is Dolby Digital and PCM capabilty.
I wish they had DTS ES 6.1 Discrete on movies that have it, but beggers can't be choosers I guess.

This is a Linux (Unix) system. Scandisk doesn't apply, but it does do a FSCK every day.

Based on how the disk is used it really is questionable how much defragmenting will help. A simple defrag? delete all your old recorded programs.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

spam firewall