Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Live in Columbus, install in Vero Beach, FL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bret3d

bret3d

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:51 AM

I don't have DirecTV but my father-in-law does. As an early Christmas gift we are giving him the HR20-700 plus a year of HD service. I bought one last week at Best Buy and sent it to him where he received it yesterday and has an install set up for the 21st. I have asked them to set up an OTA antenna as they only receive 2 channels for locals in Vero Beach. But, of course, the OTA doesn't work yet on the HR20, I'm hoping the installer can deal with that as I'm pretty sure my father-in-law doesn't have an ATSC tuner in the house. My end goal is to get waivers for the channels they don't get but I'm not sure how many that is.

So my question for all you smart and helpful people. Is there anything else I should do to tell the installer and/or DirecTV before the installer is actually there? My father-in-law, while a pretty smart fellow about most things, won't know to ask the right questions so I want to do as much as possible remotely.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Bret

P.S. Thanks for the BestBuy get some money back tip. I'm off for my $100 at lunch.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

There are now 3 channels available via the satellite in this area now and CBS isn't too far off I would think.

You won't be able to get waivers for this area, I tried and was denied.

Hopefully D* will enable OTA on the HR20 in October as has been rumored. With my OTA I can get the WPB and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale locals on my HR10-250 and hope to still do the same on the HR20 once they are activated.

#3 OFFLINE   bret3d

bret3d

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

Thanks, RunnerFL.

Was the antenna installed by you or did the installer do it? What are the obligations of an installer to get the antenna to work? Can I insist on anything?

I take it it's FOX, NBC, and ABC on the HD list. PBS HD and CW HD in addition to CBS are not?

Thanks.

-Bret

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:27 PM

Thanks, RunnerFL.

Was the antenna installed by you or did the installer do it? What are the obligations of an installer to get the antenna to work? Can I insist on anything?

I take it it's FOX, NBC, and ABC on the HD list. PBS HD and CW HD in addition to CBS are not?

Thanks.

-Bret

Correct, we get FOX, NBC and ABC via satellite right now. CBS is coming on soon but I have not heard any plans for PBS or CW in HD via satellite.

As far as the antenna I installed it myself. It's probably going to cost you extra to have them install it since you can technically get the locals via satellite.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...