Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Timer Limit on 622?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RobR7

RobR7

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:18 PM

I ran into an error about hitting some sort of limit with the number of timers set on my 622. The number of timers I had listed were 21... I find it hard to believe there is a hard limit for only 21 timers. I never ran into this on my HD Tivo. Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:48 PM

The limit doesn't come into play with the number of timers defined, but with the number of events created by those timers. All events are counted, including duplicates, so I could potentially see hitting the limit if you set all 21 timers up to be all episode timers for shows that repeat a lot, or if you set up a lot of not very specific dish passes.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   RobR7

RobR7

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:01 AM

Pretty sure it's the kid shows... we're building up a large library on tap. As not to drive ourselves nuts with the same episodes over and over again. :sure: I'll go ahead and trim from DishPass to specific DVR time/dates. Bummer though, I still wonder what the technical limit is :confused: and why is it even there.

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:38 AM

If memory serves me..

It is in the mid to upper mid to upper 96 for timers and in the 200's for timer events. One think you can do is don't you Dish Pass for your kid shows and also keep only last X shows. I do the same thng but only keep the last 3 recorded show for each timer. Don't think that will help with the timer events but it will keep the drive maintenance easier.

Here is a thread on the topic that will provide more info.
http://www.dbstalk.c...t=Timer Maximum
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

Maximum of 96 timers finding a maximum of 288 possible events, whichever comes first.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   MarcusInMD

MarcusInMD

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

I just hit my limit today too and I only had 33 timers setup. This bites.

#7 OFFLINE   RobR7

RobR7

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

So 288 is the magic number to avoid. I still don't get why technically but at least I know what to work against.

So here's my follow-up question... and its a newbie question...

To get the number down, do I...

Set up a Pass and limit it to a channel

or

Set up a DVR Timer to only record new.

If I can some how get one of these to do both requirements, I'll be happy... otherwise I don't see how.

#8 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

Ignoring a case like doing a Pass for CSI on channel X (which also finds CSI NY and a "New" DVR event for CSI on channel X (name is EXACT match there), they would both have the same number of events. It doesn't matter that you pick New instead of All episodes though. It is still the same number of events - the number of matches in the EPG. Those matches may say "not a new episode" or "duplicate event", but the same number of the 288 are used up. When you setup a Pass or Timer, you can see the number of events my scrolling through its list of matches.

#9 OFFLINE   RobR7

RobR7

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:19 PM

I can lock a DVR event to a channel also?

#10 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:39 AM

Actually, you cannot NOT lock a DVR timer to a channel. A DVR timer will record a show with the exact same name you have selected on the channel you have selected. Only a DishPASS will match across multiple channels (unless restricted to a specific channel).

#11 OFFLINE   RobR7

RobR7

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

Well, I must've agitated the 622 or something cause I cleaned out some recordings and redid some timers... now a bunch of shows give me an error 7 when I try to play them. Oh boy I'm I really starting to miss my TiVo. Can we start a petition just to ask E* to pay off Tivo and get it over with? ;)

#12 OFFLINE   Montyward

Montyward

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:54 AM

After seeing the limit was 288, I went into my to do list and noticed 166 events. In looking through those events, there were several shows that were not scheduled to record because it was labeled "Incorrect Event." One was something about Gene Simmons on A&E. I have never set anything up on A&E or particularly Gene Simmons. I'm wondering why this would populate the to do list, even though it says it will skip. I've noticed a few other shows that seem to be in the list that are net setup as Timers of DishPasses. Any thoughts?

Monty

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:08 PM

Monty - sounds like you need to change your UHF remote address. Your 622 may be recording things your neighbor is defining.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#14 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

Does it include repeats f shows that it doesn't record in the 288?

I keep hitting the limit and I think my wife's Good Eats shows on FOOD are the culprit... Tons of repeats are clogging up my schedule, ditto for the kiddies and some of their cartoons which repeat through the day...
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:15 PM

Yes the repeats count towards the 288 maximum.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#16 OFFLINE   Montyward

Montyward

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

Monty - sounds like you need to change your UHF remote address. Your 622 may be recording things your neighbor is defining.

It has yet to record anything I haven't asked it to, but it shows them in the to do list or guide with the "won't record" symbol through it. I'm just worried about these being in the list should I ever get to the timer/event limits. So far it hasn't been a problem.

#17 OFFLINE   grooves12

grooves12

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

Everybody is talking about workarounds etc. like this is an acceptable course of action. This is a HUGE finctionality limitation and should be priority #1 for the Dish DVR software group.

Where do we e-mail/contact them where we KNOW they are hearing our complaints??

#18 OFFLINE   grooves12

grooves12

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:13 AM

email just sent to ceo@echostar.com regarding this issue, and I recommend anyone else experiencing the problem do the same. The only way it will get fixed is if they hear our complaints, and LOUDLY.

#19 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:24 AM

grooves... Yes it is a functionality limitation, but I disagree it is HUGE and the reason is that based on all the posts I read a majority of people are not running into this one. Yes I would like them to increase the limits and hopefully that is an easy thing to do but the fact based on posts here that this limitation is not one that the majority of users are running into. At least that is the impression I get from the posts here.

Yes I would love to see it increased but I would not consider this Priority #1 based on the posts here.

#20 OFFLINE   grooves12

grooves12

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:29 AM

grooves... Yes it is a functionality limitation, but I disagree it is HUGE and the reason is that based on all the posts I read a majority of people are not running into this one. Yes I would like them to increase the limits and hopefully that is an easy thing to do but the fact based on posts here that this limitation is not one that the majority of users are running into. At least that is the impression I get from the posts here.

Yes I would love to see it increased but I would not consider this Priority #1 based on the posts here.

I wouldn't have a problem with it, if it didn't COMPLETLY lock you out from making any more timers after a certain point. I think anything that makes a user change their actions or worsego in and delete certain things from recording is a HUGE limitation. People that are not experiencing the problem likely aren't recording cable shows that have several repeats. (Daily Show, Colbert Report, South Park, any sports talk show, etc.) Forcing these to Daily records is a workaround, but then you end up having worse types of conflicts, and miss recording you would otherwise get.

To me it is a shortsighted limitation, and something I never experienced with a Tivo box. It should be fixed right away. I only have 27 timers set up... yet at this point I have to delete things from recording if I want to record ANYTHING further. That is a rediculous limitation to me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...