Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D* canceled on me in Baltimore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:21 AM

Had a HR 20-700 and 5 lnb dish scheduled to be installed yesterday between 1 and 5 in Baltimore. We stayed home. At 4:30, the installer called and said he was way behind and could not be there until after 8:30. I pointed out that it would be dark after 8:30 and this was a roof install. He said he obviously couldn't do a roof install after dark.

Called customer retention. No openings for almost a month. They called the installer's office and they filled out a form to put me on a cancelation list so that if someone cancels, we get placed in that slot. The office guy says that the install was canceled "because the installer was running late and we could not wait for him." I said "no, we will be here, but the installer does not want to fall off our roof because it will be dark! You guys canceled on me."

Both the installer and his office claim that D* is giving them far more jobs per day than they can handle as these installs take a long time. Neither my wife or I were happy about wasting our day.

Scott

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shortstop11_jeff

shortstop11_jeff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

Had a HR 20-700 and 5 lnb dish scheduled to be installed yesterday between 1 and 5 in Baltimore. We stayed home. At 4:30, the installer called and said he was way behind and could not be there until after 8:30. I pointed out that it would be dark after 8:30 and this was a roof install. He said he obviously couldn't do a roof install after dark.

Called customer retention. No openings for almost a month. They called the installer's office and they filled out a form to put me on a cancelation list so that if someone cancels, we get placed in that slot. The office guy says that the install was canceled "because the installer was running late and we could not wait for him." I said "no, we will be here, but the installer does not want to fall off our roof because it will be dark! You guys canceled on me."

Both the installer and his office claim that D* is giving them far more jobs per day than they can handle as these installs take a long time. Neither my wife or I were happy about wasting our day.

Scott

I am in frederick, just ordered from Bestbuy.com. When I get the confirmation of shipment, I am going to set up an install through D*. It wi posts like yours that have me shaking. When they installed my 3lnb dish, they forgot the multiswitch, even after I made sure the CSR noted I needed one. This time I will need the new Zinwell switch, plus the new Dish. Needless to say, I am worried......

#3 OFFLINE   ckg1999

ckg1999

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

If this makes you feel any better, I am in McLean, and had an install scheduled for today (1-5). In the past, due to work, I had DirecTV tell the installers to make my appt. the last of the day, which has worked perfect. I did the same on this one.

Sure enough, at 1:45p, the installer calls and says "Where are you?" I told him I was still at work and that I spoke to DirecTV about making mine the last in the day. He said that he was to install it now. I asked if he could leave it at the office or something or have the appt manager over see it. He said no, and then hung up on me.

What am I to do? I called D* back on Sept 2 to schedule this and will NOT wait anymore for this crap to get figured out.

They also brought out a 3 LNB twice, before getting it right a few months back.

#4 OFFLINE   shortstop11_jeff

shortstop11_jeff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:10 PM

Doesnt make me feel better, just worry more :(

#5 OFFLINE   SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Icon

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

Reading this makes me feel really comfortable. :nono::nono2: They're coming to install my HR20 and 5LNB dish on 9/29 (so they say). I'm in Glen Burnie, MD. :confused:

Signal: AU9 Slimline Dish/SWM-8/OTA

Receivers: HR22NC-100 w/AM-21 [CE:0x03A1] / HR20-700 [CE:0x03A8] / HR22-100 [CE:0x03A1]

See my full setup here.

#6 OFFLINE   shaybug

shaybug

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:34 PM

It will be ok, I promise. Remeber that it's football season right now, so I am sure they are booked. There may be some bad expieriences people have and we share those more. But there have been also very good installtions as well. So good luck!

#7 OFFLINE   Rebelde

Rebelde

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:10 AM

just got done ordering a replacement hr20 for the second time, these things drive me crazy... they're sending me one FedEx in 2days, but for all the trouble I've been getting with these units i got them to give me nfl super-fan, $120 credit in the next year, and an additional hr20 for my other room for Free!! they only thing is, that for some stupid reason they won't FedEx me the second one, they gave me an instalation appt. for next month even though I don't need one because I already have all the necessary equipment to do it myself, just hook it up... they make no sense to me

#8 OFFLINE   giden

giden

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:10 AM

Had the same thing happen. I'm in the Shenandoah Valley, VA. Took the day off yesterday (9/20)..........appt. was set up weeks ago......*D called yesterday morning and "requested" me to reschedule. I said I had taken the day off, their response, "installer can't make it, so you need to reschedule". I said, well, it's not a request then, is it? So, they're coming 10/7. Fingers crossed. And NOT happy in the valley!
:icon_peac

HR20-700
Vizio 42 Plasma
Harmon Kardon AVR 230
Magnavox MRV 640 DVD
RC32 RF
HDMI ; 1080i
5-Lnb; MPEG4 Locals

#9 OFFLINE   munangst

munangst

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:01 AM

I had the same thing happen in Pittsburgh, PA. I had a 1pm-5pm timeslot yesterday. When I called Ironwood at 9:30AM they said I was the 2nd install of the timeslot and the installer should be there between 2:30pm-3pm. Around 3:45pm the installer called to say that his first job had taken five hours (!) and that he had another four jobs to do before getting to us, so he probably wouldn't be able to make it out, but he'd do the best he could. At 4:45pm he called to say he had to cancel, and I should call Ironwood to reschedule.

Initially when I called, the rep said that the first available install date they had was Oct. 19. I told her that was unacceptable, that I had already waited three weeks for my install, and I wasn't going to wait another three because they overbooked their installer. I said I didn't care what they had to do, but I expected it to be done by the end of the week. She put me on hold and called the manager of the local Ironwood office, and now I have an 8am-noon appt on Friday (9/22). She also put a note on the order asking that I be the first install of the day, to minimize the chances that I'd get pushed back due to another install running over.

So, the morals of the story are:

1) Ironwood sucks! The installer and CSR both admitted to me that they way overbook their installer schedules, and they're getting killed by the combination of Ka/Ku dish installs, and retailers like Best Buy that promise "buy it today, have it installed tomorrow". But, IMHO, that's not Best Buy or DTV's fault, they just don't hire enough techs. When I call Comcast and set up an install it's usually within 2-3 days, or at most a week, and the tech shows up on time.

2) Don't just take it when they push you back another 2-3 weeks. Maybe it's not fair, but even if it means they have to bump someone else back a day, or call an installer in for overtime, make them keep their committment.

I also plan to call DTV retention today and b*tch about the fact that I wasted a half day off and spent over an hour on the phone with Ironwood dealing with this crap.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with retention. The rep gave me a $20 "missed appointment" credit. It's not much, but given that I'm already getting my HR20 + 5LNB dish + OTA antenna for free (if they can ever get to my house to install it) I guess I shouldn't be greedy.

#10 OFFLINE   jbertarellis

jbertarellis

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:45 PM

Scott

Same thing happened to us in St. Louis. I had my doubts to begin with that I would get HR20. My wife sat there from 1 - 5, At 4:00 they called to tell us they would be there in 1/2 hour. 3 hours later I called to find out why I hadn't seen or heard from anyone. D* excuse was that installer went to warehouse to pick up equipment and realized they were out. Now have me scheduled for Oct.7. I told them if they had wrong equipment to not even show up. Seems that maybe they should tell their employees what they are actually selling

#11 OFFLINE   munch

munch

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:50 AM

I ordered a HR20 online last week and scheduled the install for this morning. I got a call from the installer around 8:30 saying they didn't have the HR20 in stock. They claim they ran out yesterday and didn't get any in their shipment today.

I called and rescheduled for a Tuesday morning install. Hopefully they will have the equipment in stock by then. I was looking forward to ST this weekend.:(

#12 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:52 AM

Same story in Denver. Install scheduled for 8-12 today. Ironwood called at 8:15 to cancel because they didn't have any more HR20s. A supervisor is supposed to call me later to tell me when they'll be able to reschedule.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...