Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Channel 101 & 103???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nitram22

nitram22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:20 AM

I just sold my 921 to someone on ebay who is complaining about the purchase and wants to return it. Here's his spiel:

The 921 is not subscribable for HD, it is only usable for standard definition, if the receiver worked as advertised. This info is direct from DISH Network when I tried to subscribe. Also the free preview channels, 101 & 103, do not show up at all, just the headers. Since the unit does not work properly as advertised, I would like to return it and get my money back.

Now obvious to point 1, he didn't do his homework, so he's out of luck there, but how about his second point about channels 101 & 103?? Should he be able to get those (not knowing anything about dish aiming status)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

What are you talking about the 921 isn't subscribable for HD? It can't receive the mpeg4 HD channels, but it should be able to be subbed for the mpeg2 hd channels.

If his dish is pointed right to get 119, he should be receiving channels 101 and 103 without the 921 being subbed. If he's getting header information, but no video, then there may very well be something wrong with the receiver.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:40 PM

Mark- why didn't you suggest he check out the Dish HD demo channel? That would proove the 921 can get HD. Then suggest the buyer call the CSR again and try to subscribe to just the HD pack and the HBO and Showtime packs. The MP2 HD channels should all come up if he was able to see the Demo channel. Right?

#4 OFFLINE   nitram22

nitram22

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:27 PM

Another thing I just thought about - what if he didn't hook up both inputs, or used the wrong kind of separator, would either of those cause his problems?

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

As Don said, if he has a dish pointed at 61.5, he should receive the HD demo channel without being subbed as well.

Even if only had one input hooked up, he'd get a picture on 101 and 103 if the 921 is tuned on the correct tuner. If it were on the wrong tuner, it would be stuck at the ATTN 015 acquiring satellite signal screen. That wouldn't cause the banner to display, but no video.

Now obvious to point 1, he didn't do his homework, so he's out of luck there...

That statement in the original post raises a red flag with me, so I have to ask the obvious question here: Did the 921 work properly before you sold it on ebay?
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#6 OFFLINE   nitram22

nitram22

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:49 PM

That statement in the original post raises a red flag with me, so I have to ask the obvious question here: Did the 921 work properly before you sold it on ebay?

Yes, it did. The buyer got back to me, seems he was able to get it working and subbed, so all is well. Thanks for the input/help!!

Marty

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:21 PM

Good deal. Glad to hear it. :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#8 OFFLINE   Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:55 PM

I thought Dish would no longer activate HD programming on a 921 for a new subscriber. That's what they told me when I canceled my original HD pak a month or so ago. Since I had shut it off, they would not reactivate it for me or a new subscriber who I sold it to. Is this no longer the case???
2-HR24-500, 1-H25-500 WHDVR, Wireless CCK
S-3 SWM Dish
OTA Winegard HD7698P Rooftop

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:25 AM

That matches my recollection of previous discussion. The MPEG2 HD receivers can continue getting the old HD Pak, but won't be activated for it unless you either have another receiver with it, or have a DishHD metal package which requires also having an MPEG4 receiver.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

spam firewall