Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The CW On DishNetwork.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Buzzdar

Buzzdar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:51 PM

What CW network is everyone receiving? Do you have one of the superstations too? Well me for one have WPIX one of the superstations and now i am getting KTLA Free on channel 252. Am i getting channel 252 because i already have the east coast feed? just curious. would i be getting a different channel besides channel 252 if i didnt have the WPIX channel?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,796 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:09 PM

We're still trying to figure out what is going on in the Uplink Activity thread.

Apparently the abrupt change of 251 and 252 to related Superstations is only the first step. New CW and CW-W distant network channels are coming to 254 and 255. Details have not been announced.

#3 OFFLINE   odbrv

odbrv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:38 PM

What CW network is everyone receiving? Do you have one of the superstations too? Well me for one have WPIX one of the superstations and now i am getting KTLA Free on channel 252. Am i getting channel 252 because i already have the east coast feed? just curious. would i be getting a different channel besides channel 252 if i didnt have the WPIX channel?

I have the superstation package. There are 3 CW stations WPIX,KWGN,and KTLA. There is also one MY network station, WWOR. WSBK and WGN still seem to be independents. The 3 CW stations will make it convenient for recording. It reminds me of C-band days when I received east, mountain , and west coast networks. I hope CW gets sucessful and gets some sport's contracts.
DBS user since 1996: 2 622s with 2 SimpleTech 500GB and 1 WD 1.5 TB EHDs , 1st 622 has 1-PROSCAN LCD 240hz 42" via HDMI (using a Pioneer VSX 516 home theater) and a Toshiba 36" SD via tv2; 2nd 622 has 1-Vizio 3D HDTV 42" via HDMI (with a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3d via HDMI) and 3 SD TVs connected to tv2.

#4 OFFLINE   alebowgm

alebowgm

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

Sports on CW would be nice, but I think all contracts are locked up across the board. I think the first contract of a major 4 sport that is due up is NHL at the end of this year with NBC. NFL is locked up for a while, and I believe MLB is as well. NBA may be in a few years.

#5 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

I have the superstation package. There are 3 CW stations WPIX,KWGN,and KTLA. There is also one MY network station, WWOR. WSBK and WGN still seem to be independents. The 3 CW stations will make it convenient for recording. It reminds me of C-band days when I received east, mountain , and west coast networks. I hope CW gets sucessful and gets some sport's contracts.

WGN is not really a superstation. But is the OTA WGN a CW affiliate? Just wondering.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,620 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

Kind of a non-issue for me here in Raleigh as our WB became CW and our UPN became My Network... and Dish already carried both locals before, so it was an automatic thing. Plus I get them both OTA as well, and my CW is in HD... no HD on My Network though, but I haven't seen anything on there worth my interest thus far anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:53 PM

But is the OTA WGN a CW affiliate? Just wondering.

Yes.

The local version is carried on Bell ExpressVu.

#8 OFFLINE   cobra2225

cobra2225

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:30 PM

no c.w in owensboro,ky

i think it because it's a low power station,and dish won't carry it
For english press 1 to leave a message,
for spanish press2,hang up learn to speak english
and call back.

David :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   alebowgm

alebowgm

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:28 AM

WGN is not really a superstation. But is the OTA WGN a CW affiliate? Just wondering.

There are 2 WGN stations (Well 3 if you count the radio station in Chicago). WGN9 is the local CW station in the Chicago area. If you live in the Chicago DMA you get this station. Superstation WGN is a national station that is not affiliated with any network. WGN9 is a OTA station in Chicago.

WGN 9 and WGN Superstation draw from the same schedule when it comes to sporting events. There was a point when the two stations aired the same content, however that changed in the mid to late 90's.

It should be noted that if you live in the Chicago DMA, local cable providers do not actually have WGN Superstation in their lineup, so it is only available via DBS providers.

#10 OFFLINE   midwave

midwave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:23 AM

I pay the $1.50 for the WPIX-CW11 Superstation.
I'd LOVE to get the local digital-only WCWB Ch.20, but no one but the local cable companies offer that...which is the same predicidemt as the new MyYTV (MY-Network affiliate) that is ONLY on digital cable.
On top of this, EVERYONE gets frequently-viewed Ch.43 WUAB on cable in the entire try-county area for the past 25 years, and even as far away as Columbus, OH...yet DishNetwork still doesn't offer this channel to my area.
I think the entire frequently-viewed local channel proposal was a scam, and was never intended to be fair to satellite subscribers.

#11 OFFLINE   shadalert

shadalert

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:35 AM

251 - CW from New York
252 - CW from Los Angeles
254 - CW from Miami
255 - CW from San Diego

#12 OFFLINE   Sparkman87

Sparkman87

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

There are 2 WGN stations (Well 3 if you count the radio station in Chicago). WGN9 is the local CW station in the Chicago area. If you live in the Chicago DMA you get this station. Superstation WGN is a national station that is not affiliated with any network. WGN9 is a OTA station in Chicago.

WGN 9 and WGN Superstation draw from the same schedule when it comes to sporting events. There was a point when the two stations aired the same content, however that changed in the mid to late 90's.

It should be noted that if you live in the Chicago DMA, local cable providers do not actually have WGN Superstation in their lineup, so it is only available via DBS providers.

All of this is true except fot one thing. They do not have the exact same schedule for sporting events. The NBA limits to 14 I believe the number of Bulls Games that are available to Superstation WGN. There are an additional 10 games that WGN 9 will show & another 6 that WGN will produce, but air locally on WCIU. BTW, 5 of the WGN 9 games will also be airing on ESPN or TNT so the Bulls will be getting pretty good national exposure this year.

#13 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

The whole thinking behind this is very dubious.

The idea was the same as a corporate merger, but the boat anchor was not that WB & UPN competed with each other for the same ratings points, but rather the whole "network affiliates" concept.

So, since we still have the same number of network affiliate stations as before, we still have the same number of networks - CW and MN instead of WB and UPN.

The only thing that CW has going for it is continuation of a few mildly successful shows which will eventually die out. In contrast, the MN idea of telenovellas in English and other low cost programming has more long-term future.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#14 OFFLINE   sunfire29841

sunfire29841

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

I have the superstations too 2/5/11

Before I had to move (I'm one of "those" people) I also had the CW East (WBZL Miami) in lieu of the Charleston CW affil which is on a DT subcarrier of the NBC affiliate.

Had to move because we always lost the locals between 10AM and 5PM even though we were well within the spotbeam. Now ours comes out of Atlanta.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,796 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

Augusta GA locals are now on 20s7 on 110° ...
Charleston SC is on 4s2 ...

Were Augusta locals on 110 when you were having problems?

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:05 PM

Kind of a non-issue for me here in Raleigh as our WB became CW and our UPN became My Network... and Dish already carried both locals before, so it was an automatic thing. Plus I get them both OTA as well, and my CW is in HD... no HD on My Network though, but I haven't seen anything on there worth my interest thus far anyway.

You'll won't see anything of interest on Mntn because thats all they have. Its for women I guess.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

You'll won't see anything of interest on Mntn because thats all they have. Its for women I guess.

This makes me wonder why no one has started the Things Blowing Up Channel. :D
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#18 OFFLINE   lionsrule

lionsrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

The following message was on the website of our local cw affiliate "westmichigancw":

Echostar's Dish satellite network has come to an agreement with The CW to carry local CW affiliates. We expect an official announcement soon.

See it for yourself: http://www.westmichigancw.com/

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,796 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:02 PM

Cool. That would be another DT.2 station on Dish (since the CW is WWMT's 3.2 feed).

#20 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:22 AM

Also, the SOON HD channels could be NBC HD East and West. There had been talk in the past I thought. CW is most likely though. Based on the satellite locations, I am hoping for MPEG2 and that KTLA will be one of them (or at least O&O access like CBS HD on 148/61.5).

Rasheed

Protected By... spam firewall...And...