Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The end of the gravy train?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rmingee

rmingee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:52 PM

Well, I finally got tired of all the messages here from people who have been customers for much less time than myself and who did not pay $1000 for the HR10 when it first came out, but who nonetheless were able to get a free HR20 and just pay the cost of shipping simply by calling and asking.

I originally called my "A List number" on the membership card they gave me, and the first lady didn't seem interested in discussing the issue with me, so transferred me to "someone else". After 15 minutes on hold, that somone else said the most they were authorized to do was give me $100 off, bringing the price down to $199. I thanked the lady, and said I was hoping for more.

Next, I called the toll-free number for retention that was posted here. The gentleman I talked to there said that as of 2 days ago, it was true that many people were getting them basically for only the cost of shipping, but that the offer had been terminated, and the most they could do now was $199 spread over 3 months. I told him I was pretty disappointed that many people who had given a lot less to them had been given a better deal than me, and that I missed out simply because I didn't call in time. I was extremely polite, and didn't take the situation out on him. He agreed, but said his hands were tied. I asked him if it would help to try back again in a few days, and he said it couldn't hurt.

It's funny, I started out figuring it was worth a shot to try, and that if they told me no, I had lost nothing but a few minutes on the phone. Now I'm pissed. The fact that they would run this offer for a limited time and then cut it off with no exceptions made for the specific customer situation seems really unfair to me. I think I'll try calling back tomorrow, and if I get the same answer, I'll ask for a supervisor. I'm not going to threaten to close my account, because I have no intention of doing that, or lying about to get special treatment. I'd simply like to see an acknowledgement of that loyalty.

If anyone is still reading this rant by now, there is actually a question, and a point to my post: Has anyone gotten a better deal than $199 from retention in the last 2 days?

Thanks,
-- robert

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

According to the information I have been given:

If you currently own an HR10, then the HR20 is $99... and you get to keep your HR10-250.

I have gotten that information from at least 4 different people, that have been VERY reliable.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   bgbruce

bgbruce

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:03 PM

Well, I finally got tired of all the messages here from people who have been customers for much less time than myself and who did not pay $1000 for the HR10 when it first came out, but who nonetheless were able to get a free HR20 and just pay the cost of shipping simply by calling and asking.

I originally called my "A List number" on the membership card they gave me, and the first lady didn't seem interested in discussing the issue with me, so transferred me to "someone else". After 15 minutes on hold, that somone else said the most they were authorized to do was give me $100 off, bringing the price down to $199. I thanked the lady, and said I was hoping for more.

Next, I called the toll-free number for retention that was posted here. The gentleman I talked to there said that as of 2 days ago, it was true that many people were getting them basically for only the cost of shipping, but that the offer had been terminated, and the most they could do now was $199 spread over 3 months. I told him I was pretty disappointed that many people who had given a lot less to them had been given a better deal than me, and that I missed out simply because I didn't call in time. I was extremely polite, and didn't take the situation out on him. He agreed, but said his hands were tied. I asked him if it would help to try back again in a few days, and he said it couldn't hurt.

It's funny, I started out figuring it was worth a shot to try, and that if they told me no, I had lost nothing but a few minutes on the phone. Now I'm pissed. The fact that they would run this offer for a limited time and then cut it off with no exceptions made for the specific customer situation seems really unfair to me. I think I'll try calling back tomorrow, and if I get the same answer, I'll ask for a supervisor. I'm not going to threaten to close my account, because I have no intention of doing that, or lying about to get special treatment. I'd simply like to see an acknowledgement of that loyalty.

If anyone is still reading this rant by now, there is actually a question, and a point to my post: Has anyone gotten a better deal than $199 from retention in the last 2 days?

Thanks,
-- robert

I posted my experience on Friday in the "What are the deals..." thread in the other forum - and I got this for less than $199. That was more than 2 calendar days ago, but less than 2 working days ago.

#4 OFFLINE   luv2fly3

luv2fly3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

I received a pretty good offer including a free HR20 as a swap of my owned HR10 just today. Not sure why you aren't getting the same. I've been a customer back to the Primestar days and own my HR10.

Lars

#5 OFFLINE   oldguy1

oldguy1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

If you currently own an HR10, then the HR20 is $99... and you get to keep your HR10-250.

I have gotten that information from at least 4 different people, that have been VERY reliable.

Apparently D* is still not giving the CSR's all the info on the upgrades. I called and was told that I would have to swap out BOTH my owned and leased HR 10-250's.

Both CSR's swore the 10-250 would not work on the new 5LNB.

HA!

Told both sweet gals where they could put their HR20-700.

#6 OFFLINE   rmingee

rmingee

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

But what if the only reason we don't have one is because it failed, and it cost DirecTV nothing to replace it for me? (That's rhetorical, BTW -- I'm not expecting you to answer me, Earl :) )

Have you heard that within the last 2 days? Or was it prior to that? If they pulled this deal because it was costing them too much money giving away so many machines, the right answer would have been to "raise the bar" to qualify, not just stop it altogether.

-- robert

#7 OFFLINE   gwrentch03

gwrentch03

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:18 PM

Earl, I was one who received a HR20 for free and mine was installed last week. The question I have is what would happen if I wanted a extra one for another high def tv ? Would I get that for 99.00 ? Has anyone here added a extra one ? To talk to the above posts, When I did call I received a run around and even was accidently hung up on. Called back and told the 1st level CSR and they said they were going to transfer me to retention and just tell them I was going to go to dish. After a bit of discussion with retention and being a customer for over 10 years they gave it to me free well 19.95 shipping. I think you have to act like your very unhappy and then they seem to cave in. I would continue to try if I were you.. you have nothing to lose. Good luck... Gwrentch03

#8 OFFLINE   bgartz

bgartz

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

I called today and the deal was $99 plus 19.95 for handling. I was told this is the deal for having the HR10. They then offered me $10 off my bill for 12 months ("Since I was one of their best customers"). At no time did I ask for anything, I just asked about getting the new box.
I have my install on Thursday.

#9 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

Thanks,
-- robert

Trust me, I hear you!

I went through the CSR death spiral several times trying to get ANY sort of deal for the HR20. I kept being told "it is ONLY available in LA". I finally bit the bullet and bought it at Best Buy. I had a $100 gift card, which reduced the price to $199. When I went to activate the box, they gave me a $150 credit, $20 off per month for 6 months, a free AT9 dish and installation.

In this past Sunday's paper, Best Buy included an ad that offered the HR20 for $199, which included a $100 rebate. Have to wonder if this is yet another Best Buy exclusive and D* won't beat that price.

#10 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:30 AM

I received mine for $39 on Sunday, if the promised credits are made to my account.

I called Retention directly, as that was the number they left on my answering machine after I emailed them, asking for a deal. This was my second call--first time, about a week ago, they could do nothing for me.

I was super nice and did not mention what anyone else was getting, just looking for help in saving money. I have only been a customer for two months, but I do have TCPremier and ST.

#11 OFFLINE   LaCosaNostra

LaCosaNostra

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:52 AM

I ordered the HR20 today ( installed in DFW market on 10/8 ) for $99 and a 2 year committment. They threw in Super Fan, the 5 LNB dish and installation. Started out asking for $299. Also stated "one HR20 per household for 6 months " ; however, I could get another one from a retailer ( CC or BBuy ).

I am an "A" lister ( whatever that means ) and have the HR10-250. CSR perked up once I said I bought it recently.

#12 OFFLINE   cybrsurfer

cybrsurfer

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 614 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

Earl, I was one who received a HR20 for free and mine was installed last week. The question I have is what would happen if I wanted a extra one for another high def tv ? Would I get that for 99.00 ? Has anyone here added a extra one ? To talk to the above posts, When I did call I received a run around and even was accidently hung up on. Called back and told the 1st level CSR and they said they were going to transfer me to retention and just tell them I was going to go to dish. After a bit of discussion with retention and being a customer for over 10 years they gave it to me free well 19.95 shipping. I think you have to act like your very unhappy and then they seem to cave in. I would continue to try if I were you.. you have nothing to lose. Good luck... Gwrentch03

I received two HR20 receivers for the cost of $99.00 + $19.95 handling for a total of $118.95. The installer came earlier than scheduled and ran extra cable to second set. I Already had a AT-9 on the roof aligned properly. The installer came Friday September 15, 2006, exactly 24 hours after I placed the order by phone. The installer mentioned that my istall was the last on his schedule for the day and that it was slower than what he expected for a Friday.

#13 OFFLINE   Ben_jd

Ben_jd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:11 PM

Spoke with Retention and got $199 plus $40 off HD programming over next 4 months and $60 off of regular programming over next 6 months. May have been able to get it lower, but wasn't going to waste the brain cells on it.

*NFL ST subscriber for 8-9 years, 2nd year as SuperFan, HD programming for 1 year

#14 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

Shouldn't this thread be in the ordering and installation subforum?

#15 OFFLINE   tochill

tochill

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

They gave me a free HR10 a month ago and then a free HR20 a week ago. I called yesterday and they are letting me swap out my 5 HR10's for $99 each and i get to keep the HR10's

#16 OFFLINE   rmingee

rmingee

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:07 PM

OK, you guys were right, I just needed to be patient. I called back again tonight, and they gave me one for just the cost of shipping, and will be bringing it with them when they come out on 9/29 to install my 5lnb dish. I would have been willing to pay more (but not $199), but I wasn't going to argue when she offered me that :-).

-- robert

#17 OFFLINE   rtphokie

rtphokie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

Spoke with Retention and got $199 plus $40 off HD programming over next 4 months and $60 off of regular programming over next 6 months. May have been able to get it lower, but wasn't going to waste the brain cells on it.

*NFL ST subscriber for 8-9 years, 2nd year as SuperFan, HD programming for 1 year

Is HD programming free for 4 months a customer retention deal, a Best Buy promotion, DirecTV promotion, HR20 promotion, an A-Lister promotion or was the activation lady just being nice?

#18 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:31 PM

Is HD programming free for 4 months a customer retention deal, a Best Buy promotion, DirecTV promotion, HR20 promotion, an A-Lister promotion or was the activation lady just being nice?

Yes! :D

I see it is a Best Buy promotion, but I was also able to get it with my HR20 order.

#19 OFFLINE   Ben_jd

Ben_jd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:36 PM

She didn't volunteer it; I had to push (gently and politely) for every concession. If I didn't have work to do, I may have tried to get an even better deal.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...