Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Confused about Timers and HD??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:42 AM

I don't see why E* can't put out a two OTA tuner receiver if it's competition can?
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

I don't see why E* can't put out a two OTA tuner receiver if it's competition can?

I feel sure they could, but, remember, it's a SATELLITE-delivered TV company. :)

#23 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

I feel sure they could, but, remember, it's a SATELLITE-delivered TV company. :)

Yep.. and also Dish is still figuring on eventually having locals in HD up on the satellite for most markets... so at some point having another OTA tuner will be less important than it is now.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#24 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

When "the competition" delivered the last HD two OTA Sat receiver we called the two OTA tuners paper weights... they were DOA. :rolleyes:

#25 OFFLINE   larsdennert

larsdennert

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

Wow this has really helped me as a noob to DVR. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it often records HD programs using tuner 2 and I'm thinking it doesn't record those in HD. Sounds like it does record properly. Yea I know... watch it to see if it's HD...

I read the FAQ pdf that dish put out on mode settings but I'm still a bit hazy. I have one HDTV hooked to the 622 (an HP LC4276N 42" 1080p LCD; great TV BTW) and I'm struggling to figure out what the true purpose of Record Plus is. It seems to just set the preference for which tuner to use when doing instant recording of live tv. When I record future stuff, I can't make any rhyme or reason as to which tuner it will use. I messed with the settings so much trying to figure it out that I've confused myself. :hurah:

So my questions are:
Since the tuner 2 presumably can record HD it would make sense to have it chosen first to record a program so I can continue watching something else on tuner 1 and only use tuner 1 to record if 2 is already tasked out. How do I best do that?

If I use single user mode is that an even better choice for me? Is that where PIP comes into play where I could swap tuners say tuner 1 is stuck recording something, I could PIP swap and watch an HD program using tuner 2?

#26 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

If I use single user mode is that an even better choice for me? Is that where PIP comes into play where I could swap tuners say tuner 1 is stuck recording something, I could PIP swap and watch an HD program using tuner 2?

In Single Mode you do not care in the least which tuner is used to record.

Take a simple case. You have one timer set for 8:00 PM-9:00PM tonight. At 8:30PM you turn your TV on (with your 622 in Single Mode.) If you want to change the channel you are viewing, just do so. The single scheduled recording will simply go on in the background on whatever tuner you are using and you will view on the other tuner. The choice of which tuner is being utilized for recording becomes a non-issue in Single Mode.

Disclaimer: If you are recording OTA, that fact is important in either Single or Dual Mode as you can not simultaneously view a second live OTA station owing to the fact that there is only one OTA Tuner.

#27 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

Because Dish uses repetitive nomenclature (the same names for those of you in Rio Linda) it is confusing when talking about TV1 and TV2.

There are three tuners and two outputs to deal with, but dish has only labels TV1 and TV2.

They should have called the tuners OTA, SAT1 and SAT2 and called the outputs TV1 and TV2.

I have tried to convey this to dish, but it seemed to go in one (deaf) ear and out the other.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#28 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

Because Dish uses repetitive nomenclature (the same names for those of you in Rio Linda) it is confusing when talking about TV1 and TV2.

They should have called the tuners OTA, SAT1 and SAT2 and called the outputs TV1 and TV2.

All I can say to that is 'amen, brother'. Even those in Rio Linda could understand that.:D

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

spam firewall