Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installation Troubles - AT9

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gillum

gillum

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the info on this board. Got a great deal on two HR20 units and installation was to have been on Tuesday. Problem is - the dish is huge. The installer came outfollowed by about 4 of his co-workers - he didn't have the HR20s on his truck. My old dish is eave mounted which evidently can't support the weight of the AT9. They looked around for a while and decided roof or a pole in my yard was best. A pole is not an option due to HOA as well as simple asthetics. They couldn't find the studs in the roof; not sure they really tried. I wanted a chimney mount but they said the slope of the roof was such that it was unsafe to go up there. I said that maybe a pole mount was okay if they put it in the back of my yard and buried cable (at least it would be hidden in the tree line) but they said the cable run would be too far.

Bottom line: they must get paid either way because there wasn't a lot of effort put into finding an agreeable installation. I said no to the pole and sent them away. I called D* to cxl and switch to cable and they persuaded me to speak to another installer or supervisor. That person is supposed to call tomorrow. What a pain. I like D* (been with them for 8 yrs with Sat-T60, HR10, etc). Maybe they can work something out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:42 AM

I have been very concerned about getting the 5 LNB dish installed which is due to be installed soon because I have heard such horror stories about how heavy the thing is. My current dish a 3 LNB is installed on my wooden deck railing, on one of the posts, I like having it there where I can easily see it and get to it to brush snow off of it if necessary when heavy wet snow can sometimes take the satellite out temporarily. I have never wanted a dish on my roof, I wouldn't even consider that. I have heard about the new dish being installed on a pole, is that considered a "standard installation" as in no additional charge. Could it perhaps be placed next to the deck? I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this. I am concerned about this issue.

#3 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:14 PM

Fight to get an installer with a brain and maybe some knowledge of home construction.

My P3 [and preceding] was fastened to the end soffit = 1x10 over a 2x10 rafter. We're all flat roofs in NM. He took a look at the original install. Realized there was a rafter behind the end board. Took off everything for the P3 right down to the "foot" -- and installed the AT9 in exactly the same spot.

Rock solid. Last night a line storm went through with 50 knot gusts and some areas getting up to 8" of hail. Nothing budged. Though I did turn everything off for ab't 10 minutes while the lightning strikes were 8-10/minute!

spam firewall