Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My First Bad Install Story--I guess I've been lucky!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   uncrph90

uncrph90

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

OK, I got a great deal on 2 HR20's last friday from retention and was scheduled for a Wednesday (the 21st) install from 8-12. I had a 1:30 appt I couldn't miss, but I've had two great experiences with our local sub (Mostec-Advanced Technologies?) so I wasn't worried. I have also had a Dish Network and another DirecTV install that were smooth as well. All the wiring was ready--just had to dig a hole and mount the dish. Simple, right?

I get a call around 10:30 from the installer. He's on his way to his next stop and then he will come see me. He just had to confirm the work order for one (1) HR20 and one (1) SD DVR. No go, I say--need 2 HR20's. He only has one on the van--his work order only says one. I ask, can you install the dish and one, and bring another by late this afternoon or tomorrow (Thursday.) NO--he must do exactly what the workorder says or nothing. He told me to call DirecTV to get them to clarify the work order, since they had it wrong and reschedule for later. I hang up and call DirecTV--they confirm the order, but they show 3 (three) HR20's. Wow, my deal keeps getting better.

I call the installation company's supervisor (got his number just in case) from the installer. He checked and confirmed the work order at the shop was for 3 HR20's and somehow (still unknown) a typo was make for the tech or he misread his sheet. said they could be installed next week. Not acceptable! I pointed out DirecTV had done everything right, I had done everything right and he WOULD get my equipment installed. I again offered for Thursday--he said I would have to reschedule through DirecTV, but the earliest they had was next week.

Called retention department this time. They called the install supervisor and must have read him the riot act because: The install tech called back and said he was leaving his current location right now, and another tech was on his way from the office with my other 2 receivers. Wow--thanks again retention! I guess retention didn't want to have to give me a bunch of credits because their subcontractor goofed up. I had to leave while he was still aligning, and I got to connect and activate the receivers later that afternoon--my preference anyway! :D

A happy ending--but I have more sympathy for everyone who gets hosed by install companies.
Bill

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

Holy cow 3 HR20's!!!!! How did you even get them to give you 2? Most people are told 1 per 6 months if you get from D*.

#3 OFFLINE   uncrph90

uncrph90

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

I have 2 HR10's ( 1 owned and 1 leased) and retention offered to "swap" them both for $99 each. But, with the "swap" they don't ask for them as long as they are active on your account. Then they gave me $150 credit and 4 months free HD pack, so I'm in for about $25 with tax. I still don't know what's up with the 3rd one. I know it wasn't because of good living! Heck--I only have 3 TV's--just one HDTV, but I plan on upgrading one for Christmas. I don't know what I will do with my owned HR10--I don't want to get rid of it on Ebay.
Bill

Protected By... spam firewall...And...