Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D*tv teaches "How to lose money 101"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frills

Frills

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:55 PM

Had an install scheduled for Monday it was a simple one, bring reciever and plug in 1 HDMI cable, 2 Cables for sound, 1 phone line, and then plug box into wall...it rained, so D* cancelled the install, because the installers tend to melt in the rain, especially on the jobs that don't require a dish to be mounted on the roof. So they called and notified me that they could reschedule for "Thursday". Assuming when someone calls a day by name versus date and name they are talking about the present week it wasn't an issue. Wednesday I checked online just to make sure it was scheduled, I find out they scheduled it for next Thursday.

Here's where it gets hilarious. I pull into the driveway this evening and notice the neighbor has a contractor working on something, look at the truck and see its a D*tv installer. Since on the work order they placed when I finally got someone to admit the HR-20's were available, included an LNB-5 (which they installed in May). I had him double check my dish, yup I had LNB-5 which they refused to believe was on my roof even though the work order from May stated it was installed.

I just got off the phone with D*tv install, for some reason I decided to do my "good deed" for the month, and notified them of the redundancy on the work order.

What D*tv hasn't figured out:

When running a service/installation business

Rule #1: Get the job done right the first time. The second you send someone to the job to correct a problem you're losing money. All the fuel and labor costs for the second trip were not calculated in the cost of the install.

Rule #2: Plan the next day's runs the night before. This is so trucks can be loaded that night by a smaller workforce (less labor), and the downtime for the installers in the morning is cut drastically, since they can arrive in the morning and head out to the jobs versus waiting on their material to be pulled/loaded.

Rule #3: Group your work orders by area, not by date if possible. Its very simple to configure a database by zipcode, and if you want to be evan more efficient you can add a subdivision field into it as well.

If you screw up and have to go back to a job, most likely you have a pissed off customer which in many cases you just had to give them something to keep their business (there's no profit in giving things away, believe it or not, the opposite is true). So you just accumulated a small bit of goodwill with the customer and hopefully pacified them until you can fix the mistake. What do you think will go through a previously volitile customer's mind when they see your installation truck nextdoor and you informed them that it would be a week until you can send someone back to their house to fix an issue? FYI: they are not very nice thoughts.

Now lets look at the situation if D*tv didn't have their heads completely rammed up their hindparts, or at least had their bellybutton replaced by a porthole so they could see whats going on with their company.

Assuming they have to go back to a job, and they organized the runs by locations they would know what is needed and timeframes. A call to the disgruntled customer informing them you would be in the area and could take care of the issue ahead of schedule has never in the history of time pissed anyone off. Even if they can't accomdate their schedule to meet you, it leaves a good impression. If they can meet you, you saved the cost of the fuel, wear and tear on the vehicle, labor of an installer driving back to the site, and probbably saved future business.

How D*tv is set up now, they don't know your equipment or they do and its the information retrieving system (aka customer service/sales). Scheduling is done on first come first serve, and when D*tv has to cancel and reschedule an appointment that customer is put at the end of the line. Their communication between divisions is horrible, often the left hand has no clue what the right hand is doing.

Its amazing how an agreement which expires in 4 years is keeping D*tv in business, face it, if they didn't have the NFL, would you keep their service?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:56 PM

D* installs are handled by outside contractor companies, and they are usually to blame for some of the really wacky stuff.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...